CLT deicing

here's one for ya . Another one of Jerry's IGNORANT answer.. when asked about the fluid he said. "We normal use 50 to 100 gallons of glycol per a/c" but yesterday we were USING "1,000 gallons per a/c"

Gee Jerry do u think that might be a little excessive...

this was reported on wsoc channel 9. He is an embarrassment as a spokes person he just says ignorant things . He should be removed from his position. It's no secret that he HATES US has ever since they bought PI
and its not surprising he would try and pin this on "ramp conditions" to cover his inept management

Each Tanker Truck holds 9,000 gallons, I doubt 81,000 gallons is only good for 20 planes.

Um yeah, especially when you consider that it will be mixed roughly 50/50 with water.

here's one for ya . Another one of Jerry's IGNORANT answer.. when asked about the fluid he said. "We normal use 50 to 100 gallons of glycol per a/c" but yesterday we were USING "1,000 gallons per a/c"

Maybe juuuust a little... :rolleyes:

They probably used 1,000 gallons on my ice encapsulated airplane today. (2 trucks spraying for 36 minutes)

I flew out of CLT and watched a 1 1/2 truck operation attempt to unsheath an ice encrusted DL 738 for over an hour (that's as long as I watched - could have been longer than that)... but in the process they blocked the entire DL ramp and screwed up the entire DL operation.

US was operating a fraction of its operation but at least was deicing on taxiways far from the gates and ramps.

Do you think the customers waiting on US Airways flights at, and to, the Charlotte Airport are cursing Contego Systems, LLC?
Team Tempe chose to outsource this integral part of their operation. This is not like fueling airplanes, with a fairly predictable flow of product. This is an operational factor that cannot be predicted. It is an area that has to be covered 300% plus to to the variable nature of weather. The cost is minimal to be overprotected versus the cost of running out. No airline should ever run out of this product due to one storm. This brings front and center the reason why Parker should not be running an airline. I guarantee he would never run out of a different product found in his home,a and golf club. It is all about priorities. Team Tempe. Large, and in charge.......

Reactions: 3 people
Each Tanker Truck holds 9,000 gallons, I doubt 81,000 gallons is only good for 20 planes.

They weren't meaning tanker trucks, they were meaning deice trucks. And each deice truck runs about 2000 gallons a piece. close to 1600 gallons. So at about 100 -150 gal each plane, that would be 10 planes....

Is this normal winter weather for CLT? It doesn't seem like a place where you'd be deicing one plane for over an hour, but maybe I'm wrong.

They weren't meaning tanker trucks, they were meaning deice trucks. And each deice truck runs about 2000 gallons a piece. close to 1600 gallons. So at about 100 -150 gal each plane, that would be 10 planes....
The post I replied to was more deicing fluid was on the way.

The post you replied to was mine, stating 9 trucks were on the way, with each truck good for about 10-12 airplanes.

You scoffed at a tanker truck with 9k gallons was only good for 10 airplanes, especially when mixed 50/50.

Well I was meaning deice trucks, not tanker trucks. I think I'd give you 100.00 if you could find 81k gallons of glycol available at a decent price on a moments notice. Most of the glycol stores are ordered mid/late summer.

In addition, the fluid is not always mixed 50/50. In fact it was probably type IV that they ran out of, as the deice trucks that US has, holds 1600gal of type I and 400 gallons of type IV.

INteresting to note. the new trucks will hold 1800 type I and 300 type IV.

Either way, most of the time when the precip is falling, most places put on 100%type IV....

Is this normal winter weather for CLT? It doesn't seem like a place where you'd be deicing one plane for over an hour, but maybe I'm wrong.
The area does get a few days of freezing rain per year. This event had freezing rain, freezing drizzle and snow for a day and a half. The aircraft that were stranded a couple days had 8-10mm of solid ice covering the entire airplane.

and its not surprising he would try and pin this on "ramp conditions" to cover his inept management

Without a doubt he is an ahole of a spokesman, as for ramp conditions, that did not factor into any delay reasons....If your talking about the mainline ramp space between the terminal and the tug road, that is US's leased space, the city does not handle that area...

Ultimately, I think that a recovery system for the fluid would behoove the Airport, the environment, and the Company. My understanding is that one is planned for the future!

Now... all we need is to get deicing back into our scope!

Reactions: 1 person
Ultimately, I think that a recovery system for the fluid would behoove the Airport, the environment, and the Company. My understanding is that one is planned for the future!

Now... all we need is to get deicing back into our scope!

Prebid coming up within 2 weeks, expanded shoulders on 5-23 with recovery system....

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts