DL/NW F/A Integration What is your guess?

There is no requirement under the law for an arbitrator to favor a represented group over a non-represented group. Or, to follow this group's CBA vs. that group's CBA.

What the McCaskill amendment (it is not a separate law. It was tacked on to an appropriations bill IIRC) says is that the two groups must negotiate a "fair and equitable" integration of the groups. If the groups are unable to reach an agreement, the matter will be submitted to binding arbitration. There is nothing in the amendment which specifies what the arbitrator must do. In fact, it is possible, not probable, but possible (and legal) for the arbitrator to render a binding decision which staples one group below the other. There are always risks for both sides when submitted to arbitration.

Hi Danny,
I hope you dont mind continuing this dialogue.

Now you are saying in arbitration that the arbitrator will by law favor NWA because you have a contract and the fact that DAL doesnt the arbitrator has no obligation to consider DL f/a's?

Also how do you come to know that DL f/a's are more senior than NW f/a's? We are offering an early retirement as we speak which could change everything, and I'm just not sure that even without early retirements DAL f/a's are more senior. How would one find this out?

Cooper:
Danny posted this seniority breakdown of NW FAs the other day, maybe this will help:

NWA SENIORITY - as of February 2008

NWA F/As Dates of Hire
Seniority # (year thru Year)

0001 - 1000 Date of hire 1951 - 1978
1001 - 2000 Date of hire 1978 - 1985
2001 - 3000 Date of hire 1985 - 1988
3001 - 4000 Date of hire 1988 - 1990 (March 90)
4001 - 5000 Date of hire 1990 - 1992 (June 92)
5001 - 6000 Date of hire 1992 - 1997
6001 - 7000 Date of hire 1997 - 2001 (June '01)
7001 - 8000 Date of hire 2001 - Present (NWA has hired nearly 1,000 FAs since 2007)

For me, I am at approx.16% of NWA's FA group. At DL, I fall at approx 25%.
So my relative seniority is better at NWA than DL. Henceforth, you could conclude FOR ME, DL's FA group is more senior.
Now, it may be different at your seniority level; I don't know.
As far as the early outs--at first most senior people in my base said basically 'no thanks' because of only 3 months of insurance coverage. Since the merger was announced last week, a couple I have talked to said they 'might' take it because they don't want to go thru another merger and all it entails. So who knows what's going to happen! We are definitely in a limbo, wait-and-see time right now. We will know more soon.But remember, the company, does not reveal or release a list of who takes the early out. (I remember being told that 2 years ago from the Supervisor..I think he said because of Privacy Laws). So it takes some real 'sleuthing' to get a grasp on it until they resequence the seniority numbers.

cooper43:

It was really easy for me to make the determination that you have a more senior group. In our AFA database, we have the date-of-hire for all Delta FAs. When Delta submitted the eligibility roster to us, we reconciled it with the database, then I downloaded your list in EXCEL - sorted it by date-of-hire and laid it side-by side with our seniority list. There is a 10 - 20% differencial throughout the entire list. So, it would be reasonable to say that to make the list the MOST "fair and equitable", our seniority numbers should be INCREASED by 15% over the Delta FAs.

THAT'S why date-of-hire works the best for you.

cooper43:

It was really easy for me to make the determination that you have a more senior group. In our AFA database, we have the date-of-hire for all Delta FAs. When Delta submitted the eligibility roster to us, we reconciled it with the database, then I downloaded your list in EXCEL - sorted it by date-of-hire and laid it side-by side with our seniority list. There is a 10 - 20% differencial throughout the entire list. So, it would be reasonable to say that to make the list the MOST "fair and equitable", our seniority numbers should be INCREASED by 15% over the Delta FAs.

