Background Check

okienyc

Aug 9, 2007
Hi;

I just heard back from UAL about an online application that I filled out for a ramp job (I'm in NYC). They want me to fill out an "assessment test" and if I pass they will conduct a phone interview with them. So, my question is this; if anyone can tell me what to expect and how to succeed in this please do. I also would like to know about the background check and what that entails. I would make a great employee and have never been accused, much less convicted, of a crime and the drug test....no need to even discuss. My problem is that I've had a business go under a few years ago and my credit is in the tank. Is that going to be a deal breaker?

Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi;

I just heard back from UAL about an online application that I filled out for a ramp job (I'm in NYC). They want me to fill out an "assessment test" and if I pass they will conduct a phone interview with them. So, my question is this; if anyone can tell me what to expect and how to succeed in this please do. I also would like to know about the background check and what that entails. I would make a great employee and have never been accused, much less convicted, of a crime and the drug test....no need to even discuss. My problem is that I've had a business go under a few years ago and my credit is in the tank. Is that going to be a deal breaker?

Thanks

Why not give CEO a shot? You are fully qualified.

An assessment test to work the ramp for an airline in this day? That should be being able to apply an X to the bottom of the application. :blink:

So has United. Shouldn't be a problem. :up:
Well, I had already thought of that one. Unfortunately, the FAA seems to be in charge of these things and they, thank you taxpayers, have not been in any financial difficulty lately.

I also would like to know about the background check and what that entails.

The background checks could be performed on up to 1 million employees who have access to areas of the airport typically off-limits to passengers including ramps, tarmacs and off-duty airplanes. These employees include caterers, mechanics, parts suppliers, and cleaners as well as airline and security personnel.

There are 25 crimes that disqualify an individual from gaining employment as a baggage screener or other person with access to secure areas of an airplane, the FAA said.

These include murder, assault with intent to murder, espionage, treason, rape, kidnapping, unlawful possession of an explosive or weapon, extortion, armed robbery, distribution of or intent to distribute controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance, armed robbery, willful destruction of property, burglary, theft, fraud, and aggravated assault.

These are crimes of violence, drugs, theft. It does not say anything about bad credit, so you should be ok.

In the US, there is such a thing as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), which is responsible for regulating background checks, including pre employment background checks. This is in recognition of the fact that the information obtained from the pre employment background check performed by a third party, such as a company that specializes in background checks, tends to be of a sensitive nature. The FRCA is the most notable among the laws that control the spread and lawful utilization of such information. Also, the FRCA puts constraints on pre employment background check and mitigates the affects unfavorable assessments, providing notice to the consumer or the person who underwent the pre employment background check, and controls the dissemination of such information. Furthermore, should the pre employment background check be used as a major reason behind an unfavorable hiring result, the consumer should be furnished with a document disclosing adverse action before it is to be taken into effect, a letter notifying him of the adverse action, as well as a copy of his rights as summarized by the FRCA. Even if you search 11 billion public records , job applicants are given the right to know the source of the negative information and what the information revealed about the job applicant.

Hi;

Thanks

Take it from me...stay away from any Ramp job. Its not a good place to work and the company has you under observation the whole time you are there. Too may injuries on the job and too much goes on there with employee backbiting one another. The Ramp used to be a good place to work part time and still receive benefits, but airline jobs are horrible these days. I recommend you get a job in a different industry and pay for your tickets. You will come out ahead in the end.

Take it from me...stay away from any Ramp job. Its not a good place to work and the company has you under observation the whole time you are there. Too may injuries on the job and too much goes on there with employee backbiting one another. The Ramp used to be a good place to work part time and still receive benefits, but airline jobs are horrible these days. I recommend you get a job in a different industry and pay for your tickets. You will come out ahead in the end.

+1

I agree with novaqt. My buddy was working at AA and they backstabbed him big time. He was an excellent worker got along with everyone did his job pefect and they fired him for 14 bags which wasn't his fault. Also your tickets are on standby and like novaqt said you are better off buying your tickets except for international now that is a good deal.

Back