BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is US and yes they did let the ramp and GSE go to contractor yet kept the maint side. I had spoken with VP of Maint Rick Ohme(sp) and he stated to the best of my memory that AWA did not believe in laying people off as they would rather get more work and keep people on staff and working. Nice sentiment but I did not see any work coming into these stations.

Aren't you the same guy that is certain USAPA can do what they want in regards to seniority with impunity and no consequences? I guess your group are the only ones self righteous enough to wield the stapler...you have ZERO problems with that. The same old hypocritical Eastie B.S..

DOH is hardly a stapler. Look at the history of airline labor, and ALL labor for that matter, and DOH is still the gold standard.

The westwhiners (it's now a new single word) will never get that FACT through their thick skulls.

Finally, no one ever said (especially not me...I defy you to find the post) that USAPA could do what they want with impunity in regards to seniority. Again, DOH is an objective, highly-defensible, historical means of integrating labor groups. It's not operating with impunity, but again I don't expect westwhiners to understand the concept.

DOH is hardly a stapler. Look at the history of airline labor, and ALL labor for that matter, and DOH is still the gold standard.

The westwhiners (it's now a new single word) will never get that FACT through their thick skulls.

Finally, no one ever said (especially not me...I defy you to find the post) that USAPA could do what they want with impunity in regards to seniority. Again, DOH is an objective, highly-defensible, historical means of integrating labor groups. It's not operating with impunity, but again I don't expect westwhiners to understand the concept.

I'll agree that DOH is like the Gold Standard. Gone. A myth. Not real anymore.

Usapa Absolutely HAS done what it wants with impunity. There was zero west input to your new fantasy list. None. Not one single attempt, fake or otherwise, has been made to even consider
the West's point of view. America West Saved tens of thousands of your jobs and to thank them you Hijak due process, insist on an 85% staple job, renege on your promises, and waste everybody's careers in Court. Good Job.

Oh, one last thing, Call George Nicalau and the other neutrals and let them know how "highly defensible" your DOH argument is. They only sat through several months of your sides DOH drivel. :rolleyes:

What was his decision again? Oh yeah, DOH is a worthless method.

More East coast eminently entitled, hypocritical B.S..

:rolleyes:
Not that it matters at this point, but I read somewhere that UA-US merger is alive and well. The one deal breaker is the trainwreck known as the dueling pilots! Once that issue is resolved(perhaps by 2112), then we'll fly the friendly skies! :lol:

This is NOT the pilot thread. You have a whole thread dedicated solely to that purpose. Please use it instead of spilling over into non pilot specific threads unless it directly pertains to the topic of this thread.

"UAL/CAL is just a matter of time. If US mergers with anyone, it would likely be AA and that is only if they are interested."

You may or may not be right. Who knows? But unless you work in the corporate suite of any of the aforementioned airlines you really don't know what you're talking about. These posts that are posited in absolutes with no real basis in fact get to be really nauseating. There is no poster on these boards, unless they work in the corporate suites of the relevant carriers, who was consulted when US and HP, DL and NW et al initiated their merger talks.

Opinion, speculation and pontification are all a part of normal healthy human discourse. But to put forward these notions as gospel comes off as a tad bit haughty to me.
hit it right on the nail ebwgs. nobody know squat.

Word on the street is that the merger with United is not dead. Sources from the westside say things could be announced this month. Also more maintenance station closings. Insiders say Hartford, Richmond and Chicago. It's about to go down...........

Ahhh thank you! Now that the seasonal "Big Announcement Coming" thread is here it really is starting to feel like the Holiday's!

:lol:

I really just have a quick thought in regards to UAL not wanting to merge with us based solely on the pilots' dilemma between east and west metal. United's pilot group is bigger than both of the US Airways pilot groups combined (6000+ vs. 5000+), so allow the "new United" and it's new pilot union to do what it will.

UAL/CAL is just a matter of time. If US mergers with anyone, it would likely be AA and that is only if they are interested.

I'm not trying to be tacky, but why ever would AA want to merge/purchase/link up with LCC? What would it bring to the table other than more labor difficulty than we already have? We still have 1200 f/as on furlough and (I think) a similar number of pilots on furlough. Then we have all the AA pilots who are currently flying at AE who have to be recalled to mainline before there is any new hiring.

There are no routes that LCC has that AA could not obtain for itself by just flying the route. The postponed PHL to China route? We already have a postponed China route of our own, thank you very much. :lol: And, we certainly would not be interested in any domestic routes. I don't know if you are aware, but the CFO of AMR announced a couple of weeks ago that AA will be cutting domestic capacity another 14% in 2009. This follows a 12.5% cut in domestic capacity this year.

Aircraft? AMR has made it more than clear that they are a Boeing-friendly company. They are grounding the A300s over the next year. They are not replacing them with newer Airbus a/c.

I don't think AMR is going to (again) run out and purchase/merge with another airline just to retain the "U.S. largest airline" title. Just reflect on how well that action with TWA worked out--especially for the TW employees.

While I do understand your points, I feel that US would add a few positive items to AA. First would be the
CLT Hub, which would fill AA's huge void in the Southeastern part of the country and would enable them to compete directly with DL's ATL hub. AA did make a failed attempt to do this with a Hub in RDU years ago. Next would be the Shuttle operation, which AA has expressed lots of interest in over the years. Last, but not least would be the PHL Hub. I realize that is it not all that far away from JFK, but PHL has more than enough of it's own O&D traffic alone that doesn't pull off of the NYC area. I know that both AA and US have major labor issues, as well as many poeple on furlough that would need to be addressed first.

While I do understand your points, I feel that US would add a few positive items to AA. First would be the
CLT Hub, which would fill AA's huge void in the Southeastern part of the country and would enable them to compete directly with DL's ATL hub. AA did make a failed attempt to do this with a Hub in RDU years ago. Next would be the Shuttle operation, which AA has expressed lots of interest in over the years. Last, but not least would be the PHL Hub. I realize that is it not all that far away from JFK, but PHL has more than enough of it's own O&D traffic alone that doesn't pull off of the NYC area. I know that both AA and US have major labor issues, as well as many poeple on furlough that would need to be addressed first.

While that is a nice summary of the stengths of US (East), it requires sorta a giant leap of logic to then assert that AA (or any airline, for that matter) would pay anything to buy those strengths. Every airline has its strengths - even US. Whether anyone would buy those strenghts (besides Doug Parker) is quite another matter.

1. For whatever reason, AA's attempts to establish a Southeastern U.S. hub have been singularly unsuccessful. You mentioned the RDU attempt. What about the two attempts at BNA? At the same time, flights to/from ATL, CLT, RIC, RDU, BHM on AA are always full. Considering the number of pilots and f/as we have on furlough, and the number of a/c we have sitting in the desert, if AA wanted to increase its presence in the Southeast, we have the wherewithal to do it.
2. Buying LCC for its shuttle would not guarantee continued operation of it. Other airlines have made it clear that they resent the lock on LGA and DCA slots that LCC (and AA) have. Any time slots should become available or change hands, I have a feeling that any exchange between LCC and AA regardless of method will be challenged by the other airlines.
3. Operationally, don't you think we have enough delay prone airports with LGA and ORD on our hands? Why would we want to add PHL even for the O&D traffic? :lol: (Again, AMR is planning reduction of domestic capacity for next year, not increase.)

While that is a nice summary of the stengths of US (East), it requires sorta a giant leap of logic to then assert that AA (or any airline, for that matter) would pay anything to buy those strengths. Every airline has its strengths - even US. Whether anyone would buy those strenghts (besides Doug Parker) is quite another matter.
Agreed, I just wanted to point out that US does have something to bring to the table. Granted there are many issues involved either way. It is true that AA has the A/C and people available to build up most of the US route structure, but competiton and over capacity would still exist. IF AA did decide to pursue US, they could have the route system of US while eliminating competition and capacity in one shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.