Finally; Non-stops from Dallas to LGA---

Status
Not open for further replies.

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Terry Maxon just put out an article for SWA to start in Nov. with non-stops to LGA and other cities from LGA.  Hope there are even more flights added at LF later on (which I am sure they will be).  Been waiting to hear these announcements, and there will be more coming in May...

This is only the beginning.  For you guys still wanting to get on at SWA as a mechanic, we are hearing of more opportunities coming up.  After W/A is repealed and gone SWA will increase the number of overnighters and we have been told they will hire for this.  Still no set numbers on how many, could be anywhere from 5-30 and this is just a guess, but we have heard the 5 starter number for sure, once the W/A is gone and SWA gets the news rather they get the 2 divested gates or not, then they will have a better outlook and hire accordingly.  I will try to post when I see it.  Good luck to all you guys trying to get on...

swamt said:
Terry Maxon just put out an article for SWA to start in Nov. with non-stops to LGA and other cities from LGA.  Hope there are even more flights added at LF later on (which I am sure they will be).  Been waiting to hear these announcements, and there will be more coming in May...
Never a dull moment in this industry!

WN outsources more maintenance than any US legacy carrier.... these new flights aren't going to create any significant increase in jobs.

It means WN will increase their headcounts in line maintenance, they always do when they expand.

They dont outsource line maintenance, and WN does four lines of hmv at DAL, they dont outsource all their checks like delta.

And spin it how you want, you use dollars, we are using actual work.

WorldTraveler said:
WN outsources more maintenance than any US legacy carrier.... these new flights aren't going to create any significant increase in jobs.
^Flamebait.^

Once again, congrats on fully devolving into what you claim to despise.

How 'bout taking your foot off of the gas and trying to contribute. If you don't want to talk about MTX, how 'bout increased gate usage and/or offsetting fixed costs? You're a numbers guy; that should come easily for you.

No?

Okay, carry on, then.

swamt said:

On May 19th we will open the schedule from Nov. 1st thru Jan. 4th
including more new non-stops from Love Field...

WT's trolling shows his general ignorance on how to run an operation... and his ignorance of WN's labor contracts.

To make full use of the real estate, you'll need a minimum of two banks of kick-off flights, implying at least 25 overnighters, if not more. That's a lot of mechanics, for both the overnight checks and to manage the taxiing.

Every gate kicks out a departure during an 0600 bank, and as those aircraft push back, another originator immediately takes the gate from the hangars to fund a bank of 0700 departures. By then, you have outstation flights arriving.

I don't know how many overnighters they currently have, but that's all insourced. I'd imagine if WN is going to push utilization higher than it already is, they'll also put more guys on the line to meet inbounds during the day, and clear what they can from the logbooks during turns.

That all stands to drive more line mechanics than they have at DAL today, but, what would I know?...

I may have mistyped before.  I get confused with all the Northern airport call letters, you know LGA, DCA, FAA and of course CMA.  None of that matters though, as SWA has just announced numerous new flights all over the place, great news to hear, as well as the added overnighters and the added maint people (not only mechanics mind you) and yes E, I too think it will end up in the 20's or 30's as we are hearing as far as mechanics, but this is no guarantee.  Leave it to WT to try and knock down a positive post for more jobs and growth for a local market.  BTW WT, SWA does not farm out the most. Again get a clue, and you can do your own homework.

Sharon, looking forward to the new schedule posted in May. And yes LF's new additional flights will be added at that time, but I am also earing of more announcements coming soon in between now and May, stay tuned.   Looks to be a very good and positive year for us.  Love to see the growth once again...

Kev3188 said:
^Flamebait.^

Once again, congrats on fully devolving into what you claim to despise.

How 'bout taking your foot off of the gas and trying to contribute. If you don't want to talk about MTX, how 'bout increased gate usage and/or offsetting fixed costs? You're a numbers guy; that should come easily for you.

No?

Okay, carry on, then.

WN's fleet is NOT growing... they are rearranging their aircraft to seek new opportunities.  Their overall fleet count is down and will not recover this year.

