DL/NW F/A Integration What is your guess?

For the life of me I can never figure out how anyone can feel that they deserve super seniority. DOH is the only fair and equitable way of merging 2 seniority lists whether you are a ramper or a pilot and every job in between. If you are doing the same job function then you are the same position. Period! Pilots do need a fence to ward off the huge training costs involved in switching aircraft for them. But everyone else it should always be DOH. Delta people have to realize that NW is merging with DL, it is not being bought out. No money is being exchanged. Its like a marriage...each party is bringing something to the table. Maybe the groom is larger and fatter but the bride still is just as important otherwise there would be no marriage!

For the life of me I can never figure out how anyone can feel that they deserve super seniority. DOH is the only fair and equitable way of merging 2 seniority lists whether you are a ramper or a pilot and every job in between. If you are doing the same job function then you are the same position. Period! Pilots do need a fence to ward off the huge training costs involved in switching aircraft for them. But everyone else it should always be DOH. Delta people have to realize that NW is merging with DL, it is not being bought out. No money is being exchanged. Its like a marriage...each party is bringing something to the table. Maybe the groom is larger and fatter but the bride still is just as important otherwise there would be no marriage!

OK, here's my "pop psychology" on this phenomena:

As far as Delta FAs are concerned, I think some of this attitude of doing better than DOH is a reflection of the following things:

1. Delta doesn't really foster unity among or, I should say, between employees. What I mean by that is they DO foster Teamwork and, for the most part, Delta employees work very hard, do their best to get a long and are professionals. But if they start uniting amongst each other without the company being involved, then you know what that could lead to U N ___. So in the long run, this can lead to looking out for YOUR best interests at Delta, not necessarily of a group's interest as a whole.

2. Due to the enormous International expansion of late, many FAs in the bases that have been most affected by the growth (ATL and NYC) feel very protective about their seniority. Many of the junior ones (and 10 years is junior as a FA now at most legacy carriers) are flying trips that they NEVER would have flown even 3+ years ago. So, what happens is...you get used to your new and improved seniority and your expectations become more solidified. A sense of entitlement comes into play.

3. You are in the midst of a union drive/vote and your company is doing everything it can to make sure you vote "NO"/not vote...telling you the other airline is more senior, we will "protect" you , don't worry, even if it goes to an arbitrator, trust us...DL FAs will win out.

You combine numbers 1, 2, and 3 above, together with the fact that you're with the larger carrier(DL) and if you have had no experience in the give-take world of airline mergers (no DL FA under 17 years has been involved in one unless they recently joined from another carrier), you're going to wish/push for something better than DOH.

Hey Luke I believe what you say to be true...its just not gonna hold water when an arbitrator looks at it. An arbitraitor is going to see the history of mergers and the relative seniority of the 2 groups. When NW merged with Republic ( a much smaller airline) DOH was the yardstick used for the integration of the two groups, thus creating a history of what was done in the past. If DL F/As do not vote in AFA than what Danny Campbell said could easily happen and junior NW F/As could displace more senior DL F/As to keep their seniority relative to the whole group. For example a 30 year F/A at NW is probably in the top 15% but at DL 30 years would only get you 18%. An arbitraitor could decide fairly that the NW F/A should keep his relative position on the seniority list and bump the DL F/As back. To ensure your true seniority vote in AFA and then your DOH is the only denominator used.

Back