Company Lies Again

openview said:
All very true and good examples. But it takes money. Considerable money. And USAir doesn't have it at the moment. I say expenditures in IT areas, unless critical, cease.
This is one area that U is flawed. (one among a whole bunch...)

One can come at it from this perspective: IT shouldnt be IT for U -- it should be more of a sales branch. Not spending money on IT (i.e. website / in-flight internet offering) is like not spending money proper scheduling or severly understaffing the reservation department. Sure, you could get away with it but your losing money every second of every day.

Sabre is a different story... If the rest of the IT world was like that, I would be typing this on a green and black screen. (or sitting here for 15 min trying to figure out how to)

No wait, I wouldnt be... this wouldnt exist.

Not spending money on IT (i.e. website / in-flight internet offering) is like not spending money proper scheduling

I couldn't agree more. And I meant to say I "saw" spending cease in that area. Its all part of the overall dealings, planning and health of a company. Jblue is doing it in some very innovative ways. And that is the ideal time to implement from scratch and when people are initially learning systems.

openview said:
What your quoting is only one end of it. The airline industry could leverage technology to it's advantage, but to date it hasnt.

All very true and good examples. But it takes money. Considerable money. And USAir doesn't have it at the moment. I say expenditures in IT areas, unless critical, cease.
We waste money, every single day. We throw money right out the window. We throw food, beverages and junk away every day. Ask the utility just how much trash there is. Not only that, we throw customers away everyday. We do have the means and the money to update our systems, system wide. We don't, because that gives more leverage to the employees as well as to our customers. In this day and age, we could and should be out techologing everyone. There is not reason not to, other than selfish greed and stupidity. Those at the top want to maintain their power. IF employees and customers get an edge into the cutting edge of technology, then the Management has something to really worry about. It is called "We know what you are up to, and it isn't working anymore."

We are made to look foolish, we are made to look inadequate and we are made to look irresponsible for a reason. MONEY in the big guys underwear. :shock: :angry:

We do have the means and the money to update our systems, system wide. We don't, because that gives more leverage to the employees as well as to our customers. In this day and age, we could and should be out techologing everyone. There is not reason not to, other than selfish greed and stupidity. Those at the top want to maintain their power.

Well, its not that. I'm certain USAir wants to. Could if it would. Does when it can. For many people and divisions in USAir thats exclusively what they do. Thats their function and pride and promotion. Unfortunately, in times like this they are the first to go. Skills are transferable, and often leave for more money or promotion. Then the company if left paying less to fill the job, therefore, hiring less skilled with a longer learning curve & more training involved. Or the best skilled in that area avoid the company until the health improves. Its an intangible, ever changes
investment as a whole in the company.

Openview, you give this company WAY TOO MUCH credit and I think you are being a bit naive. This company Can DO what the Hell IT wants to do. This is 2004 for crying out loud. If they are not doing their job to modernize U and bring things up to date, that is their short sightings. NOT for lack of money. Just for lack of insight and reason to do so. My god we have surely wasted enough. You put your money where your mouth is. Plain and simple. This company does not want to MAKE money, period. :angry:

This company does not want to MAKE money, period.

KT,...lol... your killing me! Every Co. wants to make money. Even this one. And every co. battles with budgets, investing, tech upgrading..etc. all during the ebb and flow of the ecomony, competition, changes, etc. If it didn't want to make money why not shut the doors yesterday or last year.

This industry is truly going thru change and a necessary re-invention. Auto industry in the 70s...Steel mills in the 80..Airlines this 90s. Its being forced to change just like those other industries. Its cyclical in nature. Costs, and salaries and benefits and rules have exceeded the capacity and its adjusting itself.

The question is will US be one of those sucessful ones and in what form...2...5..10 yrs from now...

Smartestloser:

Smartestloser asked: 'Given your stance on this issue, you wouldn't mind if Mesa pilots flew your 1st leg in the morning would you...??"

USA320pilot answers: That's not a valid question because it's comparing apples and oranges. US Airways is seeking labor contracts similar to an LCC versus a RJ operator.

See Story

The marketplace will determine what a pilot, flight attendant, mechanic, agent or other employee is worth. If a company cannot compete across-the-board than the company will fail.

In regard to the America West contract, it's not the best contract, but it's not that bad and if US Airways is successful, it will likely become the new legacy carrier standard. Will I accept it? Probably, until something comes along better for my wife and I that could occur in the not-so-distant future anyway.

In the case of the mechanics, the company has publicly said they would like to meet to discuss how the mechanics can cost effectively conduct overhaul in-house and participate in the "Transformation Plan." The IAM has said they will not meet with the company to discuss these issues and change their contract. In response, David Bronner has said the airline will move forward "with or without employees" with a clear target the IAM.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Attachments

• A320.jpg
    A320.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 77
Clue:

Clue said: "Have you considered where, say, a BOS/LGA based Bus pilot might find him/herself if the company sells the boeings (to "pain" the IAM) and replaces half of the mainline fleet with E-jets based on the great payrates AAA ALPA managed to get at MAA?"

