DELTA tapped out

My prediction: Look for the merger/combination/purchase by UA to be announced shortly after the DL pilots agree to gut their pay.

My prediction: Look for the merger/combination/purchase by UA to be announced shortly after the DL pilots agree to gut their pay.

The blind-leading-the-blind approach? I guess it would throw people off, that is for sure. I would give the success of such an aimless merger the same chances as I gave Indy Air's biz plan.

Watch how the "Spin Doctor" aka WT turns that article into the greatest news yet put out by DAL. Being out of barrowing power must be part of that "survive and thrive" program that is in full swing according to WT! It appears that DAL is a wounded duck and hoping for the white knight to show up. I can see it now..."Fork Lift Joe" licking his chops for more gates and whatever! I wish all of DAL employees well...Don't worry, WT has it all figured out...your going to be fine!! B) Remember your well ahead in your "thrive and survive" program. WT says your ahead of others that have entered BK with your restructuring! I can hear that top spinning up already!

This could be a game of chicken in the end. Who will blink first. just my thoughts........... is it me or are the pilots really being picked on for concessions at a lot of the airlines?

fluf,
we knew you would jump all over this. Of course DL is going to say they are the weakest carrier and their certainty is very uncertain. You make those kinds of statements when you are asking for as much as DL is asking for. ALPA is smarter than that and saw are the arbiters. Before the hearing is out, DL will have to produce financials that validate its position. DL is well on its way out of the woods and the string of fare increases the industry keeps passing helps everyone. I'm sure you'll find it amazing, but I find statements by DL execs about DL's morbid future as laughable. The only thing more laughable is a suggestion that UA would be in a position to acquire DL - or anyone else of any size.

This could be a game of chicken in the end. Who will blink first. just my thoughts........... is it me or are the pilots really being picked on for concessions at a lot of the airlines?

It's not you. The pilots have a lot more to give (no, I mean have stolen). I'm not saying it's fair.

My old boss got tired of us 'grease monkies' griping about pilot pay compared to ours and set us straight.

He told us when he is on an airplane in terrible, bumpy,nauseating, icey weather with zero visibility knowing that it could get even worse with a mechanical failure, those guys in the front seats are worth every damned red cent.

He was absolutely right.

Watch how the "Spin Doctor" aka WT turns that article into the greatest news yet put out by DAL. Being out of barrowing power must be part of that "survive and thrive" program that is in full swing according to WT! It appears that DAL is a wounded duck and hoping for the white knight to show up. I can see it now..."Fork Lift Joe" licking his chops for more gates and whatever! I wish all of DAL employees well...Don't worry, WT has it all figured out...your going to be fine!! B) Remember your well ahead in your "thrive and survive" program. WT says your ahead of others that have entered BK with your restructuring! I can hear that top spinning up already!
And what about this is so surprising? We all know that DAL mortgaged the farm for this restructuring. Obviously there is some positioning going on on both sides. My question is.. If both sides agreed to binding arbitration, any decision they make is final. Is it illegal for the pilots to strike?

fluf,
we knew you would jump all over this. Of course DL is going to say they are the weakest carrier and their certainty is very uncertain. You make those kinds of statements when you are asking for as much as DL is asking for.

It's one thing to make such statements to the press. However, the article says that Delta's CFO testified to the [Federal] arbitration panel that they are "tapped out." Are you suggesting that the CFO perjured himself before the panel? There are penalties for doing so; and, if the man made it to CFO, I don't think he is that dumb. Crazy maybe, but not dumb.

WT...I have to give you credit...you keep the sugar pouring over data. I pretty much have to agree with the article. DAL has everything mortgaged and can't borrow money from anyone, still losing 10 million a day not to mention 23 BILLION in debt! You better take the blinders off...DAL is in trouble and YOU know it!!! I really don't think the CFO would be "kidding" about this like you want to believe. WT, you probably don't believe the Titanic really sank either...it did!!

You make those kinds of statements when you are asking for as much as DL is asking for.

And you wonder why DALPA is skeptical? So really they don't need it they just want those concessions. As I said before Delta WANTS these concessions but realy doesn't NEED them. :down:

My question is.. If both sides agreed to binding arbitration, any decision they make is final. Is it illegal for the pilots to strike?

Vike,

The decision is binding, but it is not binding arbitration.
In this case, there really is no difference between the BK court and the arbitration board. Under binding arbitration, the arbitrators could impose a hybrid of either the company's request or the union's and that decision would be final with no further adjudication. The board in this case can only choose one or the other. Reject the contract or leave it alone. As such, if the board decides to reject our contract, the strike remains an option just as it would under BK proceedings. Likewise, if board decides in favor of the union, the company could go back to BK court for another 1113.

Vike,

In this case, there really is no difference between the BK court and the arbitration board. Under binding arbitration, the arbitrators could impose a hybrid of either the company's request or the union's and that decision would be final with no further adjudication. The board in this case can only choose one or the other. Reject the contract or leave it alone. As such, if the board decides to reject our contract, the strike remains an option just as it would under BK proceedings. Likewise, if board decides in favor of the union, the company could go back to BK court for another 1113.
Thanks for the clarification Luv..

fluf,
we knew you would jump all over this.
Oh please! You meant to say "I" not "we." Saying "we knew you would..." makes it sound like everyone else is on your side. NEWS FLASH -- We're not.

I happen to agree with fluf. And since many other's do as well, I guess WE knew you'd try your hardest to spin it your way.

DL is out of options as far as borrowing $, and the pilot's are rightfully standing their ground, having given as much as they did already.

Vike,

In this case, there really is no difference between the BK court and the arbitration board.
That is not entirely accurate. That is DALPA's interpretation of the agreement - one that Delta very much disagrees with.

I think it's highly unlikely DALPA will be allowed to strike if the decision goes against them. They were allowed to choose 2 of the 3 panel members. This makes it look like DALPA 'stacked the deck'. It would appear that Delta has a very strong incentive to NOT allow the decision to go into the hands of the arbitration panel when you consider this disadvantage. Should it come down to a vote and DALPA were to have their own hand-picked representatives vote against them, then how does it look when they go ahead and strike?

IMHO convincing a judge to not issue an injunction in this case would be extremely difficult. Tt would appear that DALPA was not negotiating in good faith when you consider the advantages Delta let them have.