Article on revenue gains

Does anyone else visualize WT saying "Delta, Delta, Delta" in the Pam Brady (Eve Plum) voice like "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha"?

WorldTraveler said:
You have tried to use arguments which don't hold water if they are pushed.

Bull$**** WT.
You've stated that the numbers (weight of B772 vs A333) FWAA provided were incorrect and dared to be proven wrong.
Now that you've been proven to be incorrect, you refuse to admit it.
Instead, you carry on typing an essay on how despite posting the wrong numbers, the conclusions you've reached form your faulty data is nevertheless correct.  And ofcourse you manage to mention DL superiority into all your responses.
Yet you wonder why only Spectator cares about what you have to say.

WorldTraveler said:
Whether it is 25, 30, or 50K hardly seems to be the point. What does matter is that AA has operated 2/3 of its int'l flights on an aircraft that was heavier than needed.
Don't change the subject.
If anybody else had posted that whether it is 25k, 30k or 50k lbs - that it doesn't make a difference, you would be mocking their intelligence and threatening to have them banished from the boards.

Hey WT - my questions still stands:  how is it OK to ridicule AA for fleet commonality when it was the norm at DL too?

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
Would you care to comment on this?

"The Delta agreement, after all, paralleled one signed last November by American Airlines, which also committed to a long-term relationship with Boeing for about 20 years. Both airlines said that in return for promising steady business to Boeing, they get price breaks and flexibility in the timing of deliveries of new planes. In addition, they said, a fleet of planes from just one manufacturer lowered the costs of training and keeping spare parts inventories."
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/03/21/business/delta-to-buy-only-boeing-jets-for-20-years.html

Bull$#### WT.
You've stated that the numbers (weight of B772 vs A333) FWAA provided were incorrect and dared to be proven wrong.
Now that you've been proven to be incorrect, you refuse to admit it.
Instead, you carry on typing an essay on how despite posting the wrong numbers, the conclusions you've reached form your faulty data is nevertheless correct.  And ofcourse you manage to mention DL superiority into all your responses.
I haven't refused to admit anything. I have said I would retract my statement if someone posted the actual weights of AA's 772ERs.
Let's go with 25K pounds.
How much extra weight did AA carry around operating flights for which the 772ER was even 25K pounds heavier than the 333?
And again, AA could have used Boeing aircraft too, including the 763ER which was already in AA's fleet.

Hey WT - my questions still stands:  how is it OK to ridicule AA for fleet commonality when it was the norm at DL too?
the argument is actually about obtaining the desired amount of fleet COMPLEXITY.

You apparently missed that DL operated the 777, 764, and 763 even before the NW merger so DL DID add complexity to its fleet based on its desire not to carry more aircraft than necessary. CO, NW, and UA also had more widebody types.

if i remember  nwa had dc-10s  747s for widebodies had 787s on order  but i dont remember if they had any other widebodies  CO had 777s 76s dc-10s  may be 747s but not sure... 
my dad remembers back in the late 60s to early 80s when dl operated the 747 L-1011 and the DC10s at one time  but what was the configs for them at the time

and the DC10.... how soon after the 330s arrived did the D10s depart, Kev?

robbed,
DL operated the D10s twice... once as backups for the L1011s that were delayed because of Rolls-Royce' problems and then again after the Western merger.

Since this thread is about AA, they did operate A300s and 767s at the same time even though it is a lot harder to understand the rationale for doing so.
AA also operated the D10 and M11 (which was their TPAC plane when SJC was being built up as a hub).

And AA operated the 747SP as its first transpac airplane, operating DFW-NRT when it was first started.

The question is not that AA didn't ever operate multiple widebodies but that they stopped the practice and defaulted to the 763 and 777.

And you thought that I didn't know that the probable cause was considered crew error? most airline accidents are...
I'm not sure what that has to do with the L1011, though. DL operated the L10 until DL was one of the last carriers operating it.

The accident just like the 727 accident at DFW didn't "turn DL off" to the aircraft type involved in the accident.

AA pilots flew a 757 into a mountain in Colombia or Peru, IIRC, but that didn't lead to grounding the aircraft.

There were many concerns about the A300 tail after the AA NYC accident.

WorldTraveler said:
The L1011 accident at DFW was wind sheer.

If the NYC A300 accident had nothing to do with the aircraft then it makes it all the more damning as to why AA failed to purchase an aircraft that was more profitably matched to the routes that formed the core of its int'l network.

there are plenty of people on here who posted endlessly about AA's disgust for Airbus products because of the NYC A300 crash.

How long has AA operated its US-LHR routes, nearly all of which have been within the range of the 333 even with the performance it had 15 years ago?

AA has been operating an excessively heavy aircraft on its core network of 9-10 hour flights using 772s.
You only mentioned it was wind shear.....But you conveniently failed to mention the crews role in the accident.

given that 90% or so of accidents are tagged with pilot error that is sort of a given.

That, IIRC, was a cause given to AA 587 (?) in NYC, right? Yet most people were willing to recognize that maybe the plane shouldn't have allowed the pilot to do what he did.

WorldTraveler said:
I haven't refused to admit anything. I have said I would retract my statement if someone posted the actual weights of AA's 772ERs.
Let's go with 25K pounds.
How much extra weight did AA carry around operating flights for which the 772ER was even 25K pounds heavier than the 333?
And again, AA could have used Boeing aircraft too, including the 763ER which was already in AA's fleet.

the argument is actually about obtaining the desired amount of fleet COMPLEXITY.

You apparently missed that DL operated the 777, 764, and 763 even before the NW merger so DL DID add complexity to its fleet based on its desire not to carry more aircraft than necessary. CO, NW, and UA also had more widebody types.

Let's see if I can sum up this thread so far:
1)  starts out with a link to an article stating how Parker will furhter optimize revenue at AA, followed by some comments on adjusting aircraft used on routes, even adjusting / elminating, basically whatever is necessary, as was the case when HP took over US
2)  you jump in to heap praise on  DL for operating the A333 (which is really an airplane they've inherited from NW)
3)  at the same time you make the snide remark of some airlines not being able to safely fly Airbus aircraft
4)  then you proceed to show your genius by stating that the B772 is 50k lbs heavier than A333 (a number you've pulled out of your jazz)
5)  when you were corrected, you've made the statement that there really is no difference between 25k, 30k or 50k lbs, therefore proving that you were right all along
6)  now you attempt to change the subject and say that the issue all along was fleet complexity

Although I reject your premise I'll play along:  wouldn't you say that in terms of fleet complexity, prior to the DL-NW merger, AA and DL had comparable fleet complexities?  For example, while DL may have had the B764 for specific markets, AA did operate the A300 for specific markets.  Granted, following the DL-NW merger, DLs fleet complexity, or perhaps diversity increased with the addition of the A320 family, the A330 and B744.  Nevertheless, following the US merger, one could argue that AA wil again have comparable fleet complexity to DL (assuming the B77W = B744, A319=B717, etc.).

You're so obsessed in portraying DL as the utmost supreme airline that it takes a willing suspension of disbelief to even consider anything written in your posts as other than fiction.

It's been a while since I read the NTSB report on AA587, but didn't Airbus (and the NTSB) blame the first officer, who had a history of over-zealous rudder usage at higher airspeeds?   AA (and the NTSB) placed some blame on Airbus for designing a rudder that could be moved full-stop at higher airspeeds while Boeing's rudders had limiters that might prevent such a heavy-footed pilot from breaking the tail.   

Back