First 757 to outsourced MRO

Well said. As far as giving 25% MORE to ensure safety, how about the FAA doing their f&^%ing job and visiting these places and inspecting and fineing them? I guess nobody that works for the FAA has a passport. But that is what big business is all about today. Our management cannot manage so they hire consultants to tell them how. It has not worked yet, but they continue. How about getting rid of all of management and hiring people who want to and are willing to try to run and airline? That, seems to me, would save lots of money.

They don't inspect these facilities in China,It's communist remember you do what they say....when they say....or you don't get invited.

In my opinion:

A 757 Heavy "C" Check costs an average of $1.2-$1.4 million.

at TIMCO they are about $1.3 million?
Parts: TIMCO buys anything uder $1000.00 and everything else is brought by the company?
Late: If a Heavy "C" Check there is no penalty if a check is late?
Support: The company pays for Tech Crew Chiefs, Inspections and Engineering?

757 clears approximately $18000.00 a day at $540000 per month?

Mechanic Wages w/ benefits in the industry, $47/HR?

When overhead is added in the mechanic rate is placed at $107.00/HR.

In my opinion:

A 757 Heavy "C" Check costs an average of $1.2-$1.4 million.
AA says that a narrowbody heavy C check requires 20,000 hours to 30,000 hours and takes 3 to 5 weeks. If the internal costs per hour are $100 (you mentioned $107/hr below), that totals $2 million to $3 million plus parts for an insourced heavy C check.

In my opinion:

A 757 Heavy "C" Check costs an average of $1.2-$1.4 .

AA says that a narrowbody heavy C check requires 20,000 hours to 30,000 hours and takes 3 to 5 weeks. If the internal costs per hour are $100 (you mentioned $107/hr below), that totals $2 million to $3 million plus parts for an insourced heavy C check.

I'm hearing the same numbers as Buck.

Maintenance program's change very substantial when outsourced. They have a lot of leeway to spin the savings,only to make it up at a later date. So to say it's cheaper may be misguided. Plus when I was in Tulsa they were bragging (Romano) that his c checks cost under 750k to perform. So really it matters how old the Aircraft is and hour's flown and the work required. A 5 year old aircraft requires alot less than a 22 yr old MD80 or 757. C checks took 2 weeks in 1991.22 YEARS LATER 3 TO 5. Spin it how ever you want,one things for sure no one will ever know...what the true cost is...

Maintenance program's change very substantial when outsourced. They have a lot of leeway to spin the savings,only to make it up at a later date. So to say it's cheaper may be misguided. Plus when I was in Tulsa they were bragging (Romano) that his c checks cost under 750k to perform. So really it matters how old the Aircraft is and hour's flown and the work required. A 5 year old aircraft
requires alot less than a 22 yr old MD80 or 757. C checks took 2 weeks in 1991.22 YEARS LATER 3 TO 5. Spin it how ever you want,one things for sure no one will ever know...what the true cost is...

"I don't have the answer to that..."
"I'll look into that" (doodle on his pc of paper)
"I don't know...no idea"
........is what we get a lot of at every "meeting" with mgt.

And I don't really think they do know. If they were to inquire about such confidential info, they'd probably be told "this doesn't concern you, get back to work". There's a very small circle of people privy to the numbers. But I guarantee you, THEY'VE GOT THE NUMBERS. And they've made up there minds.

"I don't know...no idea"

And I don't really think they do know. If they were to inquire about such confidential info, they'd probably be told "this doesn't concern you, get back to work". There's a very small circle of people privy to the numbers. But I guarantee you, THEY'VE GOT THE NUMBERS. And they've made up there minds.

I am not in the 757 group, however as a Crew Chief in the 737 group, I attend many meetings concerning production. Yesterday we were afforded the opportunity to be part of a After Action Review of a certain aircraft, that had problems making it on time. While informative, it basically was a review of what was in DWMS and in the end my thought was decesions are being made about aircraft production with little or no change from aircraft to aircraft. Every time an issue brought forth, concern is shown but not much is accomplished. The crew has the constant feeling of being punished on a daily basis.
And they have the numbers, yes, however I have learned that they do not always have all of the facts. The problems that are brought to the attention are outside the maintenance span of control.

One other thing. When a certain Dock manger was asked by a fleet manager about his production issues, the dock manager made the fleet manager aware of the situation, by stating a very important fact.

The people on his dock, are low in seniority and the effects of the bankruptcy filing will devastate his dock by 95%.

I am not in the 757 group, however as a Crew Chief in the 737 group, I attend many meetings concerning production. Yesterday we were afforded the opportunity to be part of a After Action Review of a certain aircraft, that had problems making it on time. While informative, it basically was a review of what was in DWMS and in the end my thought was decesions are being made about aircraft production with little or no change from aircraft to aircraft. Every time an issue brought forth, concern is shown but not much is accomplished. The crew has the constant feeling of being punished on a daily basis.
And they have the numbers, yes, however I have learned that they do not always have all of the facts. The problems that are brought to the attention are outside the maintenance span of control.

One other thing. When a certain Dock manger was asked by a fleet manager about his production issues, the dock manager made the fleet manager aware of the situation, by stating a very important fact.

The people on his dock, are low in seniority and the effects of the bankruptcy filing will devastate his dock by 95%.
this has nothing to do with the 757 mro, except to talk about how the company fudges the numbers.....

MD 80 B check bid has 15-17 mechanics (those numbers haven't changed in 20 years at ORD).

737 B check about the same, sometimes less.

Now, isn't it interesting that the company wants to layoff 24 mechanics if one B-check is outsourced. So, why hasn't the union forced the company to put 24 heads on the bid??? I believe in LGA they do MD-80 B checks with even less mechanics than ORD.

Or is 24 the number of mechanics AAR is charging AA to do the B-checks???? And if so, why wouldn't the company keep the b-checks in house knowing it can be done with fewer guys and WE get those b-checks out on time 99% of the time??

All of you that agree that somethings are better off not posted on this forum raise your hand?
All of those oppose, "shut your piehole"!

"I don't know...no idea"

You must work for Troy S.

Latest posts

Back