Fun contest! Guess where NWA's next "incident" will be!

This might explain the reason why the reported incident numbers do not reflect the real state of affairs in the airline industry...
http://www.amfa33.org/kedigh_reports.htm

A very interesting read (but I'm sure that finman will find some fault with it :down: )
Very interesting. Thanks for the link. It looks like the FAA dbase is not a reliable source after all. That's too bad, since a complete historical database is really the only way to benchmark and measure the frequency of these incidents. Thanks again.

Very interesting. Thanks for the link. It looks like the FAA dbase is not a reliable source after all. That's too bad, since a complete historical database is really the only way to benchmark and measure the frequency of these incidents. Thanks again.
During six years as inspector general of the Transportation Department, Mary Schiavo earned a reputation for blunt unfiltered criticism of the Federal Aviation Administration, the agency charged with assuring the Nations air travel safety.

The former assistant U.S. Attorney earned the nickname "scary mary" for repeated warnings about flight safety. Schiavo resigned in 1996 after the FAA moved toward classifying a report she issued taking the agency to task for lax security. A professor of aviation at Ohio State University schiavo remains appalled by airport security in the wake of the 9/11 hijackings.

"Flying Blind, Flying Safe" By Mary Schiavo
Review:

Mary Fackler Schiavo is a genuine crusader for aviation safety. She dares to share the shocking truth concerning the FAA and "business as usual" in Washington, DC. This is a "must read" before your next flight. Take advantage of her experience to make your next trip safer. Learn about the inner workings of the FAA with industry and how recommendations of the NTSB are ignored or delayed, denying improved safety for all aviation passengers. The book's descriptive chapter titles speak for themselves.

From the Book's Table of Contents:
Introduction: The ValuJet Tragedy
Chapter 1: Who Does the FAA Work for, Anyway? Not you.
Chapter 2: The Plane Truth
Chapter 3: The Tombstone Agency
Chapter 4: Business As Usual
Chapter 5: See No Evil: Bogus Parts
Chapter 6: Cash Cows: Where your Airport Money Went
Chapter 7: Relative Truth: CULT-ure at the FAA
Chapter 8: The Second Greatest Thrill
Chapter 9: Who Watches the Manufacturers
Chapter 10: TWA Flight 800
Chapter 11: There's No Such Thing As "Safety" at the FAA
Chapter 12: Airplanes
Chapter 13: Airlines
Chapter 14: Airports
Chapter 15: Straighten Up and Fly Right
Chapter 16: Flying Healthy
Chapter 17: Weather
Chapter 18: When You Have to Fight
Chapter 19: Silencing the Watchdog
Epilogue If We Really Want Change....
Help Yourself
Chapter Notes

From the publisher:

"Mary Schiavo, the former inspector General of the US Department of Transportation, has written a scathing expose of the fraud, corruption, waste, mismanagement, and dangerous negligence that runs rampant throughout the aviation industry and its ineffectual "policing" organization, the FAA. At the same time, she offers sane and valuable information and advice that will enable travelers to increase their safety in the air. This is an essential work by the ultimate insider; a book that must be read by anyone who flies."

From the book jacket....

"Mary Schiavo, the Transportation Department inspector general, was not a conventional government watchdog. For one thing, she barked....After [The Secretary of Transportation] insisted that ValuJet was safe, Ms. Schiavo produced contrary evidence from the government files. The FAA later shut the airline down....he has been...a force for safer skies."
--------The New York Times

"Enough 'tombstones' at FAA; get on with the job....The agency needs a....review of its methods of enforcing safety....Of particular concern should be issues raised by Schiavo."
--------USA Today

"Credit Schiavo as a vital catalyst for needed changes in air safety....Her six years as inspector general culminated in what any fair observer would conclude was an impressively sturdy stand in the true public interest."
--------Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel

"Mary Fackler Schiavo should be hailed as a hero....The American people should give her a hearty thanks for that rare quality she brought to public service----honesty."
--------The Phoenix Gazette

"Sometimes a bureaucracy needs people like Mary Schiavo .... Subsequent revelations have proved that Schiavo knew what she was talking about."
--------The Atlanta Constitution

"Schiavo is a brave, honest government inspector who has withstood incredible pressure from the DOT and the FAA, and deserves to be respected for doing her job."
--------The Indianapolis Star

"When the Transportation Department's own inspector general, Mary Fackler Schiavo, herself a pilot, is moved to warn of 'serious deficiencies in airline inspections, parts and training and in the air traffic control system,' Congress, the administration, and the industry should pay attention."
---------The Washington Post

"an incisive primer on what ails the aviation industry and the fed's regulation of it."
---------Business Week

During six years as inspector general of the Transportation Department, Mary Schiavo earned a reputation for blunt unfiltered criticism of the Federal Aviation Administration, the agency charged with assuring the Nations air travel safety.

