Aircraft maint issues

Forget about the t shirt day crap. Everytime we get a new contract we give work rules and benefits away. I am in no rush for a JCBA. All you guys who think we are going to get back everything or almost everything we gave on 2003 are dreaming. They will throw some $$$ our way and some holidays and take away more work rules. Guys are blind. They only see the money. No thanks. Nothing should be given up for restoration of our 2003 raping. If we had a union with balls we would have been better better off years ago.

AA already threw the money our way. Our LUS brothers already get holidays, sick time, CS policy in the contract.

What work rules do we have to lose, exactly!

What work rules do you see AA taking away from LUS mechs?

Are you saying you will vote NO for anything less then restore and more? Meaning doing 100% of OH, return of retiree medical, reinstating our pension?

This kind of expectation has already cost us over $50k in cash alone not to mention sick time accrual, vacation time along with personal days.

Like it or not O/H and line are different. There is no line operation where there is only one shift. There are several O/H operations that only run a day shift and nothing else. So these guys have no options at all. Sound fair? Of course it doesn't. As an O/H guy I do not and will not dictate what happens on the line. If you guys like it then great. But why can't there be a different policy for O/H. I think there could have been some kind of policy for O/H that would have taken into account those who work in a one shift operation. One policy for line and one for O/H would just make sense.

How dare you suggest different agreements for line and OH.

Thanks to Gary and the negotiators for taking their time and getting it right.

His comments in text.

February 23, 2017

To the Membership,

Another week of negotiations has drawn to an end, with little progress made. I say that not to rub salt in the wound, but to call attention to my concern as the President of your Local. CEO Doug Parker has said for over a year to “take a leap of faith,” yet in over one year of negotiations, American’s proposals continue to be written for us to only achieve the third worst contract of the Big 3 in the industry - (Delta, United, & American). As I talk with members, I am often asked why are negotiations taking so long? Simply put, because the ask by American in their proposals is never the “industry’s best” and more times than not their proposal is written in concessionary terms, rather than a collaborative offer giving members the industries best contract. I have negotiated enough agreements to know when the process is competitive and when the process is collaborative, and I will say it again - these negotiations remain unequivocally competitive based on American’s proposals. Not only are the company’s proposals often laden with the industries most concessionary terms and conditions, but they also they fly in the face of what our Executive Leadership Team says that the company’s “employee relations” should reflect.

So let’s cut to the chase, my sole obligation in negotiations is to bring back a JCBA that is the “best in the industry,” for our members, which is what CEO Parker has promised multiple times in person and in his town hall videos. On the shop floor I hear that management often tells our members “that it’s the union slowing down the negotiatiations.” If our objective were to simply deliver the third best contract in the industry, then that statement would be accurate. However, since we have no interest in further concessions or bringing back to the membership a substandard JCBA, we are forced into making multiple proposals that often are ending at an “industry leading” impasse and are put on the shelf for later consideration. All you have to do is look at the disparity in what employees are receiving in “profit sharing” versus the so-called “at risk compensation” management is stuffing into their pockets, and you should quickly realize that management thinks the membership isn’t paying attention to detail and is once again willing to be gassed up and taken for a ride.

So where do we go from here? It is time to rise up, further unify, and prepare for what may be the fight of our lives. That said; let me give you a little solace in why I am coming out so strong in this letter. This past week I found out that CEO Parker’s hired negotiator, Jerry Glass, was able to negotiate a tentative agreement in about a month between multiple elevator companies and the International Union of Elevator Constructors (IUEC). I was surprised when I was told that a tentative agreement was reached so quickly, so I made a call and found out that the elevator companies came to the table with a comprehensive proposal that contained a highly “collaborative offer.” So why can’t Jerry get American to do the same? Could it be that American’s true agenda isn’t to negotiate the airline industries best contract; but rather, to string the employees along like pre-bankruptcy American, post bankruptcy United and how Southwest has recently done with both TWU and AMFA? If American’s leadership team is serious about negotiating the “Best Contract in the Industry,” then it is time for us to demand they change course and bring some fresh faces to the bargaining table that can get this deal done; in a few weeks when the International Leadership joins our negotiating sessions. Since none of us can predict the future, the Local must move forward with the next phase of our contingency plan. Many members of Local 591 have already committed to participate in our campaign on American, if called upon to do so. However, since Local 591 is so large, some members may still not be aware that we have developed an organizational readiness plan, if we are forced to fight for the best contract in the industry. If you have not already committed, I am requesting you send an email to info@local591, letting us know that you are ready and willing to participate in our effort to achieve the “Best Contract in the Airline Industry,” should CEO Parker and this executive team fail to deliver on what they have all promised to us.

