Another warning of what's coming

that is scary. but they forgot to mention that a USAIRWAYS EXPRESS Beech-1900D crashed on take off due to third party maintaince failure to properly fix the tail section of the plane

that is scary. but they forgot to mention that a USAIRWAYS EXPRESS Beech-1900D crashed on take off due to third party maintaince failure to properly fix the tail section of the plane

Isnt there where NW got the mechanics they have working for them now in the form of PTO, OPuss, etc.? The highly skilled contract workers at their best no doubt.

The report I read was improper flight control rig by a unexperienced 3rd party mechanic.

It was apparently cost effective.

So now you have to have FAA over sight to be a good mechanic. I do agree that there are some very poor MRO's out there that need babysitting. The FAA does need to step up the pace in auditing these facilities. To say that third party maintenance is beneath you guys is gluttonous arrogance.

PlaytheCods,

Only speaking what the facts and first hand experience show. I've seen some 3rd party work that is consistantly sub-standard and unsafe. If the MRO's were so great 'Cods, you wouldn't be a NWA scab. The FAA does what big corporate money tells them to, they only act when there is a body count or a accident. Then the action is usally against the worker, not the company.

If it was up to scab chumps like you, we would all be at Wal-Mart and Jiffy Lube wages, living in hotels and campers, calling the wife from a 1000 miles away on the holidays.

Wrong again Hackman, I just got through with a paintball war with the entire family. I had turkey right here at my parent’s house with all the trimmings.

You are right about the FAA being a reactive organization. The writing is already on the wall though and I do hope that the FAA can recognize the shortcomings it is facing if it doesn't get ahead of this trend.

So now you have to have FAA over sight to be a good mechanic. I do agree that there are some very poor MRO's out there that need babysitting. The FAA does need to step up the pace in auditing these facilities. To say that third party maintenance is beneath you guys is gluttonous arrogance.
If it is such gluttonous arrogance, then why did the 21 souls on board the BEECH-1900D crash with the tail problem? to me, it was pure arrogance that the idiot who fixed it fixed it improperly and therefore, casued the accident and I am willin to bet that he still has that job along with his supervisor. But the families of the 21 victims dont have their loved ones anymore due to the arrogance and gluttonous mistake that the one individual made

Robbed, I do not know the details of the crash you continue to mention but I do know one thing, very seldom does a crash occur from one single mistake. There are usually many mistakes made that leads up to a crash with many individuals or departments making them. Did the mechanic make a mistake or did engineering or maybe both? Where was Quality? Where was the lead and supervisors? Where was the company Rep? Where were the FAA auditors? I have never heard of one mistake by a single mechanic bringing down a jetliner. Small aircraft yes but it takes many factors to fall into place to bring a commercial airliner down.

You're welcome.

The point that an inexperienced mechanic (performing a repair he'd never done w/no oversight) helped kill 21 people stands. With literally hundreds of people now doing the same at NW, I pray that history won't repeat itself.

The one good thing that came out of this (the only thing so far) is that the average psgr./bag weights were raised for commercial flights.

That aircraft was doomed before it arrived on the field every department failed on this one. So much for Robbs single Mechanic theory. Damn, I called that one didn't I?

Thank you for the link KEV.
YEs the plane was doomed befoe it arrived back on field. however, i must tell you that the plane had 9 flights between the time it came out of the WVA hangar and the crash and at least 2x it had control problems DUE to the LACK of HIGHLY SKILLED mechanics. But the FAA is as well to blame as the Air Midwest failure to look over and see to
that no mistakes are made. Since then they have taken their own maintaince back home.

Nine flights? Flight controls written up more than twice? Incorrect weight and balance? Even though the original mechanic screwed up really bad there was more than ample time to catch this one. This just goes to show how complacent Airlines have become.

but in each of the none prior flts the crew was able to compensate and they had the help of having light loads. on the fateful flight, it was booked solid and, despite the bags being loaded in the aft, the plane could have flown the 20 minute trip. but the tail was so badly screwed up that the crew never had a chance

Latest posts

Back