THAT'S why date-of-hire works the best for you.
While it may work for those at the top of the list, both groups have a wide range of seniority. Today a 10 year ATL/NYC F/A is holding an international line (a good one at that), you throw 6000 F/A's on top of them and those days are gone. At some point people WILL begin to transfer as now they will have other options to fly and the commute will be the same or even better. As I mentioned on another thread, an arbitrator will also look at the career expectations of both group as what each entity is bringing to the combined company. NW as approximately 50 intl widebodies while DL has 90. NW is strong in the Pacific with only 5 European destinations, DL has 3 Pacific destinations, a strong European network. is growing in Africa, and a strong Latin/South American network. You are interpretting a date of hire method saying that your numbers should be increased by 15% to make it fair. If DL is the larger of the 2 it stands to reason that DL will have the larger work group, and if a 10yr DL F/A is holding a particular bid is it fair or equitable that a NW F/A who would never have had the opportunity to fly Europe, Africa, or South America be able to outbid a DL F/A. There is a bigger picture than just a seniority date as it is used with date of hire. The excel spreadsheat you refer to is just a spreadsheat it does not take any other variable into consideration.

Jake:

No matter how you slice it, there are going to be FAs in the merger that end up AHEAD of others. For some reason, you are looking in the WRONG direction on the seniority list. You are looking at who goes AHEAD OF YOU, instead of who is also going BEHIND you. In a seniority integration, you have to look at the RELATIVE placement. So, for example, on the NWA list, I am in the top 50%....but if I was at Delta, I would be in the bottom 40%. On the combined list, I would have MORE FAs ahead of me from Delta with DOH. However, if we get a ratio-ranking (with a 15% differencial), I will move UP our combined list even more.

Ok -- Fine by me -- I think we have exhausted this discussion. See you in arbitration <wink>

Warmly,

Danny

While it may work for those at the top of the list, both groups have a wide range of seniority. Today a 10 year ATL/NYC F/A is holding an international line (a good one at that), you throw 6000 F/A's on top of them and those days are gone. At some point people WILL begin to transfer as now they will have other options to fly and the commute will be the same or even better. As I mentioned on another thread, an arbitrator will also look at the career expectations of both group as what each entity is bringing to the combined company. NW as approximately 50 intl widebodies while DL has 90. NW is strong in the Pacific with only 5 European destinations, DL has 3 Pacific destinations, a strong European network. is growing in Africa, and a strong Latin/South American network. You are interpretting a date of hire method saying that your numbers should be increased by 15% to make it fair. If DL is the larger of the 2 it stands to reason that DL will have the larger work group, and if a 10yr DL F/A is holding a particular bid is it fair or equitable that a NW F/A who would never have had the opportunity to fly Europe, Africa, or South America be able to outbid a DL F/A. There is a bigger picture than just a seniority date as it is used with date of hire. The excel spreadsheat you refer to is just a spreadsheat it does not take any other variable into consideration.

Jake, I think you make the most valid point here as I've made in a previous post as well. The career expectation for Delta flight attendants is much different than that of one at NWA. We've got F/A's holding international out of NYC with as little as 8 years in seniority and that is likely to go down even further this summer with additional routes out of NYC and with several new additions in Atlanta it will go down as well. This will be a key ingredient in arbitration that would not be taken into consideration at all with AFA. I read about who was holding what in Atlanta and I think 1996 seniority can hold the B position on some international routes which is pretty remarkable in Atlanta and that was for April. If we go through arbitration we have the "career expectation" advantage on Delta's side. As far as I'm concerned, NWA can keep all of they flying they have and we should keep all of the flying that we have; we have so much more to choose from and I don't want to see that go away. I wish they'd just keep the flight attendants separate, perhaps if the NWA pilots keep their fight up, the merger won't go through!!

Jake, I think you make the most valid point here as I've made in a previous post as well. The career expectation for Delta flight attendants is much different than that of one at NWA. We've got F/A's holding international out of NYC with as little as 8 years in seniority and that is likely to go down even further this summer with additional routes out of NYC and with several new additions in Atlanta it will go down as well. This will be a key ingredient in arbitration that would not be taken into consideration at all with AFA. I read about who was holding what in Atlanta and I think 1996 seniority can hold the B position on some international routes which is pretty remarkable in Atlanta and that was for April. If we go through arbitration we have the "career expectation" advantage on Delta's side. As far as I'm concerned, NWA can keep all of they flying they have and we should keep all of the flying that we have; we have so much more to choose from and I don't want to see that go away. I wish they'd just keep the flight attendants separate, perhaps if the NWA pilots keep their fight up, the merger won't go through!!

