Forbes: Nw Saves Its Skin

whlinder

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
IAD
Link to article

Some interesting pieces from the article:

Northwest shares jumped 28 cents, or 5.2%, to $5.66 on Monday, as Wall Street applauded the company's cost-cutting action.

----

"These are licensed mechanics," Boyd said of the replacements. "The operation is as safe as it was five days ago." He said sky-high fuel prices give Northwest and its major competitors little choice but to look to labor to trim costs. And once that's accomplished, the majors should finally be primed for a long-awaited round of sales and earnings growth.

Northwest is paying the replacements an average of $26.53 an hour--about 20% less than its unionized workers. It's looking for the mechanics, cleaners, and custodians to be a source of $176 million in labor givebacks, about 20% of the total it's targeting.

AMFA members are walking the picket lines without the support of pilots and flight attendants, who belong to unions that experts say have a better grasp on the realities of bargaining against the backdrop of looming bankruptcy. The pilots' union has already agreed with Northwest on a 15% wage cut.

"Pilots understand that bankruptcy means their pension is gone," Boyd said.

Others underscored the power-sharing arrangement among labor groups that work for airlines, an industry whose workers are divided into several unions.

"That makes it difficult for any one of them to wield much influence; it's easier for a company to play one off against another," said labor expert Ken Jacobs, deputy chair of the Cal-Berkley Research Center. He said AMFA's 1998 decision to break off from the International Association of Mechanics--part of the AFL-CIO--clearly backfired.

"This is when they could have used more solidarity," Jacobs said. And with Northwest's strategy being watched closely by others, its ability to break the mechanics' union figures to spur more cost savings for airlines and fewer union jobs for workers.

"This could have big repercussions," Jacobs said.

We have been telling Amfa this for many years. It seems Amfa is always in the wrong place wrong time. If you listen to their leader, he's always talking in the past. 60's were much different! It doesn't work in todays environment.

Thats why the majority at Eagle and some of the others Airlines have not signed cards.

Checking it Out said:
We have been telling Amfa this for many years. It seems Amfa is always in the wrong place wrong time. If you listen to their leader, he's always talking in the past. 60's were much different! It doesn't work in todays environment.

Thats why the majority at Eagle and some of the others Airlines have not signed cards.
[post="291225"][/post]​

Did the majority sign cards at Eagle?

No.

How did the TWU do at Continental?

The TWU's only hope is to prevent elections because even as Bobby Gless admitted they cant win them.

Mr Jacobs forgets that when the mechanics broke away from the IAM their pay went up by $10/hr despite massive interference from the NMB.

Bob Owens said:
Mr Jacobs forgets that when the mechanics broke away from the IAM their pay went up by $10/hr despite massive interference from the NMB.
[post="291234"][/post]​
and quite quickly their numbers went down rather suddenly.
PATCO
PATCO
PATCO
PATCO
PATCO
PATCO
Sayonara

delldude said:
and quite quickly their numbers went down rather suddenly.
PATCO
PATCO
PATCO
PATCO
PATCO
PATCO
Sayonara
[post="291247"][/post]​

Patience.

Most MELS are only good for 10 days.

The learning curve takes years. So in between the 10 days and the learning curve NWA stands to lose a lot of money through cancellations and delays.

I would rather see it go down quickly than erode over time. It makes it easier to move on if thats what it comes to.

My guess is that financially the average NWA striker is still better off than I am. The extra 2 years at top pay gave them the opportunity to put away a lot more for today whereas I've been slowly sinking deeper into debt. Our real pay continues to decline due to the fact that our adjustments are less than half the rate of inflation. Our concessions came quickly with very little warning. In fact a few months earlier the company was claiming that they were doing OK. NWA has been calling for concessions for two years. Just as the company was preparing so were the mechanics.

If you were given the opportunity to earn $100k (including benifits)a year but be laid off every other year or $50k(including benifits) a year but work steady which would you chose? With the $100 k you could find other sources of income when you are laid off but with the $50k you cant because you can only be at one place at a time, especially now with the hand scanners.

whlinder said:
Link to article

----

"These are licensed mechanics," Boyd said of the replacements. "The operation is as safe as it was five days ago."
[post="291210"][/post]​

I sure would disagree and so would my buddy at MSP. I stopped by last night and poked my head in the door of the local NWA hangar to see for myself what was going on. It looked like an A&P school class. All but a couple people looked like the ink was still wet on their license and they all just kind of milled around looking tense and confused. After talking to a couple guys that had a chance to actually watch them in action it is clear that they don't know what they are doing. It is obvious to these guys who know what they are looking at that they aren't running some of the checks correctly. They also don't make kick off times in the morning.

My buddy at MSP said that it is just the opposite. He said that there is a large percentage of extremely old guys working up there. He didn't know how some of them could even manage holding a wrench let alone turning it with any torque. But he did agree that the look of confusion was present there also.

