American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

What I dont understand is why the company wouldn't put out a buy out option that would give say a 62 year old a medical bridge to 65 and yet would pay medical benefits to people on the payroll who aren't needed for the sake of not laying off.Sounds like something a union would like,doesnt it?

ALUS78

Can you expand on your question a bit, assuming you are 62. Are you ready $$$$ wise.? If they gave you free medical you would go, NO $$$$?

Or do you want the $$$ and pay the same medical cost you have Now for the next 3 yrs.?

Or do you want Just a Lump sum of $$$$ and you will worry about the medical.

AA did away with the prefunding we once had which would of been that bridge if you wanted to retire early, so what would make you think they would bring it back?

Who is to say what people are not needed and at what age? LUS/USAir did that to it's mgmt team yrs ago. What if they said you are not needed?

This ASSociation we have here at AA does not care about YOU or anyone else. It is all about head count and dues intake. The people who take the packeage will have to be ready, it is just NOT a $$$$ thing. alot goes into walking away from the job.

Something they could very easily make happen and would get a bunch of more takers. When medical coverage is, usually, the most important item when retiring then change the offer to reflect so to get the more numbers you need.

SWAMT

There are many of the M&R group at LUS that are 65 or over, having medicare is their medical, getting the $$$ to entice them to go so that they would get back something for all the yrs USAir piped them will be the question. Just how much is the question each person will have to decide. If 50% of the LUS M&R workgroup took a package and 1500 from LAA M&R group which I think could happen very easily. This would give AA the numbers they want and keep the younger
workforce on the job. Thus No need to layoff. The ASSociation will not like it but it would work. Then when it became needed AA could hire instead of having a recall. The new M&R workers would then pay dues and would for AA be at bottom of pay scale with little vacation, for 9 yrs. BE A WIN/WIN.

Older guys gone, more new hires (when needed), payroll less for long term financial projections. Better days and shifts, less bumping and cost to layoff,

Last edited:
I wonder if AA is regretting eliminating the prefunding?
With the prefunding in place many wouldn't have to worry about affordability of medical before 65.
Many would have retired early knowing medical isn't an issue. AA would have gotten closer to the numbers they wanted. Kept the junior guys who have several years left to offer this company.

Just a thought. Did the union want the prefunding gone in order to keep guys working longer so the dues keep rolling in? New guys make less so pay less.

With the prefunding in place many wouldn't have to worry about affordability of medical before 65.
Many would have retired early knowing medical isn't an issue. AA would have gotten closer to the numbers they wanted. Kept the junior guys who have several years left to offer this company.

Just a thought. Did the union want the prefunding gone in order to keep guys working longer so the dues keep rolling in? New guys make less so pay less.

1AA

I am not sure that the TWU wanted the prefunding gone but you know how they work they trade our benefits to keep the union dues rolling in.
2022 is when the pre-funding ends for those who have it and if I am correct any money that remains in that fund is supposed to be distributed to the employees.

Let me wager a guess here......You're 62?
I picked 62 to show the irony but if must know I'm 61, hired when I was 18 and have no intention of retiring till 68 ( God willing) ,lucrative buyout package or not.Sure I bid an easier job ( who wouln't ?) but I like to think I carry my weight

ALUS78

Can you expand on your question a bit, assuming you are 62. Are you ready $$$$ wise.? If they gave you free medical you would go, NO $$$$?

Or do you want the $$$ and pay the same medical cost you have Now for the next 3 yrs.?

Or do you want Just a Lump sum of $$$$ and you will worry about the medical.

AA did away with the prefunding we once had which would of been that bridge if you wanted to retire early, so what would make you think they would bring it back?

Who is to say what people are not needed and at what age? LUS/USAir did that to it's mgmt team yrs ago. What if they said you are not needed?

This ASSociation we have here at AA does not care about YOU or anyone else. It is all about head count and dues intake. The people who take the packeage will have to be ready, it is just NOT a $$$$ thing. alot goes into walking away from the job.
When I say not needed I meant exactly what you are saying.The union would rather all of us to take a pay cut for dues payment then laying off people when there is no work.In my case thousands of less flights in your case hundreds of less planes.