Actually, you should be careful what you wish for. As much as you cheer on Delta's anti-union message, you don't seem to be embracing what Richard has been saying regarding the merger and the necessity for it. The article below states that U.S. airlines are in their rockiest times since right after 9/11..oil is at $115, we're headed into a recession, the credit markets are seized up. According to another article I read, Delta has enough cash on hand to last them until approx. the end of 2009 and then what?
I think you guys need to realize that if things don't turn around soon and if this merger doesn't go thru or doesn't work (and hopefully it will), what trips you're holding will be the least of your worries (esp at low seniorities).
I also get the feeling that you and Jake are under 15 years and have never been thru a merger before. Guess what? It's like life...parts of it are good and parts of it can suck. Believe me, if you're going into it with the kind of attitude I'm reading, it won't be good..not for you, not for your fellow FAs who come over from NWA and not for our passengers who can feel that animosity between crewmembers. And I can attest to it. I've been there. I've also been in a base where flying that came in as part of an aquisition/merger disappeared, but the other airline's FAs did not and they began to outbid me on domestic flights. There are all kinds of scenarios. You have to keep an open mind and be flexible.
I believe I'm hearing a little self-centerdness coming out in your posts. I suggest perhaps you might think about being a little more open-minded and open-hearted, not to mention realistic, ok?

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/Troub...the-air/299853/

Career expectations? Do you think there is an arbitrator that is going to say that Delta FAs somehow have more career expectations than NWA FAs? Also, remember, arbitrators get "paid" from revenue that comes from resolving CONTRACT DISPUTES between airlines and 'unions'. AFA is the largest FA union in the world and there is no union at Delta to get angry at the arbitrator. I know you want to desperately believe that the non-contract status will play an equal part - but I differ. Setting that aside, I think the "career expectation" argument is senseless.

Our most popular and senior trips at NWA are the DTW-Tokyo, DTW-Osaka, DTW-Nagoya trips. Equally popular are the South Trips (to ALL the destinations in the Pacific Rim). We will also have the second largest base in all of the Delta-Northwest system, with several daily non-stops to AMS and daily flights to Paris, London, Frankfurt, Rome and 6 day AMS-BOM trips. In addition to that we have the MOST extensive domestic route structure in the NWA system; http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/Northw...lines_DTW.shtml

Are you saying that our most senior FAs don't have a valid "career expectation" to retain their bidding seniority? If you think NWA FAs flying out of DTW would want to transfer to NY (unless they live there, which few do), you aren't understanding our DTW base very well....

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/Northw...a_pacific.shtml

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/Northw...ope_india.shtml

Career expectations? Do you think there is an arbitrator that is going to say that Delta FAs somehow have more career expectations than NWA FAs? Also, remember, arbitrators get "paid" from revenue that comes from resolving CONTRACT DISPUTES between airlines and 'unions'. AFA is the largest FA union in the world and there is no union at Delta to get angry at the arbitrator. I know you want to desperately believe that the non-contract status will play an equal part - but I differ. Setting that aside, I think the "career expectation" argument is senseless.

Our most popular and senior trips at NWA are the DTW-Tokyo, DTW-Osaka, DTW-Nagoya trips. Equally popular are the South Trips (to ALL the destinations in the Pacific Rim). We will also have the second largest base in all of the Delta-Northwest system, with several daily non-stops to AMS and daily flights to Paris, London, Frankfurt, Rome and 6 day AMS-BOM trips. In addition to that we have the MOST extensive domestic route structure in the NWA system; http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/Northw...lines_DTW.shtml

Are you saying that our most senior FAs don't have a valid "career expectation" to retain their bidding seniority? If you think NWA FAs flying out of DTW would want to transfer to NY (unless they live there, which few do), you aren't understanding our DTW base very well....

