Flight Attendants Analysis Of Aa'S Problems!

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/story/10920078/1/american-flight-attendants-visit-analysts.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

First of all, Laura Glading is the president of the APFA and not the AFA as stated in the article.

Secondly, if AA wants to apply flight attendant costs at other airlines to AA, then lets take other airlines operations, ie....hubs, aircraft type and costs, fuel hedging, and all other aspects of their structure and apply it to AA and see if AA would have made money this year. It is all too easy to just blame labor.

First of all, Laura Glading is the president of the APFA and not the AFA as stated in the article.

Secondly, if AA wants to apply flight attendant costs at other airlines to AA, then lets take other airlines operations, ie....hubs, aircraft type and costs, fuel hedging, and all other aspects of their structure and apply it to AA and see if AA would have made money this year. It is all too easy to just blame labor.

Perhaps AA could consider slashing NRSA privileges and reduce them down to commuting, deadheading and an annual limit of D2 and D3 Y-class only passes. Since NRSA privileges are non-contractual, AA should consider eliminating them with out going through the APFA/TWU/APA negotiating teams. This would quickly eliminate many expensive and disgruntled employees and allow new people on the property.

Josh

Perhaps AA could consider slashing NRSA privileges and reduce them down to commuting, deadheading and an annual limit of D2 and D3 Y-class only passes. Since NRSA privileges are non-contractual, AA should consider eliminating them with out going through the APFA/TWU/APA negotiating teams. This would quickly eliminate many expensive and disgruntled employees and allow new people on the property.

Josh

Great idea! So the new people would be joing AA for what purpose? No pension..No flight benefits, increased medical contributions, so-so- to low wages......
Yea..AA a great place to work!

Josh

AA is already limiting non rev travel by default. You tried to non rev recently with the excessive load factors? There are not many seats available for D2-D3 travel on most flights.
Robert Crandall stated in a speech in the last 24 months that it is ridiculous to operate an airline with load factors this high. AA made record PROFITS in the 1990's with 67% load factors. The premise is simple: When this much product is already sold and you are in the business of selling product[seats] this means you do not have ENOUGH product available for sale.

My link

Great idea! So the new people would be joing AA for what purpose? No pension..No flight benefits, increased medical contributions, so-so- to low wages......
Yea..AA a great place to work!

Hmmm something called a J-O-B that pays a a very generous hourly wage and would provide health care benefits, 401K, flight privileges, and more. Perhaps unionists are immune to the marketplace and are living under a rock, but our nation has 9.5% unemployment currently and many states that AA has significant operations-namely CA, IL, MO are significantly above the national average and would easily attract workers to complete the 6 week training and work as FAs. When you have people with Wharton MBAs working as bank tellers at B of A, and 85,000 applications for 1,000 positions at Delta there are clearly folks actively seeking those jobs. Fortunately, I have a stable career and my employment and compensation haven't been effected by the economic downturn but I realize many have fared as well.

Josh

Hmmm something called a J-O-B that pays a a very generous hourly wage and would provide health care benefits, 401K, flight privileges, and more. Perhaps unionists are immune to the marketplace and are living under a rock, but our nation has 9.5% unemployment currently and many states that AA has significant operations-namely CA, IL, MO are significantly above the national average and would easily attract workers to complete the 6 week training and work as FAs. When you have people with Wharton MBAs working as bank tellers at B of A, and 85,000 applications for 1,000 positions at Delta there are clearly folks actively seeking those jobs. Fortunately, I have a stable career and my employment and compensation haven't been effected by the economic downturn but I realize many have fared as well.

Josh

You obviously are not fully aware what was in our rejected T/A...New people would not be enjoying all those wonderful things you mentioned.

AA is already limiting non rev travel by default. You tried to non rev recently with the excessive load factors? There are not many seats available for D2-D3 travel on most flights.
Robert Crandall stated in a speech in the last 12 months that it is ridiculous to operate an airline with load factors this high. AA made record PROFITS in the 1990's with 67% load factors. The premise is simple: When this much product is already sold and you are in the business of selling product[seats] this means you do not have ENOUGH product available for sale.

So are you saying AA's profitability would INCREASE if capacity increased? All that would do is increase costs and likely drive down fares and make the airline worse off. Furthermore, adding capacity would likely depress fares further as AA will need to fill those additional seats. Nothing is forever, and just because AA can lead the industry in the 1990s-early 2000s doesn't mean it will work in 2010 and onward. In November 1998, a barrel of light sweet crude was $13 compared with $86 today, and $157.47 in recent history. Other costs have also increased since that time.

Regardless, per discussions with the purser on my recent flights, LAX-JFK had 6 NRSAs in F-class earlier this week; BOS-LHR had 7 in J-class last month. It seems many of my recent flights have gone out near full, but there usual seems to be room for some of the non-revs. Granted, NRSAs in F on 2-class flights is a rare occurrence but I have enjoyed a 757 on AA 223 7:25PM BOS-LAX with NRSAs. I only found this out because the kind purser approached another passenger and myself for meal orders (I was seated in 3D) and it was even flight #, LAX-JFK)

Josh

So are you saying AA's profitability would INCREASE if capacity increased? All that would do is increase costs and likely drive down fares and make the airline worse off. Furthermore, adding capacity would likely depress fares further as AA will need to fill those additional seats. Nothing is forever, and just because AA can lead the industry in the 1990s-early 2000s doesn't mean it will work in 2010 and onward. In November 1998, a barrel of light sweet crude was $13 compared with $86 today, and $157.47 in recent history. Other costs have also increased since that time.

