Emergency Landing, 1/30/08

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
Last night just as I was going to bed, I caught the very end of a report on CNN that an AA jet had made an emergency landing. As luck would have it, I got the very end of the report on the Today show this morning. Something about smoke in the cockpit.

They did say that no passengers were injured, but cockpit crew and 3 f/as taken to hospital. There is not a word on the website of the Dallas Morning News this morning.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks for the links. It will be interesting to find out how flight attendants and passengers were injured if the smoke was confined to the cockpit.

They ferried a 757 from FLL to PBI then onto PHL from PBI. The Pilots and 4 of the 5 f/a's from Miami. The extra f/a was from Dallas.

Thanks for the links. It will be interesting to find out how flight attendants and passengers were injured if the smoke was confined to the cockpit.

1 pax in back reported he could smell it in back, and was worse as he exited front of ac.

Initial reports from several pax interviews were that the FA's were very professional in their duties.

Nice job+++

As for the hospital visit. I would suspect than 99% of any smoke produced in any aircraft vessel has some serious nasty stuff in it, I'd go just to get documentation.

It was also the second smoke diversion of the day.

It is starting to get a little old watching the local news helicopters and the airport rescue trucks following AA aircraft after landing.

From the Palm Beach Post article...

"The NTSB wrote the Federal Aviation Administration in September, citing five incidents - three in 2004 and two in 2006 - in which windshields overheated, causing smoke and, in some cases, fire.

The letter said Boeing had discovered a flaw in the windshields in 2004 and was placing a new design in new planes. In the summer of 2006, Boeing sent service bulletins to owners of most existing models, including the 757, the model in Wednesday's incident. The NTSB also said the FAA agreed to issue bulletins requiring replacements but had not yet done so. The FAA told the safety board in November it would "propose an airworthiness directive" some time this year."

Boeing discovered the problem in 2004, sent a service bulletin in 2006, and the FAA is going to "propose an airworthiness directive" this year?????? 4 years after the problem was first discovered?????

We wouldn't want to rush into anything just because airworthiness and passenger safety appears to be compromised. :shock: :shock: :shock:

They called a field trip last night at about 10PM To PBI
All anyone said was a Broken Windshield that was all no mention about smoke in the Cabin
Dont know who went up to PBI and I am off the next couple of days
:D
Why wouldn't the plane divert to MIA in the first place? Looking at the Flight Aware route, it looks like there wouldn't be that much of a distance issue. I know the decision is the Pilots call, but does AA OPs have a voice in a situation as this?

Why wouldn't the plane divert to MIA in the first place? Looking at the Flight Aware route, it looks like there wouldn't be that much of a distance issue. I know the decision is the Pilots call, but does AA OPs have a voice in a situation as this?

Depending on the situation, divert airport suggestions might be accepted or ignored.

Back