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/Northw...a_pacific.shtml

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/Northw...ope_india.shtml

Okay, let's take a look at just the international that Delta flies out of Atlanta:

EUROPE:

1. Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS)
2. Barcelona, Spain (BCN)
3. Brussels, Belgium (BRU)
4. Bucharest, Romania (OTP)
5. Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH)
6. Dakar, Senegal (DKR)
7. Dubai (DBX)
8. Dublin, Ireland (DUB)
9. Düsseldorf, Germany (DUS)
10. Frankfurt. Germany (FRA)
11. Johannesburg, South Africa (JNB)
12. London, England
Gatwick (LGW)
Heathrow (HTR)
13. Madrid, Spain (MAD)
14. Manchester, England (MHT)
15. Milan, Italy (MIL)
16. Moscow, Russia (SVO)
17. Munich, Germany (MUC)
18. Paris, France (CDG)
19. Prague, Czech Republic (PRG)
20. Rome, Italy (FCO)
21. Stuttgart, Germany (STR)
22. Tel Aviv, Israel (TLV)
23. Venice, Italy (VCE)
24. Vienna, Austria (VIE)
25. Zurich, Switzerland (ZRH)
26. Lagos, Nigeria (LOS)
27. Edinburgh, Scotland
28. Stockholm, Sweden (eff. June, 2008)
29. Shannon, Ireland

ASIA:

1. Seoul, Korea (ICN)
2. Tokyo, Japan (NRT)
3. Shanghai, China

MEXICO:

1. Acapulco (ACA)
2. Cancun (CUN)
3. Cozumel (CZM)
4. Guadalajara (GDL)
5. Los Cabos (SJD)
6. Mexico City (MEX)
7. Puerto Vallarta (PVR)

CARRIBEAN: (25 Cities)

1. Antigua (ANU)
2. Aruba (AUA)
3. Belize City, Belize (BZE)
4. Barbados (BDG)
5. Curacao (CUR)
6. Martinique (FDE)
7. Bahamas
Georgetown (GGT)
Grand Bahama (FPO)
Nassau (NAS)
8. Bermuda (BDA)
9. Dominican Republic:
Puerto Plata (POP)
Punta Cana (PUJ)
Santo Domingo (SDQ)
10. Grand Cayman (GCM)
11. Jamaica
Kingston (KIN)
Montego Bay (MBJ)
12. San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)
13. Trinidad & Tobago
Port of Spain (POS)
Tabago (TAB)
14. Turks & Caicos (PLS)
15. St. Kitts (SKB)
16. St. Lucia (UVF)
17. St. Maarten (SXM)
18. St. Thomas (STT)
19. Pointe A Pitre, Guadaloupe (PTP)
20. Bonnaire, Netherlands Antilles

CENTRAL & SOUTH AMERICA: (13 Cities)

1. Caracas, Venezuela (CCS)
2. Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE)
3. Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA)
4. Ecuador
Guayaquil (GYE)
Quito (UIO)
5. Costa Rica
Liberia (LIR)
San Jose (SJO0
6. Lima, Peru (LIM)
7. Panama City, Panama (PTY)
8. Honduras
Roatan (RTB)
San Pedro Sula (SAP)
9. San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL)
10. Santiago, Chile (SCL)
11. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG)
12. Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU)

**Delta has applied for service with the US DOT to serve Cali and Medllin Colombia.

Now let's look at international Delta service out of New York:

EUROPE & AFRICA:

1. Accra, Ghana (ACC)
2. Athens, Greece (ATH)
3. Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS)
4. Barcelona, Spain (BCN)
5. Berlin, Germany (BER)
6. Brussels, Belgium (BRU)
7. Bucharest, Romania (OTP)
8. Budapest, Hungary (BUD)
9. Dublin, Ireland (DUB)
10. Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
11. Istanbul, Turkey (IST)
12. London Gatwick
13. London Heathrow
14. Kiev, Ukraine (KBP)
15. Moscow, Russia (SVO)
16. Mumbai, India (BOM)
17. Madrid, Spain (MAD)
18. Manchester, England (MAN)
19. Milan, Italy (MXP)
20. Nice, France (NCE)
21. Paris, France (CDG)
22. Pisa, Italy (PSA)
23. Rome, Italy (FCO)
24. Venice, Italy (VCE)
25. Shannon, Ireland (SNN)
26. Tel Aviv, Israel (TLV)
27. Edinburgh, Scotland
28. Lyon France (LYS)
29. Malaga, Spain
30. Dakar Senegal,
31. Cape Town, South Africa
32. Shannon, Ireland

