Carry ons

OK PTO,
I'll ask the question again:If guys aren't doing their jobs(marshalling a/c) then why aren't they being disciplined? Certainly management is just looking for reasons to get rid of some senior ese's and replace them with newhires.

It certainly seems like poor local management to me!
I really do not have an answer for you on this one. It makes no sense at all, I have wondered the same thing myself. I am certainly with you on the poor local management. Something isn't at all right but I don't know what it is. There have been some terminations but only in extreme cases where threats and violence was present. I did hear some other mechanics talking, here are the basics of the conversation.

This is pure speculation and rumor. I have not had a chance to validate any of this. So don't hang me for it.

There are many rampers that hold A&P licenses. NWA is going to bring these guys on as mechanic helpers. They are also going to bring some rampers into the maintenance department that do not hold A&P licenses. The maintenance dept. will be responsible for marshaling, loading, maintenance and pushbacks. These guys will belong to the maintenance side of the house thus effectively getting the IAM away from the aircraft. I can see the benefits of this but I also see some pitfalls particularly with the handling of baggage and cargo.

It would be very entertaining to watch such an event unfold.

Do not fly NW. This is a bad situation that is foreshadowing something all of us in this industry dread. This airline nn to be grounded until real mechanics are in place. PTO, how could there be bad management on the local level? I thought it was all the unions fault.

This is pure speculation and rumor. I have not had a chance to validate any of this. So don't hang me for it.

There are many rampers that hold A&P licenses. NWA is going to bring these guys on as mechanic helpers. They are also going to bring some rampers into the maintenance department that do not hold A&P licenses. The maintenance dept. will be responsible for marshaling, loading, maintenance and pushbacks. These guys will belong to the maintenance side of the house thus effectively getting the IAM away from the aircraft. I can see the benefits of this but I also see some pitfalls particularly with the handling of baggage and cargo.

How is this supposed to work? The IAM would not let its members do struck work (i.e. the rampers doing maintenance). NWA certainly doesn't want to have to pay MX wages for ramp work either. Something's amiss here, but then again, it's rumor.

IThis is pure speculation and rumor. I have not had a chance to validate any of this. So don't hang me for it.

Whoever fed you this tripe is full of BS for too many reasons to go into, and since having tech ops do "everything airside" is part of your agenda, you bought it.

With regards to the Aircraft Support Technician position, I have to ask who would abdicate all of their seniority, and take a pay cut to become a mechanic's helper? The top out for that is less than the ramp (and that assumes they'd go straight to top out).

Whoever fed you this tripe is full of BS for too many reasons to go into, and since having tech ops do "everything airside" is part of your agenda, you bought it.

With regards to the Aircraft Support Technician position, I have to ask who would abdicate all of their seniority, and take a pay cut to become a mechanic's helper? The top out for that is less than the ramp (and that assumes they'd go straight to top out).
That was my question. If he's heard they'd be "drafted", that wouldn't happen either. The only people ever "drafted" to do struck work would be that own department's management. I'm sure NWA took all the MX Management it could when the strike started.

I see a lot of issues with this also. Then again the IAM members are already willing to do struck work (pushbacks). Also hasn't the IAM contract been ruled null and void by the BK judge.(Wow, was just informed that we have a new mechanic on the team. He was a Ramper. Is that coincidence or what?) Could be just an isolated case though. That also brings up the AMT pay scale, which I thought was very strange to begin with maybe it's not after all. NWA has an opportunity here to restructure its entire operation. On the mechanic side of the house it has been much more than simply using Scabs, when the AMFA Guys returned they were lost because the operation has changed so much. They all seem to agree that it is a much better set up. Ill see what this Ramp guy has to say tomorrow.

I see a lot of issues with this also. Then again the IAM members are already willing to do struck work (pushbacks).

Not all of them....

Also hasn't the IAM contract been ruled null and void by the BK judge.

No. That was delayed due to the comapny and IAM coming up with a tenantive proposal. If it's not ratified, then the abrogation process will continue.

