Doug Parker has no intentions to Meet with AFA to develop a new proposal

Keroseneuser, I walked that pickett line and one before that at the city ticket office back in the 80s'. So, I know a little about being sincere in effort to achieve a fair contract. The difference is that was in the 80s' and 90s'. The times they have changed, the job is harder and I am in my 50s', my defined retirement plan has been lost and I need to contribute more to my 401k. But I can't because my coworkers will not vote for a raise. So, I guess it will be back to the pickett line...and if I am going to be there, even though I voted to give myself a pay raise both times, then every single F/A at US had better be prepared to be on that line with me.
Only, we are not going to be allowed to strike. So, let's by all means get serious about getting back to that table and negotiate. Hopefully we wont have to give up duty rigs.

Keroseneuser, I walked that pickett line and one before that at the city ticket office back in the 80s'. So, I know a little about being sincere in effort to achieve a fair contract. The difference is that was in the 80s' and 90s'. The times they have changed, the job is harder and I am in my 50s', my defined retirement plan has been lost and I need to contribute more to my 401k. But I can't because my coworkers will not vote for a raise. So, I guess it will be back to the pickett line...and if I am going to be there, even though I voted to give myself a pay raise both times, then every single F/A at US had better be prepared to be on that line with me.
Only, we are not going to be allowed to strike. So, let's by all means get serious about getting back to that table and negotiate. Hopefully we wont have to give up duty rigs.

I would not be surprised if it goes to a strike. Doug is used to running a group that crosses picket lines. AWA has a history of it in the past and many employees that did so at previous carriers. He is betting on the fact.

Hard to say how a president will handle a strike from USairways in this environment. AA was blocked, but spirit was allowed, etc. Unless we are talking about AA/US i don't think US alone is big enough for presidental intervention.

One thing is for sure, any strike on the property won't be coming from the pilot group, we are so fractured right now we would not be able to agree on a catering order for a company picnic much less anything like that! :)

Make no mistake, if there is a merge, APFA will indeed covet the duty rigs that US F/As have long had. Right now the only bargaining tool to a higher hourly rate the US F/As have are those duty rigs. It would probably send chills through management's spine if we go into merger and APFA insists on our superior duty rigs.

The APFA "insist" on anything? It is to laugh. During the 2003 concessions negotiations (you know, the ones that were going to keep us out of bankruptcy), they didn't even attempt to have a no bonusses/no raises clause for management included in the concessionary contract. Then after it was signed, they were all outraged that management took some of their concession money and awarded themselves bonusses.

The APFA thinks that Doug Parker is going to be their savior. I have my doubts. If he won't give anything to the people he currently employs, why should he do that for a new group of employees? And, how do they think a merged company would survive if he gave what he promised to the former AA f/as, but not give the same thing to the current LCC f/as? First off, if he did, he would be back in bankruptcy within a few months. And, I doubt any of you would stand (nor would I) for us making more money per hour, but you get to keep your duty rigs.

You know, we also get a lot less vacation than you do. Which do you think is likely to happen. We get our vacation time increased to match yours? Or, your vacation time gets cut to match ours? Recent airline industry history should answer that question for you.

Mr. Parker has shown himself capable of making a profit while operating two separate airlines under one airline name. Operating three airlines under one airline name shouldn't be much of a stretch for him. Think about it.

There is nothing to stop the f/as right to strike the airline. The NMB wil not schedule any more time; so....he's fired. He has NO right to tie you up and hold the uniion hostage.

This is not a BK arena. You are in sec. 6, t/a failed twice...cool off period, stike vote.......then CHAOS arond the system!

I would be arguing with AFA to approach the board in a formal letter (just as the pilots did in April 2004) and FIRE DOUG PARKER!!!!! He has spent too much time trying to force AA into a merger. You guys should go public and force Parker to pay attention to his own house, or get him OFF the US Airways payroll.

Just as the BOD followed the advice the pilots and fiared Dave Seigel, as the pilots said they WOULD NEVER go back to th table for aother round of concessions with Dave Siegel at the helm. So, Dave was fired; and the interim, in-experienced Bruce Lakefield, took the temporary position to lead the second BK with the pilots at the table withe Siegel gone!

