Aircraft maint issues

Well, he doesnt think taxiing aircraft, servicing O2, and repairing seats is maintenance work. I guess since mechanics have been doing those jobs since Wilbur and
Orville either doesnt count, or is considered too menial.

I personally don’t think any work is too menial. Be that flying the Plane to being the guy that’s employed to pick up gum wrappers from under the seats.

Some here think otherwise I know.

Reactions: B737 driver
Well, he doesnt think taxiing aircraft, servicing O2, and repairing seats is maintenance work. I guess since mechanics have been doing those jobs since Wilbur and
Orville either doesnt count, or is considered too menial.

Parking airplanes, shop O2, building seats in a shop, CMs etc deicing, pushbacks, I don’t think require AMTs.

Taxing a/c, repairing seats on the aircraft on through and overnight, replacing O2 bottle, any work done ON the airplane require A&Ps to do that work.

I think the mechs in Tulsa should be doing the phase checks rather then doing shop work. They have all the tools, experience, parts all right there. We all know at line stations you spend half your time hunting down tools or equipment to do the cards.

I’m all for being the highest paid AMTs in the industry, I don’t think it’s helpful to that bottom line if we have mechs doing non mech work and we maintain a bloated workforce who is Endangered of lay-off every-time there’s a economic downturn. We are not supporting early retirement so an old timer can sit in a shop for 8 hours hiding from his wife.

I prefer the SWA airline way. Doing mech work at the highest pay, and not being laid off so someone can hide in a shop or wingwalk a/c at the hangar.

How many times have we taken less to save jobs only to see our numbers cut in half and MCI AFW TAESL MSP CLE IDA all close.

Hopefully 86 mech will remember what my opinion is.

Example: would you pay a $70 an hour electrician to change a light bulb, or a heat and air conditioner tech $85 an hour to change an air filter

This is not the 80s or 90s with every airline doing their own everything.

President Dale Danker’s “Dear Tulsa Citizens” April 17th Letter in the Tulsa World

Dear Tulsa Citizens

The Transport Workers Union of America Local 514 (Tulsa workers) in conjunction with the TWU/IAM Association (representing 30k workers nationwide) have been in contract negotiations with American Airlines since Dec 3rd, 2015. It has become clear that what was once thought of as a good idea to merge American Airlines with US Airways has now become an unwelcome reality.

American Airlines has been doing much of its own maintenance in Tulsa dating back to 1946. For decades American has been one of Oklahoma’s largest employers. That trend started shifting after 911 and continues to this day. American, United, Delta and Southwest Airlines started outsourcing USA jobs to low cost foreign maintenance facilities all the while growing the CEO’s salary for participating in this unsafe practice. In our current contract negotiations, American has made clear their intent is to offshore even more JOBS through attrition. American says they will promise current workers a job till they retire but will not replace them so that our sons and daughters can look forward to a career in aviation here in Tulsa. The union workers have made great scarifies to keep American Airlines jobs in Tulsa and to keep the safety of its aircraft second to none. Aircraft worked on inside the USA is inherently safer with far greater FAA oversight. If you get on a major airline to fly for business or pleasure that aircraft has been worked on by mechanics in places like El Salvador, Brazil and China. Unfortunately, these days it is not uncommon to turn the news on and hear of a fatality Airline crash. Safety should always be THE Number #1 Priority.

For historical purposes, American’s Tulsa Base had approximately 7300 workers back in 2003. As the outsourcing continues to grow, the Tulsa Base has reduced its workers down to approximately 4200. Will American Airlines stay in Tulsa after we retiree? Currently our average age is 58 years old. Most Union aviation contracts are for 5 years. Will they stay in Tulsa or leave?

Safe Airline travel should be every citizens Number 1 priority when they or a loved one flies.

Parking airplanes, shop O2, building seats in a shop, CMs etc deicing, pushbacks, I don’t think require AMTs.

Taxing a/c, repairing seats on the aircraft on through and overnight, replacing O2 bottle, any work done ON the airplane require A&Ps to do that work.

I think the mechs in Tulsa should be doing the phase checks rather then doing shop work. They have all the tools, experience, parts all right there. We all know at line stations you spend half your time hunting down tools or equipment to do the cards.

I’m all for being the highest paid AMTs in the industry, I don’t think it’s helpful to that bottom line if we have mechs doing non mech work and we maintain a bloated workforce who is Endangered of lay-off every-time there’s a economic downturn. We are not supporting early retirement so an old timer can sit in a shop for 8 hours hiding from his wife.

I prefer the SWA airline way. Doing mech work at the highest pay, and not being laid off so someone can hide in a shop or wingwalk a/c at the hangar.

How many times have we taken less to save jobs only to see our numbers cut in half and MCI AFW TAESL MSP CLE IDA all close.

Example: would you pay a $70 an hour electrician to change a light bulb, or a heat and air conditioner tech $85 an hour to change an air filter

IAH is reopening

IAH is reopening

Did you notice how the announcement said to do overnight maintenance, not to park airplanes, repair CMs, clean aircraft windows. I believe AA doesn’t mind paying top dollar for aircraft mechanics, they just want us to do aircraft maintenance. Like the the FSCs. Getting top dollar just not stuffing pillows any longer.

So you think fleet should be in maintenance hangars parking, and you think unlicensed guy should be signing off aviators oxygen..

