DL's schedule from DAL/DFW post Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.
That might because we some of us can't read it... all I'm seeing are solid blue lines and the same link you posted in the SWA Effect thread...

WorldTraveler said:
the only dodge is that you can't admit that DL is succeeding at what it wanted to do at DAL, WN isn't willing to take on DL's DTW, MSP, or SLC hubs, and all of the bravado you have put forth doesn't change that DL will be at DAL.

WN will have to figure out to make the most out of the 16 gates it has. It must be a real burden to only have 80% of the gates at an airport; tell me what other airlines have had to carry such a horrendous burden of living with JUST 80% of the gates at one of their major hubs. What a cross WN has to bear!

And there will be more strategic moves that confirms that DL has multiple other ways to achieve their strategic objectives.

ps... don't call me brother while carrying that pitchfork around.
Thx E.  I will try again.

Delta did fail at what they first set out to do at DAL which was to be awarded the 2 gates being divested by AA.  After this was settled (or at least realized) by you, you then reverted to campaign how Delta will remain at DAL, which not one single person has said they would not. Therefore Delta has not succeeded at anything at DAL.  They will continue to run out of one gate just like they always have.
SWA also failed to get the 2 gates.  But SWA will still have huge growth at DAL over the next few years.  Yes Delta added flights, just like VA and SWA did, but they never really succeeded at what they originally set out to do which was to get the 2 divested gates and add many, many more flights.  Not saying Delta is a failure overall here, just saying they failed to get the gates they originally wanted, therefore their original intent was not a success.
Now I know this was posted in another thread but it does have to do with the growth at DAL.  Just pointing out the potential growth for SWA over the next few years that will be very successful.  BTW it will be AA that feels the most pressure from the growth at DAL by SWA, not VA or Delta.  Pretty sure all 3 airlines can and will coexist at DAL and the fare wars will be fun to watch.

Reactions: 1 person
swamt said:
BTW it will be AA that feels the most pressure from the growth at DAL by SWA, not VA or Delta.  Pretty sure all 3 airlines can and will coexist at DAL and the fare wars will be fun to watch.
Nah, I still think you're completely wrong about who will bear the brunt of the impact.

AA gets all the attention and makes an easy target, but we all know WN won't bump AA out of the #1 spot ex-DFW/DAL by a long shot.

Where the impact of WN will be felt is with whoever currently sits in the #2, 3, and 4 positions. DL certainly falls into the #2 and #3 in some markets, but the guys truly at the bottom of the heap (F9, VX, and UA) in terms of share will be hurt the worst.

Not only are they likely to see their share ex-DFW/DAL to their hubs marginalized even further, but if there is a pricing war, they're all going to operate in the red. And yes, that includes VX. I give them 18 months before they cry uncle...

Losing share is never good, but losing money is always worse.

swamt,
you and others have tried to make this whole DAL issue about "someone has to lose in order for us to win."

Despite what you seem to hear, I have consistently said that WN would succeed.

I have wished you and WN well so many times I couldn't count.

There was never a doubt that WN would expand at DAL. none.

the only campaign they waged was to get the two gates. The rest of the "war" had already been won.

Therefore, to say that DL was any less successful in its campaign to expand at DAL is just nonsense.

Yes, DL wanted to get those two gates. But they still have more than doubled the number of seats they will offer at DAL. UA hasn't done that. AA can't. It is WN, VX, DL, and then UA in terms of seats at DAL.

DL has a presence. Did they want more? sure. So did WN. WN will make it work. DL will too.

As I noted, DL will expand in N. Texas. That is why the DFW-LAX announcement came right after it was apparent they could not launch DAL-LAX.

E is precisely right that the further tier airlines down the market will be most hurt and that is precisely why DL did not want to be marginalized in N. Texas. Given that DL is on par or equal to AA (who will remain the largest N. Texas carrier) in the combined DAL/DFW market to ATL, DTW, MSP, and SLC with a presence in LGA and LAX where they will likely be #3, DL is not in a bad shape. They would have liked to have a stronger presence - but so would have WN.

And DL is at both airports with mainline jets and will be the only airline to do that. But it is no different in that respect from ORD and HOU (not sure if AA has added mainline back to HOU).

I'm happy to let it go, swamt.

