Aircraft maint issues

No it is easier to realize only 20% wanted a change, and the other 80% , were perfectly happy with AMFA representation. And when they had ex Northwest management , I thought this end like Northwest, and it didn't. So time to move on. So if it takes 5 to 6 years to get a deal everytime I need to relax and quit acting like a dipshit, and let the union do it's job. So with 17 years to go in my career , I should see 2.5 contracts.

So in other words from now on you’re not going to have your own mind anymore and you’re calling yourself a dipshit for not being mindless and questioning things.

Have fun being a Sheep I guess. And enjoy that money they got for you.

Do you want to divulge what those Mechanics got in return back then to give up that work?

Isn’t it pretty similar to what the Company is offering today?

Lots of Money.

Maintenance got nothing for losing deicing other then losing an easy 4 OT.

He totally should; in the last few years, we've opened (or reopened) several line stations, built up our MRO business, and just opened a pretty badass test cell.

That’s because the mechanics do mechanics work. Not move airplanes not build up seats, fill O2 bottles. Etc. Delta mechs do mech work and are very efficient, they don’t lose their mind if they work at hgr and have to go work on a plane at the terminal. But that’s weak management and a culture that permits here at aa.

Maintenance got nothing for losing deicing other then losing an easy 4 OT.

Wasn’t that given up as part of the 1995 Contracts?

There were guys back in LGA that I worked with who were on the clock for 3 straight days during major snow events.

When they needed to sleep the Company put them in the Hotels across the Highway.

Isn’t it ironic that now that they’re in the very same position those people were who sold them out all those years ago and they hated them so much, they’re now ready to do the same damn thing to the next generation.

And I’m sure their “excuse” will be they aren’t as naive as they once were.

I agree with the irony but don’t feel we are in any way in the “Very same position” as they were. They enjoyed careers with excellent benefits like free healthcare, full pension, a days pay for accrued sick leave instead of $25 and industry competitive wages, things that have been given up during my career. A lot are waiting on the “Buyout” just to pad their retirements and yes will vote to take the money and run.

I agree with the irony but don’t feel we are in any way in the “Very same position” as they were. They enjoyed careers with excellent benefits like free healthcare, full pension, a days pay for accrued sick leave instead of $25 and industry competitive wages, things that have been given up during my career. A lot are waiting on the “Buyout” just to pad their retirements and yes will vote to take the money and run.

This is an excellent counterpoint to give food for thought. I was originally thinking those buyouts made up some for those items you mentioned but then I remembered that before I hired on those guys also usually got 5/5 buyouts as well.

Did their Retiree Medical Benefits end at 65 or did the maintain access to a Company plan or Medicare Part B?

And BTW I don’t have a problem with guys looking to take the money and run. I just want them to be truthful about it. Had a bad taste left in my mouth from guys who tried to shyster me to vote in their direction for just that reason back in early 1995.

So they got the guys paid and still lost the jobs to contractors. When Hawaii is lucrative enough we will put maintenance in there, just liked we did Denver, in the process of building new Hangars in Denver, Houston, Phoenix, and Baltimore. So tell me I think the latest hangar American is building is Brazil, so will those mechanics be Association members?. We had better overtime rules when we were Teamsters, then AMFA kept it. You are the ones keeping your membership in the dark. You are the ones shitting on the TWU membership.
I think you may have forgot one, it's either LA or LS, heard they were hiring too.

A little history lesson, Mek….Both the IAM and TWU gladly moved once-mechanic jobs over to the ramp long before bankruptcies. It started in the early to mid 80's. And guess what, Mek? Fleet and ramp gladly jumped into those push tractors and deicing buckets. But the unions were happy because fellow union dues payers got the work.
And now we should all be up in arms because DEICING might be outsourced all together? No one will lose a job over deicing because it is NOT a daily function.
The big gripe is all that OVERTIME...That's the gripe.
When all is said and done, fleet or ramp will hop into those tractors and do all the aircraft moves. Happily might I add.
Exactly. Jobs are still being lost or moved over to a different group. The asso. (TWU prior) would gladly allow it to happen because it was still getting performed by a same union represented employee but still in a different category group. It's still taking mechanics jobs.