The former assistant U.S. Attorney earned the nickname "scary mary" for repeated warnings about flight safety. Schiavo resigned in 1996 after the FAA moved toward classifying a report she issued taking the agency to task for lax security. A professor of aviation at Ohio State University schiavo remains appalled by airport security in the wake of the 9/11 hijackings.

"Flying Blind, Flying Safe" By Mary Schiavo
Review:

Mary Fackler Schiavo is a genuine crusader for aviation safety. She dares to share the shocking truth concerning the FAA and "business as usual" in Washington, DC. This is a "must read" before your next flight. Take advantage of her experience to make your next trip safer. Learn about the inner workings of the FAA with industry and how recommendations of the NTSB are ignored or delayed, denying improved safety for all aviation passengers. The book's descriptive chapter titles speak for themselves.

From the Book's Table of Contents:
Introduction: The ValuJet Tragedy
Chapter 1: Who Does the FAA Work for, Anyway? Not you.
Chapter 2: The Plane Truth
Chapter 3: The Tombstone Agency
Chapter 4: Business As Usual
Chapter 5: See No Evil: Bogus Parts
Chapter 6: Cash Cows: Where your Airport Money Went
Chapter 7: Relative Truth: CULT-ure at the FAA
Chapter 8: The Second Greatest Thrill
Chapter 9: Who Watches the Manufacturers
Chapter 10: TWA Flight 800
Chapter 11: There's No Such Thing As "Safety" at the FAA
Chapter 12: Airplanes
Chapter 13: Airlines
Chapter 14: Airports
Chapter 15: Straighten Up and Fly Right
Chapter 16: Flying Healthy
Chapter 17: Weather
Chapter 18: When You Have to Fight
Chapter 19: Silencing the Watchdog
Epilogue If We Really Want Change....
Help Yourself
Chapter Notes

From the publisher:

"Mary Schiavo, the former inspector General of the US Department of Transportation, has written a scathing expose of the fraud, corruption, waste, mismanagement, and dangerous negligence that runs rampant throughout the aviation industry and its ineffectual "policing" organization, the FAA. At the same time, she offers sane and valuable information and advice that will enable travelers to increase their safety in the air. This is an essential work by the ultimate insider; a book that must be read by anyone who flies."

From the book jacket....

"Mary Schiavo, the Transportation Department inspector general, was not a conventional government watchdog. For one thing, she barked....After [The Secretary of Transportation] insisted that ValuJet was safe, Ms. Schiavo produced contrary evidence from the government files. The FAA later shut the airline down....he has been...a force for safer skies."
--------The New York Times

"Enough 'tombstones' at FAA; get on with the job....The agency needs a....review of its methods of enforcing safety....Of particular concern should be issues raised by Schiavo."
--------USA Today

"Credit Schiavo as a vital catalyst for needed changes in air safety....Her six years as inspector general culminated in what any fair observer would conclude was an impressively sturdy stand in the true public interest."
--------Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel

"Mary Fackler Schiavo should be hailed as a hero....The American people should give her a hearty thanks for that rare quality she brought to public service----honesty."
--------The Phoenix Gazette

"Sometimes a bureaucracy needs people like Mary Schiavo .... Subsequent revelations have proved that Schiavo knew what she was talking about."
--------The Atlanta Constitution

"Schiavo is a brave, honest government inspector who has withstood incredible pressure from the DOT and the FAA, and deserves to be respected for doing her job."
--------The Indianapolis Star

"When the Transportation Department's own inspector general, Mary Fackler Schiavo, herself a pilot, is moved to warn of 'serious deficiencies in airline inspections, parts and training and in the air traffic control system,' Congress, the administration, and the industry should pay attention."
---------The Washington Post

"an incisive primer on what ails the aviation industry and the fed's regulation of it."
---------Business Week

I remember a while ago thumbing through this book while awaiting a flight. Unfortunately never got around to reading it cover to cover. Local, your post has renewed my interest in finishing it. I gotta see if I can find a copy for sale.

Of course you are correct, as are all reasonable sorts, but it is no use. No debate possible with this long-time ( dud ) barb-throwing troll. It's just another ( dud ) hit and run attack disguised as meaningful discussion. This internet git never fails to dump on every labor group at every airline except UAL...long before this twerp used a UAL inspired avatar. Trolling twins with "dc3fanatic": Drop by to throw a dart...and run. Never a debate, nor follow up.

Geez, a NYTimes photog takes a great photo -- I choose to use it as an avatar -- and that ruffles you too??

I don't make incorrect assumptions about someone just because of a silly avatar. I don't work for UA either.

Fact is that I've been hardest on UAL and their labor (just ask fly or check my posts) because they have the greatest franchise and they are just blowing it.

Hey bozo, by post count alone I'm here more than you.

Debate anytime. I just do not believe that wagering on airline incidents is worthy of this board.

