DL Q-2 report: profit down but revenue up

You know, it may be down from last years, but still very good numbers. Heck 338 million going towards 2017 PS. Congrats to the Delta employees!!!

Here's what's wrong with CNBC repeating a Reuters article - DL's pre-tax profit was actually UP over the second quarter of last year, not down:

Adjusted pre-tax income for the June 2017 quarter was $1.85 billion, a $172 million increase from the June 2016 quarter, primarily driven by higher revenue. Delta recorded a June quarter 2017 adjusted operating margin of 18.4 percent. Delta delivered these results despite a $125 million negative impact from the operational disruption following severe storms in Atlanta in early April.

"The June quarter ranks among the best in Delta's history as our people delivered top financial, operational, and customer satisfaction results – and it is an honor to recognize that performance with an additional $338 million toward our 2017 profit sharing," said Ed Bastian, Delta's chief executive officer. "While 2017 is a transition period for Delta, we are encouraged by the improvement in unit revenues, leading to increasing conviction in our ability to expand margins as we move through the back half of the year."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/delta-air-lines-announces-june-quarter-profit-300487652.html

If not for the operational meltdown, DL would have earned pre-tax profit of $2 billion for the second quarter - an amazing figure.

You know, it may be down from last years, but still very good numbers. Heck 338 million going towards 2017 PS. Congrats to the Delta employees!!!

Indeed, the numbers are great. I'm not denying that. Just posting a topic/story.

Last edited:
Here's what's wrong with CNBC repeating a Reuters article - DL's pre-tax profit was actually UP over the second quarter of last year, not down:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/delta-air-lines-announces-june-quarter-profit-300487652.html

If not for the operational meltdown, DL would have earned pre-tax profit of $2 billion for the second quarter - an amazing figure.

Reuters / CNBC reported the GAAP numbers in their story as opposed to the Adjusted numbers.

Indeed, the numbers are great. I'm not denying that. Just posting a topic/story.
Yea I know. I didn't mean for my post to seem as towards you in a negative way. The reason I posted what I posted was kinda thru-out the industry. I hate it when just because the airlines report a little less than the following year then they are not doing good, at least that's the feeling some analyst and the investors make it seem like.
And they are great numbers. Just curious what the totals would have been without the meltdown part of the year.
An example of our June numbers for SWA revenue passengers were up around 4.2-5.1% while the load factor stayed the exact same at 87.3% But watch when we post 2Q results, investors and analyst will not like it because the quarterly reports are starting to balance out after the huge increases for W/A going away, international flights taking affect, and the AT purchase to fully kick in. Now everything is balancing out with out that crazy uptick we've been experiencing.

Latest posts