(Wow, was just informed that we have a new mechanic on the team. He was a Ramper. Is that coincidence or what?) Could be just an isolated case though.

Most likely.

That also brings up the AMT pay scale, which I thought was very strange to begin with maybe it's not after all. NWA has an opportunity here to restructure its entire operation.

If they were going to do what you say, why would they even waste their time hammering out an agreement with the IAM that includes scope language regarding towing, taxiing, and pushbacks?

On the mechanic side of the house it has been much more than simply using Scabs, when the AMFA Guys returned they were lost because the operation has changed so much. They all seem to agree that it is a much better set up. Ill see what this Ramp guy has to say tomorrow.

I'm sure you'll accept whatever he has to say as the gospel truth. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll accept whatever he has to say as the gospel truth. :rolleyes:
No big deal he just took a job as a ramper while he was going through A&P School thinking he would get his foot in the door through the ramp then jump over to maintenance once he completed school. He got his foot in the door but there was never any jumping involved till now.

Hey SCAB,

Go home SCAB! Quit stealing UNIONIZED labor, SCAB! SCAB you stink and so does your pie hole!

View attachment 4398
Kinda reminds ya of some 5th grader, dont it?

:lol: :lol: :up:
My world and welcome to it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, it is the TSA that specifies one carry-on bag and one small personal item. Then those goofballs allow people to carry a kitchen sink box sealed with masking tape through security as their "small" personal item.

The poor gate agents try to enforce the rules and get chewed by the "I'm an Executive Platinum and I want your name and employee number" crowd. I heard from an AA gate agent at LAX recently that they were fined by the FAA or the TSA for not making the gate announcement regarding acceptable carry-ons and not enforcing the rules.

I have tried to point out to the company more than once that when the passenger reaches row 27 on a narrow-body a/c, it is too late to tell them they are in violation of the carry-on rules.

One of my particular pet peeves--especially with women passengers--is the passenger who has a full-size rollaboard and tote bag and a laptop computer bag precariously balanced in the top of the tote bag on top of their purse (which comes out of the tote as soon as they get onto the jetbridge). That tote bag overstuffed with the computer bag and purse does NOT constitute "one small personal item."

Perhaps if the airlines had better baggage handling then customers wouldn't have the urge to try to jam everything in the overhead.
Hmmmm......good point.

Are you really that dumb, SCAB? Wait a minute...We all already know you're SCAB.
beckwith6-5-2.jpg
:D :lol: Yes, we DO have a sense of humor...I only wish more did

MEM to DTW. At least a 10 minute delay due to passengers trying to board the aircraft while passengers were trying to get off the aircraft so they could check their bags at the gate.

Gate agent says, "Ma’am you need to check your bag here at the gate."
Pax, "It will fit under the seat."
Gate agent, Thinking BS and moves to check the next paxs' bag.
PTO follows PAX. PAX is sitting at row 20 and PTO continues a couple of rows back. PAX opens four overhead bins looking for a place to shove her bag into. She opens a fifth to have some coats fall onto a seated passenger. After stuffing the coats back into the bin and a couple of door slams later she takes her seat and attempts to shove the bag under the seat. Of course, as the Gate Agent suspected, it would not fit. I am not sure but I believe she turns the bag onto its end and places it on the floor in front of her seat and between her legs. The F/A is now coming down the isle making sure everyone is ready for departure, she come to an abrupt halt when she sees the offending bag.
F/A, "...your bag must go in the overhead storage bin or under the seat otherwise it must be checked."
Pax, reluctantly gives up the bag to be checked.

I never did hear the cargo doors close but I wasn't paying attention either. But after the bag was removed from the aircraft I did pay attention. No cargo doors were opened or closed and we pushed back just a few minutes later. I would be willing to bet that womans bag is still on the jetway.

MEM to DTW. At least a 10 minute delay due to passengers trying to board the aircraft while passengers were trying to get off the aircraft so they could check their bags at the gate.