If you want to claim victory and say that you won and if anyone else wants to do the same, it is fine with me.

I am happy to admit I am wrong if that is what other people need.

once again, succeed and do well at DAL, and let this whole issue go.

I may very well could be wrong.  But I too don't think SWA would remove AA from the #1 slot.  Just thought they might take the biggest felt impact of the W/A going away.  
Wow.  You are predicting only 18 months for VA cries uncle?  I gotta ask, do you mean they will still be in the red after 18 months?  Pulling out of DAL?  Or just not competing so heavily with the other airlines at DAL?  Or could you pls explain what you mean by crying uncle?

WorldTraveler said:
swamt,
you and others have tried to make this whole DAL issue about "someone has to lose in order for us to win."

Despite what you seem to hear, I have consistently said that WN would succeed.

I have wished you and WN well so many times I couldn't count.

There was never a doubt that WN would expand at DAL. none.

the only campaign they waged was to get the two gates. The rest of the "war" had already been won.

Therefore, to say that DL was any less successful in its campaign to expand at DAL is just nonsense.

Yes, DL wanted to get those two gates. But they still have more than doubled the number of seats they will offer at DAL. UA hasn't done that. AA can't. It is WN, VX, DL, and then UA in terms of seats at DAL.

DL has a presence. Did they want more? sure. So did WN. WN will make it work. DL will too.

As I noted, DL will expand in N. Texas. That is why the DFW-LAX announcement came right after it was apparent they could not launch DAL-LAX.

E is precisely right that the further tier airlines down the market will be most hurt and that is precisely why DL did not want to be marginalized in N. Texas. Given that DL is on par or equal to AA (who will remain the largest N. Texas carrier) in the combined DAL/DFW market to ATL, DTW, MSP, and SLC with a presence in LGA and LAX where they will likely be #3, DL is not in a bad shape. They would have liked to have a stronger presence - but so would have WN.

And DL is at both airports with mainline jets and will be the only airline to do that. But it is no different in that respect from ORD and HOU (not sure if AA has added mainline back to HOU).

I'm happy to let it go, swamt.

If you want to claim victory and say that you won and if anyone else wants to do the same, it is fine with me.

I am happy to admit I am wrong if that is what other people need.

once again, succeed and do well at DAL, and let this whole issue go.
Let it go WT.  Your still not comprehending.  Your first 6-8 sentences validates it...

Reactions: 2 people
Delta doesn't even have the gates to operate six daily flights to Atlanta - need to see what United does and if it is willing to share.

even so though  if theres a mechanical break down that itself will or could create one heck of a nightmare for the next arrival if theyre sharing gates

robbedagain said:
even so though  if theres a mechanical break down that itself will or could create one heck of a nightmare for the next arrival if theyre sharing gates
When one of DL's have a break down they could contract out to SWA for the repairs.  DL mechs are not union so they could in fact do it, especially if they need a hangar to do the repairs, Hmmmmm...

Reactions: 3 people
robbedagain said:
Yes it would.

And while there was talk of extensive towing on/off gates in one of the other threads, that might not always be possible, depending on the mechanical issue.

swamt said:
When one of DL's have a break down they could contract out to SWA for the repairs.  DL mechs are not union so they could in fact do it, especially if they need a hangar to do the repairs, Hmmmmm...
They might, though I would think it would just be a road show from DFW instead? Guess it would depend on how big or small the issue was...

are you truly kidding? what kind of mechanical do you envision that you can't tow a plane off the gate?

DL has line maintenance in dozens of cities around the world and contracts with other maintenance sources where DL doesn't have maintenance. that is no different from what any other airline does, including WN.

The most likely reason why DL would NOT need WN maintenance is because the 717s are very reliable and because DL Tech Ops keeps them that way.

Given that DL's system completion factor is one of the highest of any airline not just in the US but also in the world, WN will starve if they are waiting for the opportunity to work on DL's aircraft.

for the most recent DOT report, DL operated 99.8% of its flights or cxld just 0.2% of its flights. Southwest cancelled 1.1% same as UA and AA cxld 1.9%

Further, DL's on-time was one of the highest in the industry, nearly 7 points higher than the industry and 12 whole points higher than WN.

Status
Not open for further replies.