FAA set to hit American with huge penalty

<_< -------- The Nov. elections are coming up soon!!!

So? The problems with the FAA described here did not just start with the current administration. In fact, during the period addressed in the proposed fine, the other party was in power. As someone who worked for the government (state of Texas) a thousand years ago, I can testify to the fact that it doesn't matter which party is in power. They are just as helpless to change the bureaucracy as you or I. The lifetime occupants of those government jobs just nod their heads, say we'll do better in the future, then go right back to doing (or not doing) whatever they were doing (or not doing) before the new "boss" walked in.

You think it's hard to fire a union member? Try firing a government employee. Some sort of discrimination (age, race, sex) will be immediately claimed as the reason for the termination. Total incompetence couldn't possibly be the reason.

And, texasreb is right. The public does not care where the maintenance is done, as long as the ticket is cheap.

Years ago when SJC was a new hub and thriving, I was on the S-80 just before we were ready to board, and there were a few men on board kicking the metal rails of the seats near the floor, and pushing the asile seats FWD. I asked them what are you doing, and the reply was.

" were the FAA and we are looking for items to be fixed, because your the only
airline that has money and can aford to fix them"

Never forgot that and think of it all the time...

So? The problems with the FAA described here did not just start with the current administration. In fact, during the period addressed in the proposed fine, the other party was in power. As someone who worked for the government (state of Texas) a thousand years ago, I can testify to the fact that it doesn't matter which party is in power. They are just as helpless to change the bureaucracy as you or I. The lifetime occupants of those government jobs just nod their heads, say we'll do better in the future, then go right back to doing (or not doing) whatever they were doing (or not doing) before the new "boss" walked in.

You think it's hard to fire a union member? Try firing a government employee. Some sort of discrimination (age, race, sex) will be immediately claimed as the reason for the termination. Total incompetence couldn't possibly be the reason.

And, texasreb is right. The public does not care where the maintenance is done, as long as the ticket is cheap.
Jim:

There's not a nickel's worth of difference between what passes for the two "opposing" political parties today. They exist for no reason other than to give the largely ignorant and uninformed electorate something to argue about while the SOBs of both so-called "poltical persuasions" are busy in the back rooms calculating their next assault on the public they pretend to serve.

Bear in mind these fines, as with any other government "watchdog" agency, go into the agency's operating fund/budget.

American is the only airline doing heavy maintenance in-house, thus, the fines have to be larger and more frequent to offset the lack of income that used to come from UAL, NWA, CAL, DAL, ect. combined to keep the government lowlife in the lifestyle to which they've become accustomed.

No great mystery at all.
Your not the only airline doing heavy maintenance inhouse, in CLT for US we overhaul the 737s, 757s, some checks on the A320 family, an occasional widebody too, and in PIT we overhaul the A320 family and in PHX we do C-checks.

Your not the only airline doing heavy maintenance inhouse, in CLT for US we overhaul the 737s, 757s, some checks on the A320 family, an occasional widebody too, and in PIT we overhaul the A320 family and in PHX we do C-checks.

Go Cowboys!

OK - didn't mean to slight anyone else doing heavy a/c maintenance out there..

men and woman its amazing but a thread that appears we are all in agreement

THERES HOPE FOR US YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

men and woman its amazing but a thread that appears we are all in agreement

THERES HOPE FOR US YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paul you are the only one that makes any sense on this forum................... :)

Couldn't agree more. This was a pure bs action against AA two years ago, and now to come out with a $25 million fine is just ridiculous.
As an AMT in Tulsa working MD-80's, I couldn't agree more. The FAA needs to fine itself, before they fine us. We do our job to the best of our abilities, and if we need guidance, we go to engineers for support. They are the ones that wright the EA"s that we are to follow as well as the AD's from the FAA. So it's the mechanic's fault for not writing the AD or EA correctly. I think not!

As an AMT in Tulsa working MD-80's, I couldn't agree more. The FAA needs to fine itself, before they fine us. We do our job to the best of our abilities, and if we need guidance, we go to engineers for support. They are the ones that wright the EA"s that we are to follow as well as the AD's from the FAA. So it's the mechanic's fault for not writing the AD or EA correctly. I think not!
As I've said before, federal agencies (FAA, FCC, DOT, etc. and et al) levy fines and those fines go into their operating budget to pay salaries and increase enforcement to bring in more in fines - the cycle starts again.

As compared to 20 years ago, there's not as much maintence going on for the SOBs to monitor therefore, fewer targets to extract fines from to keep themselves in the lifestyle to which they've become accustomed.

It's only natural they'd chip away at AA because it's definitely a higher profile target than others who do some maintenance for others or in house. The government likes recognition for keeping the public safe, insuring string tie spacing on wire bundles don't vary more than .015 of an inch or closer, depending on whether or not the FAA inspector got a little the night before. It may be, in addition, some of those businesses more "friendly" with the FA don't care for the publicity and PR re: foreign maintenance (Chinese, Mexican, Salvadorian, unsupervised, etc.) being done by them and are pleased to guide their "friends" to those making them look bad - the oldest busness trick (almost) in the book. Where's James Bond when you need him?

Remember - government, at any level, exists for no reason other than to provide employment to the incompetent. The sad thing is some of the SOBs are put in place (elected) by the people (add visual - photograph of jackass).

Latest posts