Gary Peterson

President

Article about unsafe airline maintenance practices at foreign MRO's.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/11/airplane-maintenance-disturbing-truth

Its a great article from December of 2015 and thanks for posting. It's my opinion the public is unaware of the facts the article illuminates and the public does not care anyway, they just want a cheap seat with a little legroom and a bag of pretzels.

The airlines don't care, they just want to find the cheapest way out to maximize profits and bonuses.

The government and regulatory agencies doesn't care, they have done nothing for 25 years as this situation has grown out of their control. Our president doesn't care, he talked with most of the major airline CEOs recently, the only concern was government support of mid east based airlines.

The representatives of airline maintenance workers doesn't care. They and the afl-cio has done nothing to protect these jobs, all they have done is sat in their wood paneled offices, high up with a great views of the city and provide lip service for 25 years to unionized airline maintenance workers.

One day in the not to distant future a once thriving and skilled industry such as aircraft maintenance overhaul with be completely consolidated offshore and have taken with it 10s of thousands of high paying skilled jobs. The expertise associated with overhauling large commercial jetliners will be gone from our shores thus contributing to the general "dumbing down" of the population. We'll be happy with our twitter and Facebook accounts though..... But, no one will know how to overhaul an airplane or engine.

FLYNFISH, Yes we all are getting slower and older, hence the advantage of day trades. You don't have to trade shifts if you don't want to. If you just want the day off and do not wanna repay the other guy just list it as a give-away. This means I would ask you to work for me but we both understand that I will not work for you. Extra money for you (8-10 hours) and I get more time off.

Giving days away without repaying is a great idea. It tells the company you don't really need the money money..

That's a bit of a stretch, Metal. Back in the day, some would consider that a scare tactic...lol
Nah,,,just saying.....I know a few guys who like to complain about money. Never enough for them, but they give a few days a month away.... Go figure

You get use to the hours. Power naps at breaks and lunch. And must prepare prior to work week starting.

FLYNFISH, Yes we all are getting slower and older, hence the advantage of day trades. You don't have to trade shifts if you don't want to. If you just want the day off and do not wanna repay the other guy just list it as a give-away. This means I would ask you to work for me but we both understand that I will not work for you. Extra money for you (8-10 hours) and I get more time off.

Most people are up longer than 16 hours anyway it's just not as recognizable as when you are at work for 16 straight, so it does take a little mental preparedness as well.

2ndGENAMT, I too use to say the same thing that I will only work a double or triple for the overtime pay. But I don't want to do that any more, getting older and slower. Now days I enjoy more time off instead of how much O/T can I work this year, a MAJOR stress relieve.

Real Tired, Your right most all (98%) will say they cannot live without the trades. Most have reconfigured their work lives around day trades to improve their home off times. From your post I must ask, can you guys trade with mechanics in other departments? In other words a structures overhaul mechanic could work for a shop, line, hangr ron, line ron, c-check mechanics and vise-versa? This way the guys with only one shift, 8 hours can still enjoy the day trading policy.

That sounds a lot like the way we do it.

Many people like the "give-away" as you call it. But we call it a one way swap.

To answer your question, no, we can't cross shop swap. And it does take some getting used to like you said. I've found it's way easier to work your swap as your next shift, rather than go home, try to sleep, get up and come back in to work a swap. That's why the commuters usually work a double, double, single, then go home.

Mr Jerry Glass is the MAN. The Association JCBA contract negotiating updates need only acknowledge the presence or absence of Mr Glass. How many sessions has he attended?