Call sign for Airtraffic

There is a small sticker on the repainted planes that the plane is "operated by US Airways."   That will remain until the airlines are combined.

FWAAA said:
There is a small sticker on the repainted planes that the plane is "operated by US Airways."   That will remain until the airlines are combined.
Yes I know about that. I was thinking in terms of ATC, specifically ramp, ground and tower, all of whom rely on visual sighting. So they will only see American while calling out Cactus.

Piedmont1984 said:
I would have thought that repainted aircraft would keep the USAirways name on the side until a single operating certificate, similar to the callsign, but apparently not.

If the name on the US livery is simply a decal (or similar device), those will probably come off quickly and get an "American" replacement much sooner than their full paint.  Some of the US paint is nearly new, and likely has a service life measured in years.  I doubt they will run those into the paint shop quickly, but they will want to get the name changed.

Piedmont1984 said:
Yes I know about that. I was thinking in terms of ATC, specifically ramp, ground and tower, all of whom rely on visual sighting. So they will only see American while calling out Cactus.
I am sure as was with the UAL/CO Merger as they painted aircraft, the crew will need to identify to ATC ... Cactus XXX , in American Livery.

Piedmont1984 said:

When we fly that aircraft, we use the Cactus callsign, but are supposed to add "in American colors" so ATC will not get confused when they see the plane. So we check in as "CLT tower Cactus 702 in American colors on the visual approach for runway 36L"... :)

algflyr said:

When we fly that aircraft, we use the Cactus callsign, but are supposed to add "in American colors" so ATC will not get confused when they see the plane. So we check in as "CLT tower Cactus 702 in American colors on the visual approach for runway 36L"... :)
As we are supposed to do with any special paint scheme like the PI, or Steelers aircraft. But, it rarely happens.

nycbusdriver said:

If the name on the US livery is simply a decal (or similar device), those will probably come off quickly and get an "American" replacement much sooner than their full paint.  Some of the US paint is nearly new, and likely has a service life measured in years.  I doubt they will run those into the paint shop quickly, but they will want to get the name changed.
Dougie says the US fleet gets painted first, then the existing AA fleet. Said it on the last crew news, i think.
Cheers.

Back