Hundreds of thousand people are killed in automobile accidents in this country. Are they all the fault of non-union labor? Of course not. Could they have been prevented if everyone only visited Mr.Goodwrench? Again, of course not.

Best thing that could have happened to US legacy carriers would have been if Congress had agreed two weeks ago to allow increased foreign ownership. The Germans would have kicked Jake Brace' arse.

Debate that.

Geez, a NYTimes photog takes a great photo -- I choose to use it as an avatar -- and that ruffles you too??

I don't make incorrect assumptions about someone just because of a silly avatar. I don't work for UA either.

Fact is that I've been hardest on UAL and their labor (just ask fly or check my posts) because they have the greatest franchise and they are just blowing it.

Debate anytime. I just do not believe that wagering on airline incidents is worthy of this board.

Hundreds of thousand people are killed in automobile accidents in this country. Are they all the fault of non-union labor? Of course not. Could they have been prevented if everyone only visited Mr.Goodwrench? Again, of course not.

Best thing that could have happened to US legacy carriers would have been if Congress had agreed two weeks ago to allow increased foreign ownership. The Germans would have kicked Jake Brace' arse.

Debate that.

Yeah yeah, roll out a pathetically transparent strawman about car crashes/union/non-union mechanics.

You then express indignation for "a great franchise going to hell" while pretty much every damn legacy carrier ( and a few LCC's ) have been, still are going to hell, or gone altogether. Labor's fault? ( I'll see your raise of hyperbole )

I've seen your posts for years. You do little more than throw barbs at every labor group you can, and in a manner most snotty and arrogant, all the while giving UAL wide berth. Yes. You do. Maybe you work there and maybe you don't Or you're perhaps to UAL what 'World Traveller' is to DAL? Or another armchair oiligarchist CEO? Fanboy? Go post on Airliners.net: Trust me...You'll reap rave reviews.

I remember a while ago thumbing through this book while awaiting a flight. Unfortunately never got around to reading it cover to cover. Local, your post has renewed my interest in finishing it. I gotta see if I can find a copy for sale.
Here is another good Read.

The Plane Truth: Airline Crashes, the Media, and Transportation Policy!
by Roger W. Cobb, David M. Primo

Debate that.
I'm not so sure I would agree here. The idea of foreign ownership doesnt exactly give me the warm fuzzies. Call me a xenophobe, but I prefer the decisions effecting so many American jobs be made IN America.

A Northwest Airlines plane made a successful emergency landing at Albany International Airport just after 1 p.m. on July 17.

Flight 1515 from Albany, N.Y., to Detroit had just taken off from the airport when the crew identified a problem with one of the DC-9's two engines. The crew decided to return to the airport.

While taxiing to the Northwest gate the aircraft experienced some problems with its braking system, according to Albany International Airport spokesman Doug Myers. The passengers left the aircraft on the runway and were bused to the main terminal and rebooked on other flights.

No one was injured. The aircraft will be out of service until repairs can be made.

It had been exactly three weeks since NW has had an emergency landing reported in the media - that has got to be the longest stretch of time between incidents for the SCAB maintenance that I can remember! :lol:

Now it looks like they are starting to "super-size" their incidents - an engine problem and a braking problem on the same aircraft... :eek:

Anyone else notice how this latest incident didn't even garner a response from one of NWA's propaganda ministers? I suppose that if they ignore the problem, it never really happened!

BTW, I'll have to go back through this thread to see who "won" this round of the contest...

Don Smith was the closest to the actual location with his guess of DTW - congrats Don! :up:

Anyone care to make a pick for round three?

Anyone else notice how this latest incident didn't even garner a response from one of NWA's propaganda ministers? I suppose that if they ignore the problem, it never really happened!
Hold your horses man, Im sure our favorite bootlick beany has something to add... :lol: I mean three weeks between declared emergency landings is something to cheer about! :up:

I mean three weeks between declared emergency landings is something to cheer about! :up:

I'm pretty sure that there have been others in the meantime, but it had to be published to count-hence the gap.

P.S. I'm not counting any emergency landing for passenger emergencies ala the 2 day YFB adventure this week....

wow. alb. may be thenext emergence landing will be say syr or roc.
wonder what kind of flame that ol pto scab will say this time about the super sizing of the scab maintained plane.

wonder how long or even if the plane will return to service?

Don Smith was the closest to the actual location with his guess of DTW - congrats Don! :up:

Anyone care to make a pick for round three?

Thanks Pete :lol: . I do wonder if the braking problem was tied to cutting the engine that was in question. Same problem they had when that DC-9 ran into the Airbus last year? Of course those records are removed from SCEPTER as soon as it happens.

Lets go west with the next pick to LAX. I'll still stick with wheel problems.

For this round, I'll go north of the border and pick an electrical system problem in YYZ :cold: