FLIGHT ATTENDANTS NOT ALLOWED TO STRIKE

Basically you're right, forced labor for now unless sympathy or wildcat striking is used.

Barring any decision that permits AFA to strike, AFA needs to be released from mediation from the NMB to start the 30 day cooling off period, then self help is possible. Since AFA says it is going appeal Marrero's decision, the whole issue is going to be tied up in legal wrangling for some time to come.

IMHO, sitting around waiting for decisions from federal courts, and letting Section 6 of the RLA means valuable leverage is given up. With the holiday travel season coming up soon, the NWA FA's need to take matters in their own hands.

So is this now forced labor?

Yes basically it is forced labor! Even with pay and benefits cuts that were "forced" upon the NWA FA's, no senior NWA FA can just walk out the NWA's door and find work that pays significantly more unless he or she has college degrees and other skills that are needed in our economy. Some FA's are lucky enough to have such choices, many do not. Service sector jobs are notoriously low wage. In effect, they are forced to stay because even lower wages with little or no benefits wait for them on the streets.

What is happening here is yet another example of how the corporatocracy is trying to stamp out the middle class, and decent paying jobs. Until the subject of living wages and benefits becomes front center in America's conscience, then maybe there will be a chance to reverse current trends. Until then, are workers and their unions going to make NWA the flashpoint of action?

Exactly, so why the "forced labor" talk. No individual FA is "forced" to stay at NWA.

FA's can quit(resign) any time they want. They have been to the tune of 50-75 per month over the last few months. So, obviously, there is no "forced labor" here.
:blink: gee finnie is this not excatly what your master wants them to do?

"industry competitive" does not mean livable wages. FA's are breadwinners too. They have house payments, car payments, children to support, and all of the expenses surrounding the raising of children. Just because the airline industry has gotten away with eroding the FA standard of living does not make it right.

I think my "master" would prefer the FA's accept the industry competetive wage and work rules that they are currently working under.

Service sector jobs are notoriously low wage.

Duh. That's because service sector jobs aren't intended to be career positions. The fact that people in the airline industry have decided to make it a career is irrelevant.

"industry competitive" does not mean livable wages. FA's are breadwinners too. They have house payments, car payments, children to support, and all of the expenses surrounding the raising of children. Just because the airline industry has gotten away with eroding the FA standard of living does not make it right.
I'd say $30-$38K per year (based on $30-$38/hr pay rate * 85 hours per month) is a livable wage. The most recent census burea information places a $37,500 income in the 63rd perctentile for those with a HS degree, and in the 46th percentile for those with an associate degree. (To clarify here, the 100th percentile would be the top paying percentile for that education level grouping) This doesn't take into account the fact that FA's only work 12-14 days per month, which is much less than a typical full time job.

I'd say $30-$38K per year (based on $30-$38/hr pay rate * 85 hours per month) is a livable wage. The most recent census burea information places a $37,500 income in the 63rd perctentile for those with a HS degree, and in the 46th percentile for those with an associate degree. (To clarify here, the 100th percentile would be the top paying percentile for that education level grouping) This doesn't take into account the fact that FA's only work 12-14 days per month, which is much less than a typical full time job.
Sorry to reply to myself, but here's the link to the 2005 census results for age 35-44 full time workers by education level. Just in case you want to check my math, which could be off by a percent or two.

http://pubdb3.census.gov/macro/032005/perinc/new03_064.htm

As far as the 12-14 days worked per month I quoted above, let me explain and revise that estimate:

Based on the detail scheduling information for the time period Sep2004 - Aug05, FA's averaged about 74 monthly pay hours on an average of 12.4 work days (total days away from home). With the new contract bumping up the minumum hours such that 85 monthly pay hours should be the new average, that equates to a couple extra days of work. As such, the new average should be around 14.5 work days per month, rather than the 12-14 I quoted previously. It's still not full time by any means, but I strive for accuracy in my reporting.

........ for those with a HS degree, and ...... for those with an associate degree.

When did high schools start giving "degrees"? When I graduated we got a diploma. And what the hell is an "associate" degree. I am only familiar with degrees granted by colleges and universities and they are named Bachelor, Master and Doctor.

Maybe I am behind the times; but I don't want the Degrees I received after years of hard university study, exams and written thesis to be minimized by being lumped with the product of a high school.

When did high schools start giving "degrees"? When I graduated we got a diploma. And what the hell is an "associate" degree. I am only familiar with degrees granted by colleges and universities and they are named Bachelor, Master and Doctor.

Maybe I am behind the times; but I don't want the Degrees I received after years of hard university study, exams and written thesis to be minimized by being lumped with the product of a high school.
Sorry for confusion. The categories are HS Diploma and associates degree (generally a two year, trade related degree). I was using those as comparisons because that is the education range that I presume most FA's fall into. There may be some with a bachelors degree, but obviously that education level is not needed to be an FA.

And what the hell is an "associate" degree. I am only familiar with degrees granted by colleges and universities and they are named Bachelor, Master and Doctor.

Upsilon, sorry to interrupt your rant on finman, but there are such things as Associate degrees (I should know - I have one along with a B.S. from Purdue). They are usually earned after two years in a field of study. To make themselves more marketable to prospective employers, most people choose to continue on with their education for two more years and receive a Bachelors degree.

Anyway, let's get this thread back on topic...

Latest posts