AMFA Organizing Drive to Replace Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
To ALL of the M&R employees of AA, the new and improved www.amfa-aa.com web site is up and running.

Hope you don't mind me sharing this with ya all since it was brought up in this thread several times by the AMFA haters crowd.

All suits, claims, and counterclaims have been tentatively settled and awaits for "membership approval".
This is pretty much as expected once the new guy came in and recruited one of the highest respected (also started out as an A&P just like Kinder) directors to clean up the mess between AMFA and SWA. Hopefully with Kinder at the helm of labor we will not experience such a long and dragged out nego's and game playing children trying to pull their stunts at the table. Very glad to see both SWA and AMFA put this behind them and move on forward.

AIM,
I think maybe some of your fellow AMT's were watching out for the outcome of these suits. Some were posting that AMFA will go broke and have to file for non-representation blah, blah, blah...

mail

August 18, 2020

This is a joint statement by the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) and Southwest Airlines Co. (Southwest) on August 18, 2020.

On August 7, 2020, AMFA and Southwest reached a tentative settlement agreement of all parties’ claims and counterclaims in the federal litigation known as Consolidated Case No. 3:17-cv-00431-N, involving principally Southwest and AMFA.

The settlement agreement will become final upon ratification by the members of AMFA.

AMFA and Southwest have agreed that – if the agreement is ratified – the parties will implement a new alternative dispute resolution process to avoid and mitigate future claims of workplace disruption by either party by encouraging cooperation, communication, and quick adjudication. At the same time, no party admits to any wrongdoing by way of the settlement, no party shall be obligated to pay any other party, and no party shall be subject to ongoing court supervision or injunctive relief.

AMFA is satisfied this settlement agreement is in its members’ best interest. AMFA will send internal communication to its Southwest members to outline next steps.

Southwest believes that the terms of this agreement not only resolve this dispute and ensure labor peace going forward, but also provides a strong foundation for renewed cooperation between Southwest and AMFA.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. IT WILL NOT BE READ.

READ THE LATEST UPDATES ON AMFA11.COM

mail

Also wanna share the National Officers election results. It was a close race for the Assistant National Directors position but Gene held on as I was hoping for you guys to continue your communications and help with the drive for AMFA. So no changes at National Officers positions.
I must add that I am a bit embarrassed by the low, LOW, turn out for these very important positions. And people would have wondered if all were voted out, "Gee, how the heck did that happen"?
I will say when you all become AMFA you guys will in fact control the National positions and I am perfectly fine with that. We just need to get a Rep. for each airline presented at the National level and table to speak for his airline issues and voting power as well.

http://amfanational.org/index.cfm?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&homeID=832483

AMFA NATIONAL OFFICER ELECTION RESULTS
Updated On: Aug 10, 2020
lg-share-en.gif

August 10, 2020

The votes for the AMFA National Officer Election were tallied on August 10, 2020. Votes for this election were counted and certified by ElectionBuddy, and the results are as follows:

Eligible Voters
Ballots Cast

(26.17%)

Assistant National Director
Pat Amore (Local 18)
Louie Key (Local 14)
Cameron Lampley (Local 18)
Gene Painter (Local 11)

National Secretary/Treasurer
Jay Johnson (Local 11)
Rui Leonardo (Local 32)

Region II Director
Wilber “Will” Abbott (Local 11)
Rob Cush (Local 11)

The following candidates were unopposed and, therefore, their names did not appear on the ballot:

National Director Bret Oestreich (Local 11)
Safety & Standards Director Scott King (Local 11)
Region I Director Earl Clark (Local 32)

Bret Oestreich
National Director

Reactions: Rogallo
Also wanna share the National Officers election results. It was a close race for the Assistant National Directors position but Gene held on as I was hoping for you guys to continue your communications and help with the drive for AMFA. So no changes at National Officers positions.
I must add that I am a bit embarrassed by the low, LOW, turn out for these very important positions. And people would have wondered if all were voted out, "Gee, how the heck did that happen"?
I will say when you all become AMFA you guys will in fact control the National positions and I am perfectly fine with that. We just need to get a Rep. for each airline presented at the National level and table to speak for his airline issues and voting power as well.

http://amfanational.org/index.cfm?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&homeID=832483

lg-share-en.gif

August 10, 2020

The votes for the AMFA National Officer Election were tallied on August 10, 2020. Votes for this election were counted and certified by ElectionBuddy, and the results are as follows:

Eligible Voters
Ballots Cast

(26.17%)

Pat Amore (Local 18)
Louie Key (Local 14)
Gene Painter (Local 11)

Jay Johnson (Local 11)
Rui Leonardo (Local 32)

Region II Director
Rob Cush (Local 11)

The following candidates were unopposed and, therefore, their names did not appear on the ballot:

Bret Oestreich
National Director
WOW, what a concept. AMFA allows the membership to vote for their top officers instead of appointing them at a love sex convention in Las Vegas. I am surprised at the low turn out but that is common place in America regardless of which type of elections are taking place.