Regardless, per discussions with the purser on my recent flights, LAX-JFK had 6 NRSAs in F-class earlier this week; BOS-LHR had 7 in J-class last month. It seems many of my recent flights have gone out near full, but there usual seems to be room for some of the non-revs. Granted, NRSAs in F on 2-class flights is a rare occurrence but I have enjoyed a 757 on AA 223 7:25PM BOS-LAX with NRSAs. I only found this out because the kind purser approached another passenger and myself for meal orders (I was seated in 3D) and it was even flight #, LAX-JFK)

Josh

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

Read one of the most successful airline CEO 's opinion on this matter.

My link

The proof is in the Numbers. AS the Load factors have increased at AA so have the financial losses. Do you realize how much money AA has reportedly lost @ AA SINCE 2001? Fuel prices always go up and down no matter what the load factors are.

Fortunately, I have a stable career and my employment and compensation haven't been effected by the economic downturn but I realize many have fared as well.

So that gives you the right to be patronizing and condescending toward airline employees? Should we all start debating your compensation package including your fringe benefits.

Regardless, per discussions with the purser on my recent flights, LAX-JFK had 6 NRSAs in F-class earlier this week.

That is propriety information. Divulging such information or identifying oneself as a pass rider is a serious breach of company rules.

So that gives you the right to be patronizing and condescending toward airline employees? Should we all start debating your compensation package including your fringe benefits.

That is propriety information. Divulging such information or identifying oneself as a pass rider is a serious breach of company rules.

I am always shocked at the lack of respect for the f/a position. I think the original poster would be surprised at the level of education the f/as have and the ability for continuing education is a wonderful aspect of the job. As my husband once said to someone making cracks about my perceived salary, "Well, she was smart enough to apply and be hired the job" "Back in the day", both PanAm and TWA recruited from colleges. I went to Hollins in Va. and that is where I got my start with PanAm. I was one of the few from the south. Most were from the 7 sister schools. (Smith, Vassar, et al) We all spoke multiple languages and brought a lot to the table.

Now for the comment on the reduction of NRSA passes. That can hardly be considered a benefit these days. I NEVER fly NRSA because with the current load factors it just isn't worth my time. And healthcare benefits can be changed at a moments notice. Certainly not a reason to base a decision to retire upon. The reason there are so many chomping at the bit to be hired is NOT because of the 9% unemployment rate. It is simply because of the "myth" of the f/a job. People still believe the glamour, dating the stars, 2 day layovers, special treatment, best of the best myth. Unfortunately, when they find it is simply a job, they are sad, mad and disillusioned. And add to that comments such as the ones made on this thread and the total lack of respect at the bargaining table and you have a recipe for discontent.

Is being a f/a the hardest job in the world? Certainly not. But, you cannot compare it to 9-5 traditional jobs. Apples and oranges. Both are fruits but that is where the similarities end. Would I want to go back to flying? NO! Not in today's environment. I miss the "before" not what the job is today. I admire anyone who is willing to stick it out and by the astonishing % of recalls returning, there must be a lot of jet fuel still in those old veins. Also, those returning have 35 to 40+ years in the industry and have liked the non traditional work style for all of their sdult lives.

Personally, I think the contracts will be signed in the near future. AA does not want to have labor problems hanging over their heads. The mistake that was made by the unions was not getting snapbacks in 2003...but that is another story.

The mistake that was made by the unions was not getting snapbacks in 2003...but that is another story.

Interesting point. The unions have been so company oriented and docile that, in the case of the TWU, asking for a "snapback clause" and "retro-pay" would just have hurt the company too much down the road. Their logic was that by backing off those demands, the company would do the decent thing and restore concessions when the time came.

Well, heading into to the 8th year of concessions, restore is the mimimum acceptable offer.
And there are those who still think that asking to be restored to a 2001 contract is unreasonable and greedy.
Almost 10 years since those levels, and asking to be restored is simply beyond belief to some.

Quote:

Personally, I think the contracts will be signed in the near future. AA does not want to have labor problems hanging over their heads. The mistake that was made by the unions was not getting snapbacks in 2003...but that is another story.

For the umpteenth time, it was either give the company what they wanted...and they got it all....or they would file for bankruptcy. They would not agree to snapbacks for anyone...TWU, APFA, APA or non-union. It is as simple as that.

And as for you 737823......mind your own business. I'm tired of your uneducated and outsiders opinion.

Telebenders premise is a little off. AA is not offering insufficient capacity they aren't charging enough. AS -823 points out all costs have increased since 2002 (expect labor). Revenue should increase in somewhat proportion instead of trying to fill every seat with rock bottom last minute fares.

For the umpteenth time, it was either give the company what they wanted...and they got it all....or they would file for bankruptcy. They would not agree to snapbacks for anyone...TWU, APFA, APA or non-union. It is as simple as that.

Exactly. "Permanent structural change" was the catch-phrase at the time. Temporary structural change wasn't an option.

As for dealing with those who should be ignored... if you go to the top control bar, there's a "manage ignored users" function. It's done wonders for my irritation level lately. And I really don't mind if you choose ignore me.

View attachment 8861

Back