He totally should; in the last few years, we've opened (or reopened) several line stations, built up our MRO business, and just opened a pretty badass test cell.
Not to mention the 500 AMT jobs Delta is hiring this year. How great is that???

I remember hiring in this joint, all the A scalers station protected making way more then I ever could because I was a freaking C scaler. More vacation too. I remember we l said how ridiculous they were to vote that crap in, then the stories about bus loads of replacement workers. Here we are 35+ years later, company pulling the exact same crap except now they making WAY more money..

Have we learned nothing?
Sounds like Northwest Airlines play book.

Wasn’t that given up as part of the 1995 Contracts?

There were guys back in LGA that I worked with who were on the clock for 3 straight days during major snow events.

When they needed to sleep the Company put them in the Hotels across the Highway.
Actually the TWU started the shift of A&P work to fellow union brothers and sisters in 1983.

And by the way, now it's fleet who stays around the clock with temporary quarters.
That's the uproar...it's all about the OT baby.
The TWU couldn't give a sheet when the mechanics lost the work. So boo hoo.

Isn’t it ironic that now that they’re in the very same position those people were who sold them out all those years ago and they hated them so much, they’re now ready to do the same damn thing to the next generation.

And I’m sure their “excuse” will be they aren’t as naive as they once were.
What irony? The old timers got a lot more in return for their yes vote.
You keep talking about this next generation who aren't even born yet like they're knocking on the door begging to get in.
I am all for protecting every head on payroll now with possibly a minimum headcount. But the union needs to be more realistic.

Don't you think that the new hires over the past few years would vote on a package that gets rid of scores of oldtimers?

Actually the TWU started the shift of A&P work to fellow union brothers and sisters in 1983.

And by the way, now it's fleet who stays around the clock with temporary quarters.
That's the uproar...it's all about the OT baby.
The TWU couldn't give a sheet when the mechanics lost the work. So boo hoo.

Ok we’re back to attacking the acronym again? Who was “TWU” back then? Aren’t all the Locals autonomous BTW?

And it’s not quite only about the OT. Many locations have year round extra headcount because of how much deicing needs to be done.

What irony? The old timers got a lot more in return for their yes vote.

So now you’re being contradictory. It wasn’t any acronym that gave away the work you used to perform, it was

“The old timers who got a lot more in return for their yes vote”

I am all for protecting every head on payroll now with possibly a minimum headcount. But the union needs to be more realistic.

You mean more accommodating and capitulating right?

The Company didn’t get all the work they needed in Bankruptcy in your mind?

Don't you think that the new hires over the past few years would vote on a package that gets rid of scores of oldtimers?

New hires don’t really think and consider that sort of thing when they vote. It’s people like me with about 10 years left who likes seeing the old wood float happily away.

But someone else’s buyout isn’t really at the top of my list for voting yes or no honestly.

Ok we’re back to attacking the acronym again? Who was “TWU” back then? Aren’t all the Locals autonomous BTW?

And it’s not quite only about the OT. Many locations have year round extra headcount because of how much deicing needs to be done.
So you're saying headcount is increased for a job function only done a few times a year?
Oh it's about the OT. You're in MIA. I'm in a cold wx station. I know quite a few fleet people and that's their gripe.

So now you’re being contradictory. It wasn’t any acronym that gave away the work you used to perform, it was “The old timers who got a lot more in return for their yes vote”
Oh you mean the good old days before mx locals? Where mechanics were always outvoted? Is that what you are referring to?
Last time I checked, "old timers" are union dues paying members too.

You mean more accommodating and capitulating right?
The Company didn’t get all the work they needed in Bankruptcy in your mind?
They already had a bankruptcy contract in 2003.

New hires don’t really think and consider that sort of thing when they vote. It’s people like me with about 10 years left who likes seeing the old wood float happily away.
But someone else’s buyout isn’t really at the top of my list for voting yes or no honestly.
So you know what the new hires think and consider?
And like I told you, I won't be taking advantage of any buyout.
My stance is that we will come away from this with the short end of the stick.

Last edited:
Back