CLT deicing

blownkneesbob

Mar 2, 2008
well the old saying rings true here. " You get what you pay for"
it seems the NEW CONTRACT deice company that airport director Jerry Orr is responsible for Didn't order enough Glycol so the last bank
in CLT cancelled leaving thousands of people stuck in the airport not having many options since the state has declared a state of emergency due to road conditions
way to go Jerry . You've Bashed Usair for years over their winter operation , So not only can you not keep your taxi and runways clean you Contractors to deice
can't even order enough Glycol . I'm sure your press conference will be blamed on US for having to many flights. and what about those brand new trucks sitting
idle. Someone in local government really needs to look at getting a Airport Director that knows what the H*ll he/she is doing time for Jerry to GO

Usair might want to reconsider contracting out such vitale functions during inclement weather .

Reactions: 1 person
well the old saying rings true here. " You get what you pay for"
it seems the NEW CONTRACT deice company that airport director Jerry Orr is responsible for Didn't order enough Glycol so the last bank
in CLT cancelled leaving thousands of people stuck in the airport not having many options since the state has declared a state of emergency due to road conditions
way to go Jerry . You've Bashed Usair for years over their winter operation , So not only can you not keep your taxi and runways clean you Contractors to deice
can't even order enough Glycol . I'm sure your press conference will be blamed on US for having to many flights. and what about those brand new trucks sitting
idle. Someone in local government really needs to look at getting a Airport Director that knows what the H*ll he/she is doing time for Jerry to GO

Usair might want to reconsider contracting out such vitale functions during inclement weather .

I'm in favor of contracting out city official and corporate management positions.

Just think how much money we could save!

Reactions: 4 people
I'm in favor of contracting out city official and corporate management positions.

Just think how much money we could save!

Just curious, are you positive the city is in charge of ordering the glycol?

And pretty sure it was more than just the last bank cancel. Think they start cancelling at about 7pm...

News is reporting that a new delivery came in.......but still very quiet at 9:00am in clt...

Regardless of any finger pointing that may take place, there is enough blame to go around. The folks in Tempe need to remember the saying, "The buck stops here." The responsibility of airline management to insure that whoever happens to be deicing your aircraft has the proper tools to do the job. If anyone was paying attention it should have come as no surprise that they were going to run out at some point. It should have been known by the airlines early enough to have a plan B in place. I know the weather is not a constant, however they do have a known amount of planes going through in a day. If they based it on worst case forecasted conditions they should know roughly how much fluid would be needed. I certainly hope they did not just pull a truck up to the plane and said "hey, I think we are out of fluid." I am sure that this stuff is expensive to have hanging around. We also know that Charlotte is not New York in terms of winter weather. That being said there seems to be a level of incompetence when it comes to being prepared at US. Just when you think they are getting a handle on things something else hits you from left field. It may turn out in the end that the deicing company was not even keeping track of their fluid supply. But, it is still a shared responsibility to make sure everyone is on the same page with the duties and responsibilities on both sides.

Just curious, are you positive the city is in charge of ordering the glycol?

And pretty sure it was more than just the last bank cancel. Think they start cancelling at about 7pm...

News is reporting that a new delivery came in.......but still very quiet at 9:00am in clt...
http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Airport/AboutCLT/Documents/AAC%20Minutes/2010%20AAC%20Minutes/September%202%202010%20Minutes%20From%20AAC.pdf

Note that Drew Riolo, a pilot for US, is the chairperson of the board.

Agreed, I thought most stations figured what their yearly base amount of fluid requirements of the season are. At that point they would place their order. Now whether the full season worth of glycol is delivered at one time, or throughout the season, I'm not sure.

Either way, I can't imagine one full day of deicing would deplete the majority of the supplies. Someone has screwed up.

Now getting word that CLT still hasn't gotten any more fluid, and what was left is just about gone. A few departures have happened but mostly cancellations all morning.

How much is this costing??? Guess it's still warm and dry in the desert?

Yup, looks like it was the contractors responsiblity, IE the people the airlines and airport selected to run the deice operation. They bought all remaining stock of US and PDT glycol.

In the name of cheap, US agrees to contract out to the city the deicing operation (as the city put it they would not make a profit, ya right) and then US probably goes hands off and says, not our problem

Yup, looks like it was the contractors responsiblity, IE the people the airlines and airport selected to run the deice operation. They bought all remaining stock of US and PDT glycol.

In the name of cheap, US agrees to contract out to the city the deicing operation (as the city put it they would not make a profit, ya right) and then US probably goes hands off and says, not our problem

Incompetence can be outsourced.

Seems the problems continue. PSA f/a's leaving airport saying scheduling told them just to go home, everyone......hahaha

Where's that truck of glycol that was rumored last night??? OH probably a Teamster driver that refused to traverse the slippery roads of NC......

And to top it all off, US is calling this problem a Winter storm problem, Hence no compensation to passengers???? When in reality, the weather was not that bad, could have flown no problem through it.

The issue was someone incompetence caused this snafu. They should have to pay for the pax etc.....

And to top it all off, US is calling this problem a Winter storm problem, Hence no compensation to passengers???? When in reality, the weather was not that bad, could have flown no problem through it.

The issue was someone incompetence caused this snafu. They should have to pay for the pax etc.....
As much as I do blame Jerry Orr and airline management for MANY, MANY snafus, how is this not a winter storm problem? Granted, the two go hand-in-hand (ice and the need for glycol), but if there had been no snow and freezing rain, there would have been no need for deicing procedures. I'll give the airline a pass on its choice of words this time. I can't even get my car down my street to go to the store--and that was after "de-icing" my car just to gain access to its interior.

Local station WSOC just announced that all inbds. are cxld due to gate conditions :rolleyes:

Any more info ?

complete nonsense the ramps are fine. the guys that stayed and worked on them overnight did a really good job. just couple slick spots here and there.

the problem is the lack of glycol and the ineptness of the airport director. Can't blame US for this its all on the city this time. to bad US can't fine or with hold landing fees

from the airport for not living up to the end of the agreement

complete nonsense the ramps are fine. the guys that stayed and worked on them overnight did a really good job. just couple slick spots here and there.

the problem is the lack of glycol and the ineptness of the airport director. Can't blame US for this its all on the city this time. to bad US can't fine or with hold landing fees

from the airport for not living up to the end of the agreement

Maybe we should outsource our healthcare to the government...oh I forgot! This always happens when the government is involved, there is no incentive for them to get it right. As bad as airlines are at operations, they do have a profit/loss motive with government oversite. There is no remedy available when the government gets it wrong. I suspect the new "passenger bill of rights" law had something to do with all inbounds being cancelled today. News reports say the TSA was unable to open the A security point in CLT as no-one showed for work. I drove my wife to work this morning in freezing rain over snow as she works at a private company, no excuses. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/11/1969454/roads-a-mess-flight-delays-increase.html