Another QIK bashing thread

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
OK, most front line former Sabre users probably agree that QIK is a pile of manure. On so many levels. (Just had my first day of irregular ops and what a pain rebooking and invol reissues are...Note to the people who came up with QIK: sometimes it takes three segments to get from one place to another. How about making it easier to issue an invol reroute with three segments)

But lets try to come up with some solutions and ways of dealing with the manure pile. Tips (not to be confused with TIPS) from those experienced with QIK are welcome.

My first question for everyone:
Is there something like N*LAND in QIK? (N*LAND in Sabre was an entry for on overview of system weather/ATC delays and the like.)

Calling qik a pile of manure is being kind. Although we had the yugo version of sabre . Our sabre was light years ahead of this dog. It is steps back in functionality.

How much is this changeover going to cost us in future business? I know that if I was a paying passenger looking at the corporate decisions coming out of Tempe I would book on someone else. They might be making money but they are driving our best passengers away and in the long run will hurt us. The amount of money we lose over this changeover could more than cover continuing sabre.

The amount of money we lose over this changeover could more than cover continuing sabre.
SABER is not gone the company kept it on the operation side so not to jeopardizes the future of one operating certificate

How much is this changeover going to cost us in future business?
If you read FlyerTalk, there's a thread about the crazy fares that appeared co-incident with the res changeover. Things like every flight between A & B for a month or more pricing at $1408 - double and triple what it was before the changeover.

Also reports of flights being shown as sold out for a whole month, months in advance.

Jim

Minor quibble, but I hate the way information is presented for FLIFOs.

Flifo totally sux arse!

If you read FlyerTalk, there's a thread about the crazy fares that appeared co-incident with the res changeover. Things like every flight between A & B for a month or more pricing at $1408 - double and triple what it was before the changeover.

Also reports of flights being shown as sold out for a whole month, months in advance.

Jim

When I flew to RDU from PIT on Sunday, the agents were having a problem with my PNR. While trying to make what ever adjustments they needed to make, it itenerary priced at $1688.00 PIT-RDU-PIT, same day.

Fortunately we did keep sabre decs. Otherwise there would be total system meltdown. If we had to go to HP manual wt/bal we would be totally screwed. And this changeover was a good thing? You can put lipstick on a pig it is still a pig and shares is a pig. The smartest thing the company could do would be to apologize to the agents and the public for their grevious error in changing to shares and reinstate sabre asap.

Fortunately we did keep sabre decs. Otherwise there would be total system meltdown. If we had to go to HP manual wt/bal we would be totally screwed. And this changeover was a good thing? You can put lipstick on a pig it is still a pig and shares is a pig. The smartest thing the company could do would be to apologize to the agents and the public for their grevious error in changing to shares and reinstate sabre asap.

KEEP SABRE, MY SABRE!!!!

It's not a crime for a company exec to admit a mistake and then take the necessary steps to correct it. It should be a crime when they know they have made such a mistake and won't acknowledge the mistake and won't correct it. Which path with Tempe choose. The right one and admit the mistake or not.

First off, by the tag line you can see I've been around a while and gone through several computer system changes. This was by far the worst and continues to be day after day. QIK/Shares may have been ok for a regional carrier (HP) but if Tempe wants to be a major player, this isn't the system. Tempe still doesn't realize the difference between West Coast and East Coast. Colodny/USAir didn't understand it 20 years ago and lost the West Coast. Should Tempe continue down the road their on, they will lose the East Coast. Simple things make a big difference. Accurate cascading, easy to read FLIFO with the upline flight. You don't realize how much you used that one little number until you lost it. Availablity, Shares is 20 years out of date. Rebook/reroute during irregular operations (which is now normal afternoon ops with PHL and LGA) is cumbersome and confusing. Same city pairs in SABRE, no problem, no action required. In Share, its an adjustment which is multple steps. Change routing, SABRE had 1 path, invol reissue. A couple of times thru the 3 screens and anyone could do it. With Share, it's which path do I follow and how many steps does it take. The list could go on and on and on. Shares may be cheaper in the rent payments but will ultimately cost more. Lost agent productive will mean eventually more agents or less passengers. Tempe has to realized that as long as US Airways has a large percentage of it's operations on the East Coast, rerouting will continue to grow as air traffic strangles on itself. Demand for air travel has already exceed the ability of the FAA to handle existing air traffic. As carrier put more flights into the Northeast, the delays will get worse and the need for having the best computer sytem becomes more and more important. Shares isn't it.

Jim
All of the low end stuff was locked out for the res migration. I have heard that it is back availiable for sale.

During my thirty years, using many systems including TW, AA, PS, US, NW, BA, I've never encountered a system such as this. I'm sure the underlying system would be ok to use. The problem is the damn "QIK" interface that stands in the way, between me and the system itself. I'm good, in fact real good at adapting and getting up to speed - even beyond speed. But no matter how "fast" I become, I'll be far slower than I ever was. This interface inhibits speed and enhances frustration.
The other day a few of us "east" agents asked about retrieving inbound/outbound connecting passenger lists with names, to/from flights and times, etc. This helps in anticipating misconnects and preparing for them. The "west" agents first response was, "what do you need that for?" They told us they don't prep for such things. When pressed about a list, we learned the list described isn't possible. Counts are, such as 1 connect to DFW, 3 to MIA but no names of passengers, no pnr's.
I guess a crappy system works fine if you don't require much from it.

Latest posts