Gate agent says, "Ma’am you need to check your bag here at the gate."
Pax, "It will fit under the seat."
Gate agent, Thinking BS and moves to check the next paxs' bag.
PTO follows PAX. PAX is sitting at row 20 and PTO continues a couple of rows back. PAX opens four overhead bins looking for a place to shove her bag into. She opens a fifth to have some coats fall onto a seated passenger. After stuffing the coats back into the bin and a couple of door slams later she takes her seat and attempts to shove the bag under the seat. Of course, as the Gate Agent suspected, it would not fit. I am not sure but I believe she turns the bag onto its end and places it on the floor in front of her seat and between her legs. The F/A is now coming down the isle making sure everyone is ready for departure, she come to an abrupt halt when she sees the offending bag.
F/A, "...your bag must go in the overhead storage bin or under the seat otherwise it must be checked."
Pax, reluctantly gives up the bag to be checked.

I never did hear the cargo doors close but I wasn't paying attention either. But after the bag was removed from the aircraft I did pay attention. No cargo doors were opened or closed and we pushed back just a few minutes later. I would be willing to bet that womans bag is still on the jetway.

good...when i was a CSA for mesaba i couldn't tell you how many arguments i got into with pax about those stupid carry ons...like i said before many flts came very close to being delayed because of those bags

hopefully they held the bag a few flights....lol

I love it when pax tries to stuff huge roll bags into a compartment on a SAAB 340. Talk about the embarrasment the pax must be after arguing with gate agents, ramps agents and finally the Flight attendants. They always asks us if they need part of the yellow ticket!

I almost forgot to mention:

We get a late call that a portable oxygen bottle is low on a 57. SuperScab PTO puts in an order to stores for delivery at the gate then leaps aboard his ScabMobile and races to the discrepant aircraft. Bounding up the jetway he finds that the aircraft is boarding. He quickly converses with a Stewardess and learns the depleted bottle is at the aft of the aircraft. He is then reduced to patiently waiting for stores, hopefully the boarding will be done soon. Stores finally shows up with a new O2 bottle and PTO removes it from the box and checks the pressure and paperwork. The gate Agent is now checking bags at the gate. SuperScab PTO weaves his way between the passengers "Excuse me ma’am can I slide by, excuse me, excuse me, ma’am ma’am MA’AM Excuse me please I need to get by. Sir if you don't mind I need by. SuperScab PTO finally reaches the Aft R/H bin where the empty bottle lies just to find out it is well with-in limits but the stewardess thought it wasn't full enough. As SuperScab PTO changes out the bottle he hears:

Stewardess: There is no room left in the bins for luggage.
Pax: (pax opens bin) If we take these bags out that will fit under the seats and these coats it will fit.
SuperScab PTO: (Thinking-What? I did not hear that... and looks at the stewardess in disbelief. The Stewardess returns SuperScab PTO's gaze and shrugs her shoulders and shakes her head as if saying "What can you do with such ignorance."
Stewardess: You can ask the other passengers if they are willing to remove their belongings otherwise you will have to check your baggage.
SuperScab PTO: (Cuts an eye and watches the pax)
Pax: (Doesn't say anything but looks around at the other pax's for help, no one moves and tends to their business as if they heard nothing. Pax closes the bin.)
SuperScab PTO: (Addresses Stewardess') You ladies have a nice flight, you're good to go here. (Shuts the bin door and begins the trek back up the isle) "Excuse me..........."(He signs off the log book then heads for the jetway and over hears:)
Another Pax: (male)"Can you put my bag in the closet there.
Stewardess: That is for first class use only.
Pax: So they say.
SuperScab PTO: (Steps out of the aircraft onto the jetway where the rampers are already passing bags down the steps, there must be twenty or so including strollers. The line of Pax's still goes deep down the jetway. He then steps past the rampers and heads for his ScabMobile keying his mic, there is six minutes left on the clock) "Control copy A-99 maintenance ready"
Control: "Copy A-99, Thank you."
SuperScab PTO: Continues on with his mission.

Latest posts