Did you notice how the announcement said to do overnight maintenance, not to park airplanes, repair CMs, clean aircraft windows. I believe AA doesn’t mind paying top dollar for aircraft mechanics, they just want us to do aircraft maintenance. Like the the FSCs. Getting top dollar just not stuffing pillows any longer.

If you remember that was Frank Lorenzo's beef at Eastern he said his beef wasn't paying the mechanics a higher wage it was all the "related" BS that comes with being lumped with everyone in an industrial union.

So you think fleet should be in maintenance hangars parking, and you think unlicensed guy should be signing off aviators oxygen..

If you want top pay.
I think it’s a waste of resources for mechanics to be parking airplanes at the American Airlines hangars, we should be working the planes through the day if time allows and of course at night.

Can a non licensed mech sign off anything.......that was a rhetorical

Last edited:
If you remember that was Frank Lorenzo's beef at Eastern he said his beef wasn't paying the mechanics a higher wage it was all the "related" BS that comes with being lumped with everyone in an industrial union.

AMFA wouldn’t negotiate with NWA, NWA moves on without them. Now the mechs that replaced AMFA are doing very well with delta. (Doing mech work )

IAM at eastern turned down a contract that was better then what TWU had at AA. The eastern pilots and FAs supported IAM, Lorenzo drained eastern for every bit money he could and shut it down. Lorenzo’s Texas air international parent company took all the airlines underneath that umbrella and made continental which was a good airline then merged with United.

Eastern mechs pilots and FAs lost everything and started from the bottom at other airlines.

Having Mechanics do less qualified task devalues your profession and A&P license. How can anyone not see that? Do Dr's complain about nurses giving shots or doing sutures? Not to mention it ultimately puts jobs at risk.

Having Mechanics do less qualified task devalues your profession and A&P license. How can anyone not see that? Do Dr's complain about nurses giving shots or doing sutures? Not to mention it ultimately puts jobs at risk.
We are not doctors. We are freaking mechanics. Oil and airplane grease and grime.

If you want top pay.
I think it’s a waste of resources for mechanics to be parking airplanes at the American Airlines hangars, we should be working the planes through the day if time allows and of course at night.

Can a non licensed mech sign off anything.......that was a rhetorical

I'm thinking if you were the one doing the moves and the parks, maybe you wouldn't have this opinion. You are talking about a lot of jobs there around the system. You get rid of it and all those guys will go back to work crews and knock you farther and farther from a day shift weekend off job. Prime day and afternoon slots with good days off that a lot of senior folks have and you want to give that away while the company makes billions and billions? Some thing they could get in BK you want to give away during good times. I'm also thinking maybe you don't have enough time to get on a move crew, that's why you have a hard on for them. After all you are always complaining about senior guys, you may want to cut that out, one day you'll be one.

I'm pretty sure Charles Taylor moved the flyer around, he didn't have to hire fleet guys to do it.

And O2 bottles,,, check your FARs.

We are not doctors. We are freaking mechanics. Oil and airplane grease and grime.

I'm thinking if you were the one doing the moves and the parks, maybe you wouldn't have this opinion. You are talking about a lot of jobs there around the system. You get rid of it and all those guys will go back to work crews and knock you farther and farther from a day shift weekend off job. Prime day and afternoon slots with good days off that a lot of senior folks have and you want to give that away while the company makes billions and billions? Some thing they could get in BK you want to give away during good times. I'm also thinking maybe you don't have enough time to get on a move crew, that's why you have a hard on for them. After all you are always complaining about senior guys, you may want to cut that out, one day you'll be one.

I'm pretty sure Charles Taylor moved the flyer around, he didn't have to hire fleet guys to do it.

And O2 bottles,,, check your FARs.

AA is a different company now. What happened in the past no longer matters. AA is going to move LUS mechs to our insurance even though they kept that through BK.

You must be one of those libtards from Texas or OK who thinks AA owes you something other then a pay check. AA is a company who wants value for their money. That’s why the old AA moved from NY to Dallas and opened a maintenance base in Tulsa. You have been in an industrial union far too long. Of course I want good days off and good shifts but at the expense of my earnings potential. I knew the kinds of working conditions I was getting into. Who knows if the senior guys couldn’t hide on the move crews and were forced to work again, maybe they would retire.

I’m guessing you don’t empty the trash cans or do you just want the easy work at the maintenance hangar?

Here’s a question, is it strike worthy to keep move crews and health ins for LUS guys?

I did not know non A&Ps can sign logbook. Don’t worry I know the real answer.

AA is a different company now. What happened in the past no longer matters. AA is going to move LUS mechs to our insurance even though they kept that through BK.

You must be one of those libtards from Texas or OK who thinks AA owes you something other then a pay check. AA is a company who wants value for their money. That’s why the old AA moved from NY to Dallas and opened a maintenance base in Tulsa. You have been in an industrial union far too long. Of course I want good days off and good shifts but at the expense of my earnings potential. I knew the kinds of working conditions I was getting into. Who knows if the senior guys couldn’t hide on the move crews and were forced to work again, maybe they would retire.

I’m guessing you don’t empty the trash cans or do you just want the easy work at the maintenance hangar?

Here’s a question, is it strike worthy to keep move crews and health ins for LUS guys?

I did not know non A&Ps can sign logbook. Don’t worry I know the real answer.

Calling people names does not help you win your argument.

It only makes you look frustrated and weak.

Otherwise I “was” enjoying your debate up until your last post.

BTW how many years do you have with the Airline?