FAA set to hit American with huge penalty

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- A published report says federal officials are ready to hit American Airlines with a record penalty of $25 million or more for maintenance shortcomings that led to thousands of canceled flights in 2008.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Report-FAA-set-to-hit-apf-2865816489.html?x=0&.v=4

<_< -------This thread should have been labeled: "FAA Witch hunt!"
your right mci its like the faa has it out for american airlines

we are the only major airline that has kept so much work in house and they continue to bang us, look whats happening to the asap program due to the way the faa is handling some of the reports that don't meet the qualifacations according to there guide lines

how come faa never fined northwest for all there maint. short comings and now that delta bought them out the information is finally coming out ? get real

we have some guys that work for a contract outfit up here the #### that gets whipped off its amazing and the faa never says peep

your right mci its like the faa has it out for american airlines

we are the only major airline that has kept so much work in house and they continue to bang us, look whats happening to the asap program due to the way the faa is handling some of the reports that don't meet the qualifacations according to there guide lines

how come faa never fined northwest for all there maint. short comings and now that delta bought them out the information is finally coming out ? get real

we have some guys that work for a contract outfit up here the #### that gets whipped off its amazing and the faa never says peep
Bear in mind these fines, as with any other government "watchdog" agency, go into the agency's operating fund/budget.

American is the only airline doing heavy maintenance in-house, thus, the fines have to be larger and more frequent to offset the lack of income that used to come from UAL, NWA, CAL, DAL, ect. combined to keep the government lowlife in the lifestyle to which they've become accustomed.

No great mystery at all.

Bear in mind these fines, as with any other government "watchdog" agency, go into the agency's operating fund/budget.

American is the only airline doing heavy maintenance in-house, thus, the fines have to be larger and more frequent to offset the lack of income that used to come from UAL, NWA, CAL, DAL, ect. combined to keep the government lowlife in the lifestyle to which they've become accustomed.

No great mystery at all.

All I want to know is where the hell were they when NWA kicked all their mechanics to the street? I mean I know for a fact there were a lot of incidents and wheel assemblies flying off a/c.. Just goes to show you what a good payoff will do.

All I want to know is where the hell were they when NWA kicked all their mechanics to the street? I mean I know for a fact there were a lot of incidents and wheel assemblies flying off a/c.. Just goes to show you what a good payoff will do.

NWA management had Senator Oberstar from Minnesota watching over them. He let the courts destroy NWA and kept the FAA off of their backs when the scabs took over maintenance. He is the chairman of the House Transportation Committee.

NWA management had Senator Oberstar from Minnesota watching over them. He let the courts destroy NWA and kept the FAA off of their backs when the scabs took over maintenance. He is the chairman of the House Transportation Committee.
oberstar and he claimed to be the guy to upgrade maint. standards and keep work in the U.S. if i remember correctly

what a scam

No great mystery at all.
pound them (uaua dal luv co etc)there making the profit salthought we all now AA would be showing profits to if it was not for all the contracts that are currently due

there maint. is that much better at other airlines NOT

As was spoken about at that time, some airlines had/have a better "working relationship" with the FEDs than others - ie, our government and its various agencies have been for sale to the highest bidder for years. If the relationship is "cozy" enough, their personnel will gladly look the other way.

As the other gent mentioned, don't forget about the interference ran by Oberstar, the SOB politician from MN (Chairman, House Transportation Committee) looking to extract "campaign contributions", Lobby money, and other outright bribes from NWA.

There was one and perhaps two FAA inspectors, as I recall, that commented and complained re: this "coziness" and were summarily hidden, retired, or otherwise hushed up by the FAA.

American Airlines has never had a great relationship with the government due to the simple fact we had a no-nonsense, cut the crap-type of businessman at the helm for years that really didn't have the word "schmooze" in his vocabulary - that was Uncle Bob. Believe it or not, we're still paying for that as it's very evident we, for years, haven't gotten to share in the route awards handed to other airlines.

As has been said before by many people, we have the best government money can buy as well as (presently) the same manner of representation from the TWU.

It's time to take out the garbage.

As was spoken about at that time, some airlines had/have a better "working relationship" with the FEDs than others - ie, our government and its various agencies have been for sale to the highest bidder for years. If the relationship is "cozy" enough, their personnel will gladly look the other way.

As the other gent mentioned, don't forget about the interference ran by Oberstar, the SOB politician from MN (Chairman, House Transportation Committee) looking to extract "campaign contributions", Lobby money, and other outright bribes from NWA.

There was one and perhaps two FAA inspectors, as I recall, that commented and complained re: this "coziness" and were summarily hidden, retired, or otherwise hushed up by the FAA.

American Airlines has never had a great relationship with the government due to the simple fact we had a no-nonsense, cut the crap-type of businessman at the helm for years that really didn't have the word "schmooze" in his vocabulary - that was Uncle Bob. Believe it or not, we're still paying for that as it's very evident we, for years, haven't gotten to share in the route awards handed to other airlines.

As has been said before by many people, we have the best government money can buy as well as (presently) the same manner of representation from the TWU.

It's time to take out the garbage.

Don't blame the TWU for this. This is why American's aircraft maintenance will eventually end up in China. The FAA will not and does not inspect the overseas bases like they do ours. Just the other day they grounded one of our planes because they did not like the rivets in a doubler. They just let SWA off the hook for the hole in the 737 fuselage that was due to metal fatique. Southwest simply says that their subcontractors in Central America will do a better job.

During the second round of grounding's, a night shift mech told me that after they redid the ECO a FAA insp working the night shift would inspect the wiring and say that's good, then the day shift FAA insp would look at it and would say that has to be redone. :blink:

Who was in charge of AA maint at that time, and is he still working at AA?

Don't blame the TWU for this. This is why American's aircraft maintenance will eventually end up in China. The FAA will not and does not inspect the overseas bases like they do ours. Just the other day they grounded one of our planes because they did not like the rivets in a doubler. They just let SWA off the hook for the hole in the 737 fuselage that was due to metal fatique. Southwest simply says that their subcontractors in Central America will do a better job.
Texasreb:

The only simile I made re: the TWU was that they, as is the Federal Government, is for sale to the highest bidder. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

The extent of the TWU's "responsibility" is no more than lining their own pockets. I'm not blaming them for anything but their poor and unaccountable brand of represention, and I'm using the word "representation" rather loosely here.

During the second round of grounding's, a night shift mech told me that after they redid the ECO a FAA insp working the night shift would inspect the wiring and say that's good, then the day shift FAA insp would look at it and would say that has to be redone. :blink:

Who was in charge of AA maint at that time, and is he still working at AA?
Kindly explain what "who was in charge of AA maintenance at the time" has to do with this? The FAA obviously had different sets of marchng orders, depending on what shift their inspectors were working. As an AMT, you should be familiar with this manner of management as it's standard operating procedure for the day, afternoon and night shift airline not to agree on the shape of the table. If you, byhaps, are looney enough to believe an agency of the Federal Government, especially the FAA, is going to have their respective acts together, you are a prime candidate for a drug test.

FYI - the "gentleman" in charge of aircraft maintenance was "Bar-B-Que" Bob.

<_< -------- The Nov. elections are coming up soon!!!

The problem is the general public does not care if their planes are worked on in China or the USA. If they did care about all of the jobs going to China then they would stop shopping at Walmart and throw out every elected official.

Latest posts