BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING

Status
Not open for further replies.
A merger is needed for economies of scale (or the current theme for this week "companies that are too large to fail"), and to compete with the now 'world's largest airline', the Deltoids. US needs a large international presence, and UAL needs to avoid another bankruptcy.

I am tired of the argument about economy of scale. All these corporations are plenty large enough to get the best discounts from suppliers. Although not reapply applicable to the conversation I still see Bud Fox asking Gordon Gecko how much is enough?

There may be a merger, or another "unique corporate transaction", as our pilot pal used to call it, but it won't be UA-US....at least in my humble opinion.

The move of CO to *Star, and its coordination with UA is, I believe, a precursor to CO purchasing all or part of UA. Now it may be what's left is merged with US, and takes the UA name, but I don't think DOJ will allow a 3 way merger, or an elaborate code share with CO and then a combined UA/US. I think they would view that as anticompetitive.

God knows I have been wrong before, but my guess would be UA/CO, with UA having to divest of some parts, sold to US, along with the United name.

On the other hand, perhaps East/West will be split and sold off as well.....

I heard this from the lavatory attendant at ORD who heard the station manager for US who heard it from............bottom line, until there is an announcement we don't know anything.

I do, however, maintain my opinion that ANY corporate combination will be doomed if the current executive team from Tempe is left in charge........

I don't seriously think that the government is going to be bailing out banks and wall street investment firms so that they can finance airline mergers. Unless the money is already on the books somewhere, and it doesn't appear to be at LCC, I don't know where it would come from. Oh, I know! GM, Ford or Chrysler!

I have seen the government do some pretty stupid things, so it is still possible, just VERY unlikely, IMHO.

I feel that time has passed. With Obama and the rest of house democrats it will be much harder for a merger to go through. DL/NW knew this and got the job done early on.

Remember that President-elect Obama has represented Chicago for many years, and is still the junior senator from Illinois until January 20.

It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that he might be inclined to look after UAL's interests.

Bringing in another airline's pilots into the seniority integration process should be a piece of cake. Think of all the United new hires that could be furloughed to save more US Air pilot jobs.

Bringing in another airline's pilots into the seniority integration process should be a piece of cake. Think of all the United new hires that could be furloughed to save more US Air pilot jobs.

Or the late-1990's UAL hires that are now facing the prospect of furlough again.

Remember, it was the UAL pilot neutral who agreed that pilots on furlough at the time of the merger should be stapled to the bottom of the list. And if ALPA returns to the property, it has already approved and endorsed the Nicolau list. And the Nicolau list is now the template for ALPA merger arbitration. (From not one, but two mergers: AAA/USS and AAA/AWA.)

So nine-year UAL pilots now facing furlough will end up below AWA pilots who were hired later, and who will hopefully avoid furlough.

I wonder how that pilot neutral will be received in UAL crewrooms and cockpits if that happens?

Heard from a co-worker, that heard from a pilot, that heard from an F/A's husband that is in the route structuring dept. that it is a new route!

The highly coveted, much anticipated, first carrier, seasonal service to Antartica will be announced with December thru April 3X a week service!

A little morning humor to go with that cup o' joe... cheers.

If you go back and look through the last couple of months of UAL PR's, they seem to mention CAL and their development of a joint partnership in about every other one. CAL/UAL was done deal this past spring and it didn't happen. Shortly thereafter CAL was brought into the Star Alliance and UAL/CAL are in the process of establishing a revenue sharing deal and Glen Tilton sings the praises of CAL in every other press release.

UAL/CAL is just a matter of time. If US mergers with anyone, it would likely be AA and that is only if they are interested.

Heard from a co-worker, that heard from a pilot, that heard from an F/A's husband that is in the route structuring dept. that it is a new route!

The highly coveted, much anticipated, first carrier, seasonal service to Antartica will be announced with December thru April 3X a week service!

A little morning humor to go with that cup o' joe... cheers.

Wow! Great News!

I didn't know a 757 could do that.

Remember that President-elect Obama has represented Chicago for many years, and is still the junior senator from Illinois until January 20.

It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that he might be inclined to look after UAL's interests.

Interesting point. That does change things

....Shortly thereafter CAL was brought into the Star Alliance and UAL/CAL are in the process of establishing a revenue sharing deal and Glen Tilton sings the praises of CAL in every other press release.

UAL/CAL is just a matter of time. If US mergers with anyone, it would likely be AA and that is only if they are interested.
CAL is not in Star yet and won't likely be until late 2009. The UAL/CAL merger didn't happen because CAL is strong by themselves. UAL and US, however, would achieve a strong global route network, also with a strong global alliance. So, a US/UA UCT it's not out of the realm of possibility.....

Will anyone want to even touch US with East and West still flying seperate? US will need to get everything straight in it's own house first (at least this is what I think) before any carrier even looks at them remotely.

Or, US could sell off US East to one company and US West to another. Probably not likely since it seems they want to be in charge of the whole thing, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back