Reactions: Paul Too
WOW, what a concept. AMFA allows the membership to vote for their top officers instead of appointing them at a love sex convention in Las Vegas. I am surprised at the low turn out but that is common place in America regardless of which type of elections are taking place.

1AA, The concept of the membership voting on what is/will happen at AMFA has been there ALL Along, It has been told to the AA M&R mechanics time and time again.

The APATHY that M&R workers in the industry have, goes back a long way. Many feel No matter what they want the union & company are out for just themselves. In most cases this is TRUE, specially with the Three Industrial Unions in aviation TWU/IAM/IBT for them its all about the dues. I would guess over at SWA it's due to how they look at AMFA as a mom/pop union with little to No backing which was evident during the NWA strike when the Industrial Unions crossed the picket line. The Pilots and FA Unions did as well.

Union meeting are not high on most mechanics list of things to do most rely on the few who read what is talked about or go to the meetings themselves.

At every station there are those guys that most gravitate toward for information. Others just don't really care since it doesn't affect their pocket book.

Here at AA in my time the only time I seen the members get upset was when AA was going to play with the CS's. AA took pension, vacation, sick time, and more.

Talking with guys from SWA many there don't go to meetings or participate and they have the power to remove even the TOP Officers if they do NOT look out for the memberships best interests. That is what is Baffling to ME. I just wish the AA guys would read the AMFA Constitution and see just what power we could have.

O.V. Del Femme had a vision that all A&P mechanics & Related would get together as one Union and become a voice in the Airline industry.

lg-share-en.gif

August 10, 2020

Eligible Voters
Ballots Cast

(26.17%)

Pat Amore (Local 18)
Louie Key (Local 14)
Gene Painter (Local 11)

Jay Johnson (Local 11)
Rui Leonardo (Local 32)

Region II Director
Rob Cush (Local 11)

Bret Oestreich
National Director

SWAMT Thanks for the voting results Its good to see the Top guys remained in Place NOW I hope they will focus on getting AA and Spirit into the fold.

1AA, The concept of the membership voting on what is/will happen at AMFA has been there ALL Along, It has been told to the AA M&R mechanics time and time again.

The APATHY that M&R workers in the industry have, goes back a long way. Many feel No matter what they want the union & company are out for just themselves. In most cases this is TRUE, specially with the Three Industrial Unions in aviation TWU/IAM/IBT for them its all about the dues. I would guess over at SWA it's due to how they look at AMFA as a mom/pop union with little to No backing which was evident during the NWA strike when the Industrial Unions crossed the picket line. The Pilots and FA Unions did as well.

Union meeting are not high on most mechanics list of things to do most rely on the few who read what is talked about or go to the meetings themselves.

At every station there are those guys that most gravitate toward for information. Others just don't really care since it doesn't affect their pocket book.

Here at AA in my time the only time I seen the members get upset was when AA was going to play with the CS's. AA took pension, vacation, sick time, and more.

Talking with guys from SWA many there don't go to meetings or participate and they have the power to remove even the TOP Officers if they do NOT look out for the memberships best interests. That is what is Baffling to ME. I just wish the AA guys would read the AMFA Constitution and see just what power we could have.

O.V. Del Femme had a vision that all A&P mechanics & Related would get together as one Union and become a voice in the Airline industry.
I was talking to a co-worker from the LUS side....My first opportunity to do so with the new bid and the work force integration at ORD. He had 20 years as a mechanic at Northwest until he was walked out....never crossed the picket line. He has nothing good to say about AMFA, he feels they gave away the farm when AMFA got them the "great contract" in 2001 and would never, ever recommend AMFA over the Association. I wish I knew more of the details of that time period at NWA. I know that Wroble was in charge of maintenance and Delta didn't want any unionized labor when they bought out NWA. I also know that the mechanics, had they voted, would have seen over 50% of that workforce gone.

Hope you don't mind me sharing this with ya all since it was brought up in this thread several times by the AMFA haters crowd.

All suits, claims, and counterclaims have been tentatively settled and awaits for "membership approval".
This is pretty much as expected once the new guy came in and recruited one of the highest respected (also started out as an A&P just like Kinder) directors to clean up the mess between AMFA and SWA. Hopefully with Kinder at the helm of labor we will not experience such a long and dragged out nego's and game playing children trying to pull their stunts at the table. Very glad to see both SWA and AMFA put this behind them and move on forward.

AIM,
I think maybe some of your fellow AMT's were watching out for the outcome of these suits. Some were posting that AMFA will go broke and have to file for non-representation blah, blah, blah...

mail

August 18, 2020

This is a joint statement by the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) and Southwest Airlines Co. (Southwest) on August 18, 2020.

On August 7, 2020, AMFA and Southwest reached a tentative settlement agreement of all parties’ claims and counterclaims in the federal litigation known as Consolidated Case No. 3:17-cv-00431-N, involving principally Southwest and AMFA.

The settlement agreement will become final upon ratification by the members of AMFA.

