CLT deicing

If they are using Type IV to DEICE ice-encrusted airplanes, no wonder they are running short.

Years ago the procedure for heavily iced or snowed airplanes was to use 100% hot water to remove the accumulation, then switch to the deicing fluid du jour to finish the job.

I don't know if they still allow plain hot water to start out. I don't see why not if the job is finished with a proper deicing and anti-icing coat. After all, it's not like the ice and snow doesn't turned to water during whatever process is used.

The key is getting the last spray down correctly with the proper fluid. How the accumulation gets removed doesn't matter as long as it doesn't damage the airplane.

Reactions: 1 person
I guess this explains why we had to go to de-icing for frost the other week. As a result, we were over one hour late to PHX and many pax busted their connections. It used to be frost was removed at the gate before we even arrived at the airplane for the first flight of the day. "Sorry you missed your flight." Not my decision...I just go with the flow. It sucks people are continuing to lose their jobs as a result of more outsourcing. :(

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10946710/1/10-management-tips-from-us-airways-hub.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN
Pope directly oversees 2,000 who work in the airport. Additionally, as the airline's highest ranking Charlotte official, she is the face of US Airways in Charlotte.
Said Pope: "I don't think there's an intimidating bone in my body. Why would you need to intimidate anyone to get what you want?" Pope has fired dozens of people, she acknowledges, for violations including stealing, lack of attendance and disciplinary failings. Each one, she said, "is a failure on my part."
Pope "allows us to run our departments like we are running our own businesses," said Rich Ashlin, director of customer service. "She stands at a distance, but she is there as a resource.
Said Pope: "It's up to them to sell their ideas to me. If they do that successfully, we go with it."

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10946710/1/10-management-tips-from-us-airways-hub.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN
Pope directly oversees 2,000 who work in the airport. Additionally, as the airline's highest ranking Charlotte official, she is the face of US Airways in Charlotte.
Said Pope: "I don't think there's an intimidating bone in my body. Why would you need to intimidate anyone to get what you want?" Pope has fired dozens of people, she acknowledges, for violations including stealing, lack of attendance and disciplinary failings. Each one, she said, "is a failure on my part."
Pope "allows us to run our departments like we are running our own businesses," said Rich Ashlin, director of customer service. "She stands at a distance, but she is there as a resource.
Said Pope: "It's up to them to sell their ideas to me. If they do that successfully, we go with it."

Aside from embracing technology...or in our case the lack thereof... this company doesn't embrace or adhere to any one of the ten points Ms. Pope listed as effective management.

Or am I missing something? Getting stranded in the direct path of a major blizzard 2 days before it even hit - then another day after it hit because CLT ran out of deicing fluid is unacceptable even by AWA standards.

I'm not sure if ATL had any problems w/ deicing fluid but I can tell you that the city of Charlotte/NC DOT did a whole lot better job w/ this storm than the city of Atlanta/State of Georgia did.
ATL (airport) actually did a pretty good job compared w/ the world outside of the airport.

The key is getting the last spray down correctly with the proper fluid. How the accumulation gets removed doesn't matter as long as it doesn't damage the airplane.
Well, they released the 737 in front of me with ice adhering to the engine nacelles and empanage. A passenger saw the ice on the engines and notified a flight attendant so the crew returned to the 2 hr de-ice cue to do it again.

Latest posts