Another sh**ty contract proposal from our illustrious leaders

No of course not, but the deductible doesn't apply to office visits with our plan. We have co-pays.

I know we do redhead, but if we allow the company to start frittering away our health benefits only God knows what we'll end up with over time.

?????? I've worked in major industry most of my life, and I am 65 years old. I have NEVER heard of a first $6000 out of pocket expense!!!!! (Which means there is a $6000 deductible.) Are you sure it's not a $6000 out of pocket limit before 100% coverage (stop-loss) kicks in?

If it's that. It's still pretty low. I think at AA we have $100,000 out of pocket expense before 100% coverage kicks in.

So what is your pay scale and what department do you work in?

A bunch of drama queens around here. It is a $450 deductible and $3000 individual maximum out of pocket and $6,000 for family. The medical insurance is quite good at US Airways compared to most other jobs.

So what exactly do you make an hour or monthly or even yearly and what department do you work in. I doubt very seriously that you are a flight attendant. In tempe they actually have food banks to help the flight attendants because they can not afford to eat. On the east the flight attendants on reserve can qualify for food stamps and the sad part is that is so even after 15 years. So before you decide to call anyone a drama queen you need to look in your own house of cards. :rolleyes:

So what exactly do you make an hour or monthly or even yearly and what department do you work in. I doubt very seriously that you are a flight attendant. In tempe they actually have food banks to help the flight attendants because they can not afford to eat. On the east the flight attendants on reserve can qualify for food stamps and the sad part is that is so even after 15 years. So before you decide to call anyone a drama queen you need to look in your own house of cards. :rolleyes:

Really? The $10-$36 for insurance every check is causing you to go hungry? Seriously?
No, I am not an FA. I would suck at it to be honest and I know that the pay is terrible. I am ACS. However, if a person stayed 15 years at a job at still had that much trouble making ends meet, then they need to look at the choices they've made and not blame the company or the union. I don't hear the outrage over the poor pay at McDonald's or Walmart.

Really? The $10-$36 for insurance every check is causing you to go hungry? Seriously?
No, I am not an FA. I would suck at it to be honest and I know that the pay is terrible. I am ACS. However, if a person stayed 15 years at a job at still had that much trouble making ends meet, then they need to look at the choices they've made and not blame the company or the union. I don't hear the outrage over the poor pay at McDonald's or Walmart.

What is ACS?

Really? Maybe you are only paying $10-$36 each pay check but as a flight attendant on the 1005 option, I am paying way more than that (over $230/month) and it is a hardship. But I have two family members with medical issues, so it is imperative that I stay on this option. And yes, they really do have flight attendants out west on food stamps. They also have a food pantry out there for flight attendants to use.

Airport customer service. So my pay is just as bad as everybody else's. :)
Original US or HP or express?

Getting pay more and paying less for insurance is one way to correct that

I think that is your problem. You are trying to compare what you have to others. It sounds like the flight attendants pay a little more for there coverage. Does not really matter though because again, you are trying to compare several different jobs with different circumstances. McDonald's tends to be a temporary job for those in school or supplemental income. I believe Walmart tries to higher most people part time so they don't have to pay insurance. But again we should only compare with what you already have at your job. Just because someone else takes a job at Walmart with no insurance does not make it right. I have never liked Walmart's predatory practices to begin with. I certainly don't fault those that take jobs there when the job market is the way it is. We are not discussing that though. We are discussing a new contract for flight attendants that they will have to live with for the next five to how many years. During that time they should be able to keep a benefit which they already have at a reasonable expense. The problem becomes that little bits are taken here and there till there is nothing left. Where does it stop? You may not think a $3000/$6000 deductible is not all that bad for you, but it can bring someone who your company would also like to pay significantly less as well into financial hardship. It may be fine if you are young, single and healthy to gamble with 80% coverage but for a lot it does not make for a sound financial decision.

It also is not just about deductibles and co-pay either. What coverages are being eliminated? After happily paying your $3000/$6000 you then find out that you have another ailment that is not even covered but was before. Still happy with that coverage? Everyones situation is different, for you to decide that 15 years is enough for everyone to have their financial house in order is a pretty bold statement for you to make. Life is fragile! Things can change in a heartbeat. Look at the Congress woman from AZ. Prominent position with a husband that is an Astronaut ready to command the last shuttle mission. Life could not be better. On top of the world literally. That changed in seconds! In your 15 years off bliss someone else may have had an accident and was unable to work for a time. Then when all was starting to look up they had to take care of an elderly parent or a sick child. Things aren't always rosy and 15 years can bring lots of change both good and bad! While they are working for your company they should be able to have affordable access to the care they have come accustom to. Reality is that everyone at your company has been asked to do more work for less with less. I think that should afford them some better health care option than 80% coverage.

I know we do redhead, but if we allow the company to start frittering away our health benefits only God knows what we'll end up with over time.
We have had this plan on the east for many years... I for one have always taken the 80 percent plan.. these plans only are for "major" medical.... that means you have been hospitalized... or have hospital procedures or outpatient surgery...

once you meet your out of pocket on any of these plans... you are covered 100 percent

No, I am not an FA. I would suck at it to be honest and I know that the pay is terrible. I am ACS. However, if a person spay tayed 15 years at a job at still had that much trouble making ends meet, then they need to look at the choices they've made and not blame the company or the union. I don't hear the outrage over the poor pay at McDonald's or Walmart.
Its more like 145.00 per pay period for 100 percent coverage for the family plan. Not penuts... when you only make max 50k per year... most make way less than that..

We have had this plan on the east for many years... I for one have always taken the 80 percent plan.. these plans only are for "major" medical.... that means you have been hospitalized... or have hospital procedures or outpatient surgery...

once you meet your out of pocket on any of these plans... you are covered 100 percent

I understand your point. And as you know you chose to take the 80% plan as is your right. I've chosen the 100% plan and, along with the added cost comes the peace of mind in knowing that after the deductible is paid I don't have a bill. But we all have differing agendas. And we all have had a choice. I like having the choice of choosing 100, 90 or 80%. I don't want either or forced down my throat.

I think that is your problem. You are trying to compare what you have to others. It sounds like the flight attendants pay a little more for there coverage. Does not really matter though because again, you are trying to compare several different jobs with different circumstances. McDonald's tends to be a temporary job for those in school or supplemental income. I believe Walmart tries to higher most people part time so they don't have to pay insurance. But again we should only compare with what you already have at your job. Just because someone else takes a job at Walmart with no insurance does not make it right. I have never liked Walmart's predatory practices to begin with. I certainly don't fault those that take jobs there when the job market is the way it is. We are not discussing that though. We are discussing a new contract for flight attendants that they will have to live with for the next five to how many years. During that time they should be able to keep a benefit which they already have at a reasonable expense. The problem becomes that little bits are taken here and there till there is nothing left. Where does it stop? You may not think a $3000/$6000 deductible is not all that bad for you, but it can bring someone who your company would also like to pay significantly less as well into financial hardship. It may be fine if you are young, single and healthy to gamble with 80% coverage but for a lot it does not make for a sound financial decision.

It also is not just about deductibles and co-pay either. What coverages are being eliminated? After happily paying your $3000/$6000 you then find out that you have another ailment that is not even covered but was before. Still happy with that coverage? Everyones situation is different, for you to decide that 15 years is enough for everyone to have their financial house in order is a pretty bold statement for you to make. Life is fragile! Things can change in a heartbeat. Look at the Congress woman from AZ. Prominent position with a husband that is an Astronaut ready to command the last shuttle mission. Life could not be better. On top of the world literally. That changed in seconds! In your 15 years off bliss someone else may have had an accident and was unable to work for a time. Then when all was starting to look up they had to take care of an elderly parent or a sick child. Things aren't always rosy and 15 years can bring lots of change both good and bad! While they are working for your company they should be able to have affordable access to the care they have come accustom to. Reality is that everyone at your company has been asked to do more work for less with less. I think that should afford them some better health care option than 80% coverage.

The $10-$30 is for East FA's on the 80% plan. They don't pay more than anybody else (and less than pilots and management). It is all on Wings.

The plan does not have a $3,000/$6,000 deductible. That is the out of pocket. Completely different. Plus, it isn't like we are paying 20% of perscriptions, office visits, lab work, etc. That stuff is all covered by co-pays.

You are right that Wal-Mart is not the best example, but really, to read this board, many FA's blame everyone else but themselves for their low pay and tough working conditions. I am just tired of it. This company doesn't owe anybody anything but a paycheck. The point of a company is to make money for its shareholders/investors. Sucks when you aren't one, but there it is. Don't like it? Quit or buy stock.

The $10-$30 is for East FA's on the 80% plan. They don't pay more than anybody else (and less than pilots and management). It is all on Wings.

The plan does not have a $3,000/$6,000 deductible. That is the out of pocket. Completely different. Plus, it isn't like we are paying 20% of perscriptions, office visits, lab work, etc. That stuff is all covered by co-pays.

You are right that Wal-Mart is not the best example, but really, to read this board, many FA's blame everyone else but themselves for their low pay and tough working conditions. I am just tired of it. This company doesn't owe anybody anything but a paycheck. The point of a company is to make money for its shareholders/investors. Sucks when you aren't one, but there it is. Don't like it? Quit or buy stock.

In all fairness rehead, all workgroups complain about the very same things you say flight attendants complain about. And it's cool with me. And I think they have a right to do so without quitting or, if they're smart, buying stock.

I appreciate you correcting me on my numbers. I did misspeak. And of course you are right basing it on 80% coverage. What I have been trying to project for some time is that for better or worse, your insurance is a part of your overall compensation. I think the flight attendants or any other group that is asked to give up insurance coverage options that already exist while also asked to take a pay cut at the same time is a huge sacrifice. Why should they be blaming themselves? They should only blame themselves if they roll over and play dead and go along with whatever the company says or for that matter their union leadership. They are doing exactly as they should. Making people aware that they are being railroaded.

You are correct that the company is responsible to the shareholders. It is also a known fact that your best asset is the front line employee. Take care of them and the shareholders will remain happy for the long term. That is one of the largest problems with American business right now. Short term gains no matter the cost to the long term viability of the company. Why? Because it will be the next management teams problem.

The company owes you whatever you negotiated into your contract! I guess if they sit back and do nothing then you would be correct that they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Back