AMFA and Southwest have agreed that – if the agreement is ratified – the parties will implement a new alternative dispute resolution process to avoid and mitigate future claims of workplace disruption by either party by encouraging cooperation, communication, and quick adjudication. At the same time, no party admits to any wrongdoing by way of the settlement, no party shall be obligated to pay any other party, and no party shall be subject to ongoing court supervision or injunctive relief.

AMFA is satisfied this settlement agreement is in its members’ best interest. AMFA will send internal communication to its Southwest members to outline next steps.

Southwest believes that the terms of this agreement not only resolve this dispute and ensure labor peace going forward, but also provides a strong foundation for renewed cooperation between Southwest and AMFA.

mail
Some people just love their commie UNION and don't know what a real UNION is. They have been so indoctrinated they think UNIONs and leftist politics are one in the same.

Vote DEMOCRAT!!!!!!! blah blah blah...........

Reactions: swamt
I was talking to a co-worker from the LUS side....My first opportunity to do so with the new bid and the work force integration at ORD. He had 20 years as a mechanic at Northwest until he was walked out....never crossed the picket line. He has nothing good to say about AMFA, he feels they gave away the farm when AMFA got them the "great contract" in 2001 and would never, ever recommend AMFA over the Association. I wish I knew more of the details of that time period at NWA. I know that Wroble was in charge of maintenance and Delta didn't want any unionized labor when they bought out NWA. I also know that the mechanics, had they voted, would have seen over 50% of that workforce gone.
So which one do YOU actually think SUCKS the least?

AIM,

mail

August 18, 2020

mail
Also please note where in the update from AMFA about the new agreement to settle the suits it states that the membership will vote rather to approve or not. Another HUGE difference from when we were the teamsters and as well as the other industrial unions. This NOT something we are "forced" to accept, we the membership will vote rather to accept the agreements made and nego by SWA and AMFA. I am extremely confident that the membership will accept or approve the agreements, but, at least with AMFA it's the membership that makes the final decisions not AMFA National, AMFA Locals, AMFA Presidents, VP's, ALR's etc... It's the MEMBERSHIP that will decide for what will solely affect the MEMBERSHIP as a whole.
Yes 1AA, what a concept, huh? I am just dumbfounded that the AA'ers are not jumping at the bit to get that concept within their mechanic and related ranks. So I wanted to share this news at this time to reflect on just how much "control" the membership has with AMFA about ALL the issues that affect us and NOT have some DA loud mouth shouting and screaming and threatening people just so he can be heard as well as that same DA making final decisions that affect the entire membership and not him at all.
Take control of your union AA'ers, and allow the membership to vote on any and all issues that affect the M&R Class and Craft Group. Some will be amazed at just how much control the membership has, but at least it is the membership that decides for themselves.
Peace Out guys--Good luck... AMFA@AA2020!!!

He lived it! I didn't want to press him but He's IAM so I do have to consider the source.....I'm all in on AMFA!
There's a book out about the NWA fiasco. I believe it's called Red Tail or something like that. You can also research yourself for online articles in the past. But by all means read about both sides to be fair in the researching.

Paul Too:

AMFA didn't just get the NWA guys a good contract, WE here at AA benefited from that as well. The guy you talked to was probably a IAM guy from his days when the IAM was the Bargaining unit. The Contract that was in place and the content of that contract remained in place after AMFA was voted in as the bargaining unit.

Just like our current contract has language in it which should of been replace with the ASSociation but yet it remains. The way things were done with the IAM are vastly different that the TWU. We all see that now that we have this abomination of a contract. Like you say you KNOW if they voted the contract in that MGMT wanted they would of lost 40% of the current workforce. So they TOOK A STRIKE VOTE and the members voted to STRIKE. NOT AMFA..

Before you come here and Bring up NWA and what happened as SWAMT recommended you should do your own research. Know what you are talking about before putting your 2 cents in on a subject you know nothing about.

Wrobles was there as you say so tell us HOW good of a job did he do here? Union buster. AMFA dissolved itself as the bargaining unit in order for the employees of NWA to get the money that they were due. And going thru a election would of caused a BIG delay in that process. "YES" Delta has forever wanted to keep unions out.

What many here at AA and other airlines who chirp in here don't realise is the members Had a choice, they made that choice knowing what was at stake.

The NWA airline mechanics have been a group that has fought against MGMT for over 50 yrs. NWA was out for one reason or another way back when there was mutual aid between the airlines. They were allowed to strike because they have a small domestic presents and would not affect US commerce.

The AA mechanics KNOW Nothing about standing up, the TWU folds like a deck of cards and always will. You should look at what we here at AA have given up in the last 30 yrs, before you talk trash. Bring up ALL of what we have lost with the TWU. You will see that M&R will be better off with the TWU/IAM Gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: cessna210g
There's a book out about the NWA fiasco. I believe it's called Red Tail or something like that. You can also research yourself for online articles in the past. But by all means read about both sides to be fair in the researching.

SWAMT you can even look up the video made by a guy who worked at NWA as well It is called the RED TAIL, Maybe Paul Too should watch that.

Status
Not open for further replies.