FAA approves move by Atlanta-area airport opposed by Delta

topDawg said:
Virgin moved for the same reason WN started at DAL. 

American Airlines. 

and I believe DFW has lower landing fees FWIW. It isn't cost, its WN being scared to play with the big boys. Any chance they can they run to another airport. Did it in Dallas, did it in Chicago....... 
You believe what ever you want to believe.  SWA will always take the lower cost smaller airports over the larger more congested ones if they have the choice, been doing it this way for ever.  And trust me it has everything to do with the cost...

PHL is indeed a one-airport city, but your comparison overlooks the overlapping catchment areas of EWR/PHL and BWI/PHL.

From Trenton/Princeton and most of central NJ, it's just as easy to fly from EWR as it is from PHL. Less so for the folks in Wilmington, but it's still an option to head southwest.

You can't say that about ATL unless you look at BHM....

BHM WAS WN's ATL airport for years... at the rate WN is going, BHM might end up larger than WN again.  did I hear that ATL-BDL bites the dust soon?

You believe what ever you want to believe.  SWA will always take the lower cost smaller airports over the larger more congested ones if they have the choice, been doing it this way for ever.  And trust me it has everything to do with the cost avoiding competition...
FIFY

swamt said:
You believe what ever you want to believe.  SWA will always take the lower cost smaller airports over the larger more congested ones if they have the choice, been doing it this way for ever.  And trust me it has everything to do with the cost...
What higher cost are we talking about here? Again, I am 99% sure DFW has lower landing fees than DAL. 

topDawg said:

and I believe DFW has lower landing fees FWIW. It isn't cost, its WN being scared to play with the big boys. Any chance they can they run to another airport. Did it in Dallas, did it in Chicago....... 

Actually, from what I can find, the landing fee at DFW is almost 50% higher than the latest figure I can find for DAL.  I can't find a for sure rate for DAL since it was raised to $2/1000 pounds in 2011.  At DFW the 2014 rate is $2.82/1000 lbs for "signatory" (whatever the heck that means) airlines.  Non-signatory (ditto) airlines pay 125% of the signatory rate.

Also, I don't believe that one can say that WN "ran" to another airport at Dallas or Chicago.  WN always operated from DAL and MDW.  They didn't run from DFW or ORD.  AFAIK, they never served either airport.  IIRC, WN did not exist when the 5PartyAgreement was signed to close DAL  to commercial passenger traffic when DFW opened.  And, as they started with flying only from Dallas to Houston and back, they saw no need for their passengers to have to troop out to the boonies to get a low fare.  Just as DAL is 20 miles closer to downtown Dallas than DFW, HOU has the same advantage over IAH.  IAH is within a couple of miles of the northern Harris County line, and Harris County is a large county.  They did at one time have flights from IAH to DAL as well as from HOU, but north Houston passengers just didn't seem interested in flying WN; so, everything got consolidated at HOU.

One of the things I have always admired about WN is they have no problem admitting that something is not working and needs to be changed or eliminated.  They start flights from Point A to Point B--particularly if some other airline has dropped that route and there is no longer service at all (which seems rather smart to me if you're trying something as an experiment).  If after a time the route is not carrying its own weight financially, WN terminates the route and calls it quits.  Would that we all could have that much corporate humility.  AA lost a lot of money on ORD-DEL before they were willing to admit the route was not working.  It's fine and shows some corporate gutsiness to say "There's no LBB-LHR service.  Let's see if we can make it work with a 773."  It shows corporate stupidity if you are still running the route 2 years later and you've never had more than 50 people on any one flight.

I just worked a flight from DFW to HOU last week.  I was amazed at how nice the terminal is now.  It was very dated when I first saw it in 1969.  It looked like a 1930's bus station.

I hate to break it to you, jimbo, but a whole lot of airlines figured out how to exit unprofitable markets long before WN started spewing pollutants int the skies over N. America.

so let me get this - so now we are accusing SW of spewing pollutants in the skies over North America - and who runs the most fuel inefficient fleet?  Let me help you with that one - as it will be hard for you to answer - DL

jcw, note that I do not respond to WT.  If you just ignore him, maybe he'll go away.

Note to WT:  Please feel free to be as condescending as you wish.  It implies that you have made a serious error.  You have evidently mistaken me for someone who gives a crap what you think.  WWJD.

re: DFW landing fees... yes, they now have higher published fees than DAL.

When they embarked on Terminal D, the natural gas wells on the airport were just starting to produce and gas prices were in the $12/mcf range. That in turn reduced fees for the tenant airlines.

Then gas dropped to $3/mcf... and DFW still had all that new terminal improvements to pay for... so landing fees went back up.

topDawg said:
What higher cost are we talking about here? Again, I am 99% sure DFW has lower landing fees than DAL. 
Wrong.  DFW is more expensive.  If you have to ask then you have no idea...

WorldTraveler said:
I hate to break it to you, jimbo, but a whole lot of airlines figured out how to exit unprofitable markets long before WN started spewing pollutants int the skies over N. America.
No they did not. SWA showed them how to do that.  It's plane and simple, support SWA in the new community or SWA moves on, period...

eolesen said:
re: DFW landing fees... yes, they now have higher published fees than DAL.

When they embarked on Terminal D, the natural gas wells on the airport were just starting to produce and gas prices were in the $12/mcf range. That in turn reduced fees for the tenant airlines.

Then gas dropped to $3/mcf... and DFW still had all that new terminal improvements to pay for... so landing fees went back up.
Thank you.  But I was going to make him do his own homework.  Not to mention the time and taxi fuel it takes to get around at DFW compared to DAL LF, plus the idle time waiting for a take off slot at DFW.  It all adds up to "COST" to operate flights between the two airports...

No they did not. SWA showed them how to do that.  It's plane and simple, support SWA in the new community or SWA moves on, period...
you need to spend some time perusing old airline timetables. EVERY airline has had strategic changes that involved ditching markets that didn't work.

WN certainly does it - they are doing it again in large measure in ATL. but WN certainly didn't invent or even perfect the process.

Wow DL actually changes schedules by ditching markets - I did not think that was possible in fantasy land

yeah..so does AA... their Latin system is down by 5% in traffic and ASMs.... DL now flies 60% of the ASMs to Latin America that AA does. UA also is in double digit growth mode to Latin America.

apparently other carriers are finding revenues where AA can't. so AA cuts.

you are always slamming AA for every move it makes just wanted to be sure it's OK for every airline to adjust flight schedules - now you are saying it's OK

Latest posts

Back