When I say not needed I meant exactly what you are saying.The union would rather all of us to take a pay cut for dues payment then laying off people when there is no work.In my case thousands of less flights in your case hundreds of less planes.
as far as im concerned, no concessions. this management team is no better and no worse then the last or the next one. they take, take and take and forget to give back. no the old days of sacrificing or "sharing the pain share the gain" never happened never will.

SWAMT

There are many of the M&R group at LUS that are 65 or over, having medicare is their medical, getting the $$$ to entice them to go so that they would get back something for all the yrs USAir piped them will be the question. Just how much is the question each person will have to decide. If 50% of the LUS M&R workgroup took a package and 1500 from LAA M&R group which I think could happen very easily. This would give AA the numbers they want and keep the younger
workforce on the job. Thus No need to layoff. The ASSociation will not like it but it would work. Then when it became needed AA could hire instead of having a recall. The new M&R workers would then pay dues and would for AA be at bottom of pay scale with little vacation, for 9 yrs. BE A WIN/WIN.

Older guys gone, more new hires (when needed), payroll less for long term financial projections. Better days and shifts, less bumping and cost to layoff,
I could see the 1500 from LAA, hard to imagine 50% of LUS. Matter fact that would shock me if 50% of LUS took the Early Out packages.

I could see the 1500 from LAA, hard to imagine 50% of LUS. Matter fact that would shock me if 50% of LUS took the Early Out packages.

SWAMT

Not being from AA or USAir the age of the LUS guys is much older than the LAA guys if a significant package came out those guys who are between the ages of 64-70+ yrs of age would be crazy not to take the $$$$. They have or will have medical and in NO Way could they save the amount of $$$ offered. They will have the yrs required to keep the flying benefits. Would not make any sense to remain. LUS has only if not less than your SWA number of A&P mechanics.

SWAMT

Not being from AA or USAir the age of the LUS guys is much older than the LAA guys if a significant package came out those guys who are between the ages of 64-70+ yrs of age would be crazy not to take the $$$$. They have or will have medical and in NO Way could they save the amount of $$$ offered. They will have the yrs required to keep the flying benefits. Would not make any sense to remain. LUS has only if not less than your SWA number of A&P mechanics.
im hoping they come out with something that i can make work. and im 57

im hoping they come out with something that i can make work. and im 57

dfwgen

As you say it would be nice but IMHO and your age I don't you will fall into the requirements that may be set to go. But what ever does come I hope that guys take advantage of it, thus reducing the need for any layoffs or cuts.

Doubt it. You need to think about what AA got from those employees who were locked in prior to this -- they kept older employees who were highly skilled and trained, and there's a halo effect of those guys being around to mentor the younger kids.

Don't kid yourself about AA wanting voluntary layoffs in union positions other than pilots, where there's a huge ripple effect effect of training. I don't think it matters if they pay severance to a junior guy or a senior guy. It all nets out to about the same.

AMR eliminated retiree medical company-wide, and the TWU likely wasn't smart enough to do math on older guys working = more dues income... So I'd say no.

dfwgen

As you say it would be nice but IMHO and your age I don't you will fall into the requirements that may be set to go. But what ever does come I hope that guys take advantage of it, thus reducing the need for any layoffs or cuts.
would i like to hang on a few more years? i just dont know. the wife and i tested positive for covid 19 had VERY mild symptoms, almost thought it was just allergies. have been off for 4 weeks supposed to go back tomorrow. the wife keeps asking me if i miss work? no not really. would love to just retire sell the house put everything in storage jump in the rv and just go. when i was in DFW there was a supervisor that retired in the 90's he worked at Costco, every time i saw him he said the same thing. "Dave get out when you can, there is life after AA" i have met some really good people over the last 30 years and unfortunately i lot of not so good people. AA seems to attract especially in maintenance lot of self centered pricks, maybe its the midnight shift or the work i dont know just kind of seems that way. would i miss AA no not really, some people sure but AA no.

Back