Delta negotiating major SEA gate expansion

Glenn Quagmire said:
Did you forget about the huge Asia opertation Delta had at PDX with the L1011?
Its wasn't "huge" FWIW 

and it was MD11s not L10s. PDX-SEL, FUK, NRT

I think SEL-TPE was also a route. Ron Allen at the time wanted to create a mini hub at TPE. 

topDawg said:
Its wasn't "huge" FWIW 

I think SEL-TPE was also a route. Ron Allen at the time wanted to create a mini hub at TPE.
That was sarcasm Dawg.

And they did use the L1011 early in the life of PDX.

View attachment 10515

I think that was one of the reasons for the -250 mods by Dept 241 in 1987/1988. I may be dating myself with this ;)

Now, DL DBA NWA has found (purchased) it's way to Asia.

Glenn Quagmire said:
That was sarcasm Dawg. And they did use the L1011 early in the life of PDX. I beleive it was the NRT route.

I think that was one of the reasons for the -250 mods by Dept 241 in 1987/1988. I may be dating myself with this ;)
I know all about 241, spent plenty of time doing overhauls there. 

Now my memory is fuzzy on that but wasn't 241 just bays 1-4 and 5-9 were 242? 

anyways I don't remember the 250s going to Asia. I thought it was just 500s. 

And NRT might have started on the L10 (like the LAX-ANC-HKG route on the L15) but I am pretty sure the rest of the "hub" started on M11s. 

Glenn are you DL or NW? 

and your note dating yourself at all, I wont say when I started, but I will say your not old at all! ;) 

topDawg said:
Its wasn't "huge" FWIW 

Yes Delta was very close to opening up a TPE hub. Many were already lined up
To do TDY but the demise of "PanAm 2" and subsequent financial problems scuffled that idea.

The L1011-250s were never used on a scheduled basis west of Hawaii.

PDX was started as DL's first gateway to Asia on an L1011-500 that operated ATL-PDX-NRT which was later extended to ICN (SEL at the time) before the Seoul Olympics. NRT became a standalone route and SEL was extended to TPE and then BKK.

DL also considered building a HNL hub as well as TPE.

In the end, the Northwest merger provided what DL needed to Asia.

It will be very interesting to see how DL's Asia network looks in 5 years but I am certain DL will not give up its position as the largest airline between the US and Japan and if Anderson says that DL has huge plans for an Asia hub, there will be a whole lot of flights to secondary Japanese cities.

and 30 gates at SEA will be more than enough if they are used as intensively as DL uses JFK during the summer.... flights start arriving shortly after 5 and the last departures don't leave until midnight.

Once it's a great strategy - it will be very successful - it will be even better once they rationalize all their northwest flights

no, you want DL to rationalize their NW network.

DL has a larger presence to Asia from DTW than NW ever had.

NW had an int'l presence at SEA, not DL.

DL is building on NW's successes, not dismantling it.

wait - don't you want AA to rationalize it's network - how many times have you posted that

but wait DL is rationalizing its network - can you type MEM

it will only be time until the meca gets to rationalizing the network

Reactions: 2 people
I have never said that what DL did to MEM was unexpected or wrong.

I have also said that UA needed to rationalize its network.

WN has done it - mostly in ATL and certain "spoke" cities.

AA WILL rationalize its network and it will result in higher profits - WHICH IS A GREAT THING!

exactly just like DL will continue to rationalize and time will tell what is next for them to rationlize - WHICH IS A GREAT THING!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
every company has to continue to adapt to the changing market... repositioning assets.

I have NEVER argued with E's argument - which is accurate - that AA closed RDU and BNA as hubs - both of which were failures in trying to compete in the SE - and redeployed assets to MIA where AA grew dramatically.

I've also never said that US did the wrong thing in closing down a half dozen other little hubs to fortify CLT, DCA, PHL, and PHX.

in both cases, AA and US built very profitable operations in those cities from operations that lost a lot of money.

It is no different for what DL did with MEM and CVG in NYC and SEA.

And AS' ability to keep ahead of DL might be increasingly difficult....

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/11/26/delta-air-lines-inc-is-on-the-move-again-in-seattl.aspx

all quotes from article:

Delta's growth spurt

The speed of Delta's growth in Seattle has been truly stunning. At the beginning of 2014, Delta operated just 34 peak-day departures from Seattle to 15 destinations. However, Delta has since added a slew of new flights from Seattle to virtually every major city in the western U.S.

Delta now operates about 80 peak-day departures to 25 destinations from Seattle. By the end of the year, these totals will rise again to 93 departures to 32 destinations. On Wednesday, Delta announced another round of growth that will add nonstop service to five more cities next spring, plus frequency increases on seven other routes.

As a result, by next summer, Delta will offer 120 peak-day departures from Seattle (up nearly fourfold in just 18 months) to 35 destinations across three continents.

More growth ahead

This growth spurt still leaves Delta as a distant second in Seattle in terms of departure count. By next summer, Alaska Airlines will have 280 daily departures in Seattle. However, Delta is the first meaningful competitor Alaska has faced in Seattle for many years, and unlike Alaska, it offers a global route network.

Despite Alaska's strong showing so far, there is only so much a good management team can do to offset external pressures. Its stock looks fairly cheap, but Alaska Airlines is running out of cost-cutting opportunities. (That said, it will benefit from lower fuel costs if oil prices remain low next year.)

Kev3188 said:
Plenty of both in PDX at the time...
Plenty of L10s on the domestic runs for sure. ATL-PDX, LAX-PDX, SLC-PDX 

the good old days. I miss the 1011 but at least the new buses will have Rollers on them (to bad TechOps wont be working on them) 

Yes AS should shut down now - there is no way to compete or expand in SEA now that DL arrived

Everyone should start writing the BOD for AS and let them know they are toast

Reactions: 3 people