Emergency Landing, 1/30/08

Why wouldn't the plane divert to MIA in the first place? Looking at the Flight Aware route, it looks like there wouldn't be that much of a distance issue. I know the decision is the Pilots call, but does AA OPs have a voice in a situation as this?

If you had smoke in the cockpit I bet you would want to set it down ASAP
;)

If you had smoke in the cockpit I bet you would want to set it down ASAP
;)
All I was implying, was that were they were in location to PBI and MIA looked like about the same distance. I would expect them to get down ASAP, I was just trying to learn the procedures that are involved in this decision. Only the Crew is qualified to make their decision, and I highly respect it.

All I was implying, was that were they were in location to PBI and MIA looked like about the same distance. I would expect them to get down ASAP, I was just trying to learn the procedures that are involved in this decision. Only the Crew is qualified to make their decision, and I highly respect it.

Flightaware isn't a good reference for judging distances. Safe to say that they wouldn't have flown over MIA to get to PBI if they were south.

Every situation is different.

cheers

Osama Bin Laden would also like to know these procedures.

Enough said.
One big difference, I am an American Citizen, former Army Engineer. Out 20 years already. I get your point what you mean, and I should have rephrased it abit. When I type sometimes I type something way different than I intend to. :unsure:

Mach85ER Flightaware isn't a good reference for judging distances. Safe to say that they wouldn't have flown over MIA to get to PBI if they were south.

Every situation is different.

cheers

I understand you, and agree. Its easy sitting here in a comfy warm room to second think what they should have done or not. The Crew is trained to do the best and make decisions on the spot. The most important thing is, that they landed and everyone was safe. Amen.

Osama Bin Laden would also like to know these procedures.

Enough said.

True many times. This one? Nope.

This subject is heavily bound by the FAR's, very public stuff. Athough I'm not a fan of the capability, Flightaware will let somebody track diversion tracks backwards for years.
Your dead on with more detailed AA Pilot and FA procedures. Thx for being heads up, everyone should continue to be.

the plane was going from either SJU or STT to PHL when they made an emergency landing that was what NBC 10WCAU sais in its report

Back