DL expands SEA further with SEA-SFO flights

Status
Not open for further replies.
WorldTraveler said:
and AS throws in the towel on ATL-PDX and a few others including LAX-SJC which DL has entered.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/04/01/as-s14cxld/
Throwing in the towel, or is this perhaps an indicator of AS and AA expanding their codesharing?

OAG now shows the AS code on all 6 of AA's LAX-SJC flights for the fall schedule. They also show it on all of DL's flights, but that could always change.

• Banned
AA isn't flying ATL-PDX so it is a reduction of service.

AS duplicates the AA and DL code on many flights.

DL has asked for DOT approval for several new Pacific Mexican resort routes - prime markets for AS.

• Banned
because there is no evidence that AA stands to gain anything despite AS' cutbacks? or because it really is becoming obvious that DL is succeeding at what it set out to do and AS is the one who realizes they have to start getting rid of routes that don't work?

Not sure what you want for evidence, but AA's SVP of Alliances is now on record as saying they're "in discussions with Alaska about other areas of deeper cooperation."

http://crankyflier.com/2014/03/31/across-the-aisle-from-americans-alliance-boss-on-growing-oneworld-the-future-of-the-alaska-partnership-and-more/

Perhaps if you understood how fiercely loyal AS's elites are to their airline, maybe you'd understand why DL's actions aren't being seen in nearly the same light in SEA as they are by you or other DL loyalists.

The more DL alienates AS, the more AA stands to gain. And DL doesn't seem to be slowing down their assault.

WorldTraveler said:

sorry, but DL's profit in 2013 was indeed an industry high... that is not my opinion....

Delta Air Lines’ $2.7 billion profit for 2013 was not just a record for the company, but also a record for all airlines, according to a key industry publication.
The Atlanta-based carrier’s results announced Tuesday were the highest net profit in airline history, according to Airline Weekly, which confirmed the fact in its financial archives. The publication’s records cover the world’s publicly-traded airlines and other carriers that publish audited financial statements.
According to Airline Weekly, the previous record was German carrier Lufthansa’s 2007 profit of $2.6 billion, or $1.8 billion excluding special items. By either measure, Delta’s annual profit of $2.7 billion excluding special items beat the previous industry record — reinforcing Delta’s recovery since it emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection nearly seven years ago.

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/deltas-2013-profit-an-industry-record/ncx8X/

Regarding LAX, again, let's read carefully what I wrote, not what you or others want to think I said.... the tense of verbs matters.

Based on DL's current growth rate at LAX alongside that of other airlines if continued for even one more year, DL would overtake AA and UA in size at LAX based on seats offered.

Obviously, actual results will not be known for close to another year for the schedules that will be flown this summer AND it is not certain that the rate of growth for DL or other airlines will be the same.

The point is that DL is indeed capable of reaching its strategic goals within the constraints DL has.  DL made clear that one of its primary goals in 2014 was to 
We have heard the "DL can't grow at LAX and SEA because of facility constraints" for months, if not years and yet DL with a smaller facility is indeed within single digits in size of its largest competitors.  At SEA, DL has indeed added enough flights to be about 1/3 of the size of AS even though AS has a much larger facility to work with.increase its presence on the west coast.  Even though many people want to talk about DL's buildups and pulldowns on the west coast in the past, my contention has long been and DL is validating that its focus for the past 20 years has been on strengthening and growing its presence in key east coast markets.  Now, DL is comfortable enough with where it is on the east coast that it can slow its overall growth rate in the east and shift its larger growth focus to the west coast. 
Based on what DL has accomplished in NYC and in defending its own hubs from other competitors (DL has the highest percentage of local market share in each of its large hubs compared to AA and UA), DL is very well-positioned for becoming a much more west coast focused airline while still preserving its position in the eastern US.

DL's remaining strategic growth areas are the southwest/south central US where the 717s are clearly being set up to grow in that region including to the west coast and from MIA-Latin America.  You can fully expect that as DL succeeds on the west coast (and there will be new int'l flights coming to support/be supported by DL's domestic growth), the focus will shift to the remaining major strategic growth area which is MIA-Latin America. 

Ugh. I don't think anyone has said that. You just come up with some bat #### crazy pilot rumor that Delta is going to get 30 gates in SEA.....I'm sorry you can't read a map WT, really I am. 

Also MIA growth? Gah.....You have no idea what your talking about do you? 
I'll put 100 bucks on it. 

Oh PS, speaking of stupid things you have said, I see all the 737-700s are in the fleet......why? Didn't we make a bet on that too? 

for those that really want to know what Delta is doing in SEA, they are going to get the US gates(Us moving to D with AA) on A. Delta also has use of a handful(3 I think) gates on B. IIRC they plan on getting 5 on A. Also SEA is going to add FIS to A to relieve a little pressure on S. 

commavia said:
JAL's doomed, American's doomed, Alaska's doomed.  It sure must get tiring in ATL having to go into work each day and decide which competitor to put out of business next!
While true......

Lets not act like the same crap happens with you AA guys. 

• Banned
how many years do you have at DL, dawg?

If it is more than about 5, I'll beat you that DL will be flying MIA to Latin America before you leave.

I don't believe we bet that the 737-700s would go but rather than I said they could be a part of a deal to get the 717s.

Since WN gave, and I do mean gave, them to DL without throwing in the 73Gs, they are still here - and the 319s are indeed being configured for more longhaul domestic/Latin flying.

topdawg   how many gates is delta getting that used to be US gates  and when is that suppose to happen?

WorldTraveler said:
how many years do you have at DL, dawg?

If it is more than about 5, I'll beat you that DL will be flying MIA to Latin America before you leave.

I don't believe we bet that the 737-700s would go but rather than I said they could be a part of a deal to get the 717s.

Since WN gave, and I do mean gave, them to DL without throwing in the 73Gs, they are still here - and the 319s are indeed being configured for more longhaul domestic/Latin flying.
Where does DL send the 73Gs nowadays?

Josh

• Banned
ATL and/or JFK to BOG, EYW, MEX, PLS, TGU, UIO, and some domestic routes thrown in as well.

BTW, this summer, ATL-MEX is up to 6 times per day which is the highest I have ever seen - mix of -700s and 800s.

• Banned
LGA-EYW on select days. the majority of the Latin cities are served from ATL but not necessarily JFK. LGA does not see much of the -700

WorldTraveler said:
ATL and/or JFK to BOG, EYW, MEX, PLS, TGU, UIO, and some domestic routes thrown in as well.

BTW, this summer, ATL-MEX is up to 6 times per day which is the highest I have ever seen - mix of -700s and 800s.
Thanks, wow that is a lot of capacity. I wish AM would come back to BOS-MEX.

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back