You have the power through unityt o direct your leadership to act and get rid of the current managment culture. There maybe a ratification of a T/A if Doug Parker packs up and leaves! The guy has proven over the last 7 years that he just can't run a major legacy carrier, without looking for another airline to gobble up...he can't compete, so he tries to take over the competition as the only strategy to have market share.. He has no business acumen to go head to head with the competition and TAKE the market by offering the best service and being THE BEST IN CLASS. Your CEO has spent his energies and company resources, the entire year, pursuing another airline and another labor force.

Ya know Jim, APFA sounds like AFA. I agree it will be a race to the bottom for both groups. But, the US folks will enter into a merger without any protections for the PHX based F/As and making thousands of dollars less per year simply because of AFA union infighting which sunk both recent T/As.

This infighting must be stopped! And the US F/As must ratify a contract that will at least give them better wages than we have now, because it may be a while before the Single Carrier Status is assumed and negotiations can begin on the "Industry Standard Contract" that Mr. Parker is proposing.

To date the F/As at US have apparently cut nose off to spite face. Although nothing has been announced, it may just happen that a merger is announced and the US people can't get their own house in order before APFA starts looking after its' best interests.

As has happened so many times before one carrier's employees lose out for what ever reason. But this time we all know that reason was that the US F/As failed to see the bigger picture.

Wages dont mean a thing if you dont have scope language and benefits you can afford to for and earn enough to put in your 401k since you dont have a pension anymore either.

It's been seven years, what makes you think if you accept a substandard CBA now that Doug will open up the checkbook and give you industry standard?

PITbull,

It would be nice if we still had you to help us out. The sad truth is there simply just isn't that quality of leadership left at the helm of AFA.

I know in the past I have been more critical of the F/As at US who seem so adamant about making a statement about how they were treated through the 2 BKs. I could be so much more critical of Parker and mgmnt. if I did not understand that they are doing exactly what they are paid to do. And that is keep all of our wages as low as possible.

So, here we are. As a group we now have to take the 100% strike vote and hope we can strike. If not we will have to wait the recess out and then go back to the table and try again. The latter seems the most likely.

My beef with all of this is we could have taken the modest increase in wages, kept the job protections and duty rigs in place, and got on with the business of being F/As. So now we must go on with the distraction and hope for the best...It gets old after a while. Sigh

700UW,

The industry standard I am referring to is what he offered to the F/As at AA. Without a merger we may end up better off for a little while until market forces kick in and kill us off.
Is anyone else tired of this merry go round?

You should never settle for substandard agreement, and thats what you all did, and it was rejected.

Apparently the majority of the AFA members twice thought it was substandard, ask them why it was voted down?

The pilots are dealing with a seniority integration that is a mess. As of right now the junior 330 captain would have 37 west guys senior to him.....that junior 330 capt was hired at Usair 3 years before america west even existed.
Which of course means nothing. There is no bump and flush, so that pilot isn't affected by any west pilot until there is a vacancy. By the time there is any tangible affect on that pilot he may well be retired. And how many east people would be senior to this junior 330 CA? there will be 2 east upgrades for every 1 west upgrade.

Red herrings stink in the light of day.

You should never settle for substandard agreement, and thats what you all did, and it was rejected.
That's right. Don't built a fortress brick by brick.Just withstand attck after attack until the one fortress-sized rock is found. If you last that long.

Geesh!

You know 700 I have done exactly that. And what I found is that it would have been ratified if the AFA leadership had been doing the right thing. But we could go on for pages and it does not matter now. It was a very close vote. Now that the implications are sinking in for our PHX F/As everyone seems to have a little remorse, especially if a merger is announced.

With that said, do you see me posting over on the pilots board pointing out how foolish and childish the West pilots are acting. I wish you guys would get your problems solved, but I am not going to be giving you any advice because quite frankly I haven't walked a mile in your shoes. So you really don't have a dog in the F/As fight with US management...with all due respect.

Not a pilot, former maintenance worker who was on the IAM Negotiating committee during BK part 2

Latest posts

Back