MEXICO:

1. Mexico City (MEX)
2. Puerto Vallarta (PVR)

CARIBBEAN:

1. Aguadilla, Puerto Rico (BQN)
2. Antigua (ANU)
3. Aruba (AUA)
4. Bermuda (BDA)
5. Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ)
6. Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (POP)
7. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (PUJ)
8. Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago (POS)
9. St. Maarten (SXM)
10. St. Thomas (STT)
11. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)
12. San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)
13. Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI)
14. Barbuda (eff. June, 2008)

CENTRAL & SOUTH AMERICA:

1. Bogota, Columbia (BOG)
2. Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA)
3. Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR)
4. Panama City, Panama (PTY)
5. San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO)
6. Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU)

Plus more coming this summer

Now let's compare that with the international routes that your US based flight attendants fly. Not much of a comparison is it? Oh and we've got a few international trips out of Cincinnati as well. Career expectations will enter to arbitration once they get a look at these comparisons. I'm not saying that your F/A's don't have career expectations but the expectation to fly that percentage of international routes are much lower than F/A's at Delta and our seniority to hold international is most likely quite a bit lower than yours. And I seriously doubt that Delta would leave us high and dry in any negotiation. Your negotiators don't appear to have done too much for you in bankruptcy. We took our lumps during bankruptcy too but it was definitely no worse than the lumps you took and better than some others. Northwest flight attendants have most likely had an adversarial relationship with their management for some time. It was actually 3 Delta flight attendants who started the campaign for the employees to buy a 767 for the company in the 1970's. I know that was a long time ago but there is still some good will that exists between Delta management and other employee groups and I think that is very different than carriers who have been unionized for a long time. Even with unions, what has happened to the ranks of your mechanics? They've been decimated. Delta mechanics actually insource extra work to bring work to our mechanics. There are plenty of decisions that Delta management makes that aren't beneficial to flight attendants but so does every other company make these decisions and I don't see unions as having done anything better for their flight attendants than Delta has for ours. Up until around 9/11, Delta flight attendants were the highest paid in the industry and not by a little. Now we all trail Continental, American and especially Southwest but none of those carriers have entered bankruptcy. I remember when I started flying how many flight attendants from other carriers would tell me that they wished they worked for Delta. In my time at Delta the philosophy has been that when the company is doing well, we all do well and when times are hard, we all take some lumps. During bankruptcy we had some very good leaders and we all were hoping that Jim Whitehurst would be Grinstein's replacement. It didn't happen and we aren't as thrilled with Richard Anderson, but we go on. While we may not have a choice in final decisions, we do have input and that has helped us through the years. We also have the benefit of seeing what other carriers have and some positive changes have come about as a result of that. Our A-day system is so far superior to straight reserve that I can't begin to tell you. No way would I want to see that go away. Just as you have many flight attendants that are unappy with your union, so do we have many flight attendants that are unhappy with our management. It's inevitable and will always exist at every carrier. I truly get the sense that unionized flight attendants are scared to death of being without their union. That's really never entered into my thoughts to be scared of Delta. I've had an OJI, they were great, got sick on a trip and ended up in the emergency room and stuck in Milwaukee for 4 days and they were more than great. While I haven't agreed with many decisions our management makes, I can often understand the reasons for them. We have people who know that we've been through the ringer with pay cuts etc., and yet they do look for ways to improve our work lives like the AFP's that allow many to now work from their home cities. As long as there are other unions we benefit from the comparisons and I remember a time when unions were negotiating for things in their contracts that Delta F/A's had so it's not such a one sided issue as some portray it to be.