If these guys are getting the planes out it scares me to think what they are overlooking to do it.

whlinder said:
Link to article

Some interesting pieces from the article:
Northwest shares jumped 28 cents, or 5.2%, to $5.66 on Monday, as Wall Street applauded the company's cost-cutting action.

----

"These are licensed mechanics," Boyd said of the replacements. "The operation is as safe as it was five days ago." He said sky-high fuel prices give Northwest and its major competitors little choice but to look to labor to trim costs. And once that's accomplished, the majors should finally be primed for a long-awaited round of sales and earnings growth.

Northwest is paying the replacements an average of $26.53 an hour--about 20% less than its unionized workers. It's looking for the mechanics, cleaners, and custodians to be a source of $176 million in labor givebacks, about 20% of the total it's targeting.

AMFA members are walking the picket lines without the support of pilots and flight attendants, who belong to unions that experts say have a better grasp on the realities of bargaining against the backdrop of looming bankruptcy. The pilots' union has already agreed with Northwest on a 15% wage cut.

"Pilots understand that bankruptcy means their pension is gone," Boyd said.

Others underscored the power-sharing arrangement among labor groups that work for airlines, an industry whose workers are divided into several unions.

"That makes it difficult for any one of them to wield much influence; it's easier for a company to play one off against another," said labor expert Ken Jacobs, deputy chair of the Cal-Berkley Research Center. He said AMFA's 1998 decision to break off from the International Association of Mechanics--part of the AFL-CIO--clearly backfired.

"This is when they could have used more solidarity," Jacobs said. And with Northwest's strategy being watched closely by others, its ability to break the mechanics' union figures to spur more cost savings for airlines and fewer union jobs for workers.

"This could have big repercussions," Jacobs said.
[post="291210"][/post]​
Would the union be interested in a turnkey tax savings plan that would save $100 million to $175 million annually with no direct cost to the company and no net cost to the members as a way to offset most the $179 million concession the company demands?

will fix for food said:
I sure would disagree and so would my buddy at MSP. I stopped by last night and poked my head in the door of the local NWA hangar to see for myself what was going on. It looked like an A&P school class. All but a couple people looked like the ink was still wet on their license and they all just kind of milled around looking tense and confused. After talking to a couple guys that had a chance to actually watch them in action it is clear that they don't know what they are doing. It is obvious to these guys who know what they are looking at that they aren't running some of the checks correctly. They also don't make kick off times in the morning.

My buddy at MSP said that it is just the opposite. He said that there is a large percentage of extremely old guys working up there. He didn't know how some of them could even manage holding a wrench let alone turning it with any torque. But he did agree that the look of confusion was present there also.

If these guys are getting the planes out it scares me to think what they are overlooking to do it.
[post="291276"][/post]​
bottom line is they may stumble but they'll take their lumps and get by .
nwa lookin' to bust the union....dig in dudes!

will fix for food said:

[post="291276"][/post]​

Yes the MEL was rising but I think it should stabilize now. We are slowly getting them worked off. Do keep in mind that we had nothing to work with here. we have spent better than a thousand man hours reorganizing this place. Parts were hidden put in the wrong bins or flat out thrown away. Once the inventory is back in place Mel's will be brought back down to normal.

These mechanics are doing a very good job especially under the circumstances. Pilots are writing every gig they can imagine, but these aircraft are still flying.

Keep in mind a pilot can refuse to fly any aircraft at any time. It is ultimately the pilots choice to fly an aircraft. If he feels the aircraft is unsafe it doesn’t leave the terminal.

keeptheodds said:

Yes the MEL was rising but I think it should stabilize now. We are slowly getting them worked off. Do keep in mind that we had nothing to work with here. we have spent better than  a thousand man hours reorganizing this place. Parts were hidden put in the wrong bins or flat out thrown away. Once the inventory is back in place Mel's will be brought back down to normal.

These mechanics are doing a very good job especially under the circumstances. Pilots are writing every gig they can imagine, but these aircraft are still flying.

Keep in mind a pilot can refuse to fly any aircraft at any time. It is ultimately the pilots choice to fly an aircraft. If he feels the aircraft is unsafe it doesn’t leave the terminal.

[post="291373"][/post]​

So you contradict earlier reports that during the final days before the strike the mechanics had written up minor items but the number of MELs were going down, so what is it, are they going up or down?

Wasnt the claim also made that Pilots were even cleaning the cabin in an effort to get the planes out? Now you are claiming they are 'writing every gig they can imagine".

keeptheodds said:

The statement is true, but how many times has a legal MEL been applied and the pilot throws a fit and refuses to fly the A/C. The result is usually a call from the Chief Pilot or in extreme cases a new crew is brought to take the A/C? Opinions differ.

Latest posts

Back