There is no reason that WN should need to add a bunch of overall mechanics because they are shifting aircraft to DAL or any other city... Did WN not maintain its aircraft where they overnighted before?

It is not flamebait to counter this hyper fanaticism about what all this DCA, DAL, and LGA growth.
Sure, concentrating service at a few airports reduces costs but it does little to position WN as a nationwide carrier when they have to dump 18 cities - and counting - in order to gain access to even some of the top business markets in the country.

WN is adding a lot of service to big markets.... take it for what it is.  The airline is using larger gauge flights but fewer aircraft on fewer flights.  Their traffic reports have consistently shown that. 

WorldTraveler said:
There is no reason that WN should need to add a bunch of overall mechanics because they are shifting aircraft to DAL or any other city... Did WN not maintain its aircraft where they overnighted before?
There are several reasons that could drive incremental headcount, something you'd know if you had any actual field experience.

The schedule is what drives maintenance headcount, not the raw number of overnighters.

Moving the airplanes to DAL most likely involve a morning taxi operation which wouldn't exist in the outstation. That has to all happen in a short timeframe, thus you have incremental headcount. Having more overnighters at a station like DAL also increases the opportunity to knock out stuff that exceeds the normal overnight bill of work. Working the MEL's at DAL is a lot easier than AOG'ing stuff to ELP in the middle of the day...

WN is flying FEWER block hours this year than it did last year and they will fly even less before the uptick starts in part because they are removing their entire fleet of 717s.

DAL has nothing to do with the issue.

The issue is that WN has to do maintenance regardless of where the aircraft fly.

Unless WN has been doing substandard maintenance and will now improve it (and I don't think that is the case), WN is simply shifting overnights that might have been done at other stations (or perhaps deferred until the next large station visit but it still had to be done).

If swamt wants to get excited about a bunch of new maintenance positions at DAL, that was a given when the WA fell.  But until the fleet actually grows or WN's maintenance needs grow larger for those new aircraft than for what they are removing from serving, then WN is simply moving maintenance positions around.

I have BOTH the field and headquarters experience to understand both the day to day and big picture. 

WorldTraveler said:
DAL has nothing to do with the issue.
Given that the topic is flights ex-DAL, I'd say it has *everything* to do with DAL.

The issue is that WN has to do maintenance regardless of where the aircraft fly.
Better, but still not directly related to this thread.

Germane to this topic, the OP has noted that the increase in activity at DAL will likely result in an increased head count.

I have BOTH the field and headquarters experience to understand both the day to day and big picture.
Awesome. Can you share with us when you last worked in both?

here is the quote.....

swamt said:
This is only the beginning.  For you guys still wanting to get on at SWA as a mechanic, we are hearing of more opportunities coming up.  After W/A is repealed and gone SWA will increase the number of overnighters and we have been told they will hire for this.  Still no set numbers on how many, could be anywhere from 5-30 and this is just a guess, but we have heard the 5 starter number for sure, once the W/A is gone and SWA gets the news rather they get the 2 divested gates or not, then they will have a better outlook and hire accordingly.  I will try to post when I see it.  Good luck to all you guys trying to get on...

it says nothing about reducing its maintenance at other stations in order to increase its maintenance staffing at DAL.

He does appeal to people who want to get on at WN.

If WN isn't increasing its total maintenance staffing, and why would they do that if they have less aircraft in the fleet than they have right now,
are they firing mechanics at existing stations in order to hire mechanics at DAL?

Or is that WN was hiring mechanics - as most airlines are doing - and the WA has nothing to do with an increase in maintenance hiring this year at all? 

Until WN increases its total fleet, WN is simply moving assets, including maintenance staff around.

this isn't rocket science.  If you think it takes being in the industry in order to understand  these basic facts, then I truly pity you for your sense of protectionism on this board. 

...The only person talking about staffing at a systemic level is you.

The OP noted the increase in flight activity at DAL, and how it may drive incremental AMT staffing there specifically. You wanna keep going down this rabbit hole, go right ahead, but you're going solo.

That's not an issue of rocket science; it's one of comprehension...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back