I'm not saying here that I am anti-union, I know that they've offered people at different carriers a lot of protection in the past. I've looked at what your union has done for you and I just don't see the benefit. I remember when your union kept threatening to creat chaos around the systems. I don't ever recall it happening. It was just a bluff time and again and you ended up getting nothing for all of that. If we do get a union I sure hope it won't be the AFA.

Right after the Pan Am aquisition, I fled to JFK to get off of reserve and fly Europe. I have to say, one year of nothing but Europe and then one by one, FA's from other bases started filtering in and there went my seniority. I could no longer hold Europe, so I decided to transfer back to Boston and resume flying domestic.

That is the industry. Think how excited the 61 Delta FA's that live in Minneapolis are going to feel about having a base in their home state? Are they not entitled to transfer once we are all one big happy family?

Let's honor DOH and get to the real job of winning this election and negotiating a contract.

DOH will give DAL FA the advantage but it is the only fair thing to do. NW FA's are accustomed to this language and hopefully will make peace with it. Without a contract however, we could lose a lot more than seniority.

Just my thoughts.

Right after the Pan Am aquisition, I fled to JFK to get off of reserve and fly Europe. I have to say, one year of nothing but Europe and then one by one, FA's from other bases started filtering in and there went my seniority. I could no longer hold Europe, so I decided to transfer back to Boston and resume flying domestic.

That is the industry. Think how excited the 61 Delta FA's that live in Minneapolis are going to feel about having a base in their home state? Are they not entitled to transfer once we are all one big happy family?

Let's honor DOH and get to the real job of winning this election and negotiating a contract.

DOH will give DAL FA the advantage but it is the only fair thing to do. NW FA's are accustomed to this language and hopefully will make peace with it. Without a contract however, we could lose a lot more than seniority.

Just my thoughts.

You are SO Right, Yankeestu!!
I'm sure Cajun isn't familiar with what happens in mergers. Again, I predict that he/she wasn't here for Western or PanAm. And I'm sure he/she is based on the east coast. This is going to be so exciting for those DL FAs in SFO, HNL, SEA and even LAX (at least they will have NRT again). I understand NW is opening a PDX base soon.
Think how wonderful that will be for the former PDX-based commuters! Hey Cajun--they may very well leave NY/ATL and go back to their home base. You'd move up some numbers. Ever think of that? Try to be positive.
:)

Just my thoughts.

How do you know DOH will benefit DL f/a's? Do you have the complete two list to compare? If so post that we we all can look at it. It may answer a lot of questions. I am not saying that I want any method to favor DAL just want to make sure we are not getting screwed. I am considered junior but my seniority can hold intl out of NYC. and with all the intl expansion Delta was on its way to being close to 50% intl. . Do you know what % NWA has intl vs domestic? I really dont want to be stuck on a DC9 for the next 10 years.

How do you know DOH will benefit DL f/a's? Do you have the complete two list to compare? If so post that we we all can look at it. It may answer a lot of questions. I am not saying that I want any method to favor DAL just want to make sure we are not getting screwed. I am considered junior but my seniority can hold intl out of NYC. and with all the intl expansion Delta was on its way to being close to 50% intl. . Do you know what % NWA has intl vs domestic? I really dont want to be stuck on a DC9 for the next 10 years.

Cooper--That's one of the things AFA would do for us. We would ALWAYS have access to our seniority list.
With that being said, Danny has the NW FA seniority list. Why don't you email him.
Here is the general list:

NWA F/As Dates of Hire

7001 - 8000 Date of hire 2001 - Present (NWA has hired nearly 1,000 FAs since 2007)

Cooper--That's one of the things AFA would do for us. We would ALWAYS have access to our seniority list.
With that being said, Danny has the NW FA seniority list. Why don't you email him.
Here is the general list:

NWA F/As Dates of Hire

Also there is only one flight attendant on NW seniority with a 1951 date of hire. After him it jumps to 1959.

Legally, it imposes on peoples privacy but I have the NW seniority list and they are a much more junior group than us. MUCH! We have much to lose if we don't vote AFA in.

I am sorry, have I said this before? <wink>

Back