USA320Pilot: Many times I believe your user name should be clueless because it's clear you do not understand the system, attrition, or seniority. With all due respect, as a company outsider, you should first check your information.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Attachments

• A320.jpg
    A320.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 83
QUOTE (crazyincanton @ May 17 2004, 07:28 AM)
Exactly! That's why the co. goes after alpa first. It's always the easiest pickings.

Its amazing what money will make people do.

Correct me if I am wrong, but... A highly specialized, $150,000 or so job is kinda hard to come by in a industry in a downturn.

Sure, you could go work for Southwest or JetBlue, but do they pay $150,000?

I can see the rational for dealing with the devil.

YES they do

I know nobody gives a fat frog's butt about reservations, but if you want the Twilight Zone, look no further. Our computers don't even HAVE a CD drive, we're running Windows 95 and using dot matrix printers. We cannot pull up a USAirways.com reservation by locator because our systems are "incompatible." The DM Service Center is on a different systems as well and they are not open on weekends.

SABRE CAN do some awesome things, but since we have the "Pic n Save" version, it won't do squat.

I don't believe "building a better website" is going to attract more customers. Our call volume at any given time is well over 100 calls on hold and some days as many as 210 on hold. Overtime is constant.

My question is: Wouldn't it be more cost efficient to buy newer equipment than pay me (and the rest of us) $25-$40 an hour overtime to try and make do with ancient equipment? Where is the cost savings in that?

More pay cuts equal less res agents, equal less people to answer phones, equal fewer customers, equal less crew needed, equal fewer planes and further down the hill it rolls.
Without customers, we won't need pilots and flight attendants and mechanics!
You can paint a garbage can pink, but all you're going to wind up with is a pink garbage can!

sentrido said:
What choice does the IAM have? I beleive the options were "let us farm out the work", and "let us farm out the work".I dont beleive there were any other options. The company doesnt want the IAM to do it cheaper. They dont want the IAM to do it at all. Its not about the money, it about the power. If the IAM loses, they lose most of thier bargaining power.

Its so obvious, even an airbus pilot could understand. :eek: :p :D
Just kidding...
Centrido:

FINALLY.....someone has revealed the objectives
of the company. While some of the IAM members
(700 and his buddies) may not believe it, it is actually
less expensive to send aircraft to an outside
maintenance firm to complete heavy checks than it
is to do it in house. Remember, US Airways does not
pay the salaries, medical benefits, vacation costs,
pension costs, and travel benefits for the outside
firm. That is left to the folks at MAE. THEY absorb
those costs and US Airways does not. With US
negotiating the hourly cost of conducting the
maintenance to a lower level than the total cost
by its' own employees, there is a savings that
is measurable. Amazing. Someone finally
understands that it DOES cost less to do the job
through outsourcing. Plus, once the heavy checks
are fully outsourced (which will happen), US can
cut their costs further by sending IAM workers
packing. I don't like it any more than the next
person, but it is a by-product of the current
economics in the industry. US must adapt or
go away and the Airbus farmout is one piece of
a very large puzzle that is being assembled.

SpinDoc:

Your last post and analysis is correct. However, the IAM did (and maybe they still do) have the option to negotiate a cost effective way to conduct over haul and to participate in the "Transformation Plan", but the union has elected to not discuss contract changes.

Thus, left with no other options the company has elected to move forward "with or without employees" with a visible target the IAM.

I too do not like this, but the IAM and its members are giving the company no option to lower maintenance, utility, and fleet service costs to LCC levels.

Regards,

USa320Pilot

Attachments

• A320.jpg
    A320.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 80
USA320Pilot said:
Smartestloser:

Smartestloser asked: 'Given your stance on this issue, you wouldn't mind if Mesa pilots flew your 1st leg in the morning would you...??"

USA320pilot answers: That's not a valid question because it's comparing apples and oranges. US Airways is seeking labor contracts similar to an LCC versus a RJ operator.
Huh?

STM Aerospace is a third party outfit that performs FAA regulated work that would otherwise be done by US Mechanics.

Mesa performs FAA flying that would otherwise be done by US pilots.

It's a perfectly valid question.

I've finally figured out the gist of it though: A pilot can throw the bottom half of his/her seniority list under the bus by giving away scope. A mechanic ends up throwing the bottom 80% under the bus.

Ergo, either some pilots are more apt to eat their young, or mechanics have a greater sense of solidarity.

USA320Pilot: Many times I believe your user name should be clueless because it's clear you do not understand the system, attrition, or seniority. With all due respect, as a company outsider, you should first check your information.

Are you saying that BOS/LGA are not as a general rule more junior domiciles (on the bus)? Are you implying that if the Boeing equipment were replaced that the pilots on it would not displace into the baby bus as their seniority would hold?

I'll tell you this: I'm a part of the more important groups of people that US has--the one's that buy tickets. I also happen to be in a position to know the folks who make a few parts that you use every single time you strap on the aircraft, thus giving me all sorts of interesting insight that would otherwise only be available to those with a glass to the cockpit door while Siegel/Lakefield/Wolfe is busy spilling the next plan for the IAM's destruction and other such goodies to every line pilot in sight....
:rolleyes:

USA320Pilot said:

Come out from under the hood for just a sec....Clue points to someone else doing your job. That is a valid point given a signed agreement is in affect.

Seeking contracts that of a LCC is a negotiated item.

Huge Differance.... ;)