How to escape an A/C. Delta F/A's show you how. (Today Show)

Great segment!

Lots of people see you all as "Coke slingers." Hope pieces like this move to change that perception.

Like the reporter, I too, have always thought that being willing to open an exit meant agreeing to doing it yourself.

I'm surprised they never mentioned passengers making a mental note of how many rows (fwd & back) of seats there are between you and the nearest exit. That's one I picked up in ASSIST class a million years ago, and still do on every time I fly.

In a water evac. what if someone gets to the door, but can't swim? What's the protocol for that?

Kev3188 said:
Great segment!

I'm surprised they never mentioned passengers making a mental note of how many rows (fwd & back) of seats there are between you and the nearest exit. That's one I picked up in ASSIST class a million years ago, and still do on every time I fly.

In a water evac. what if someone gets to the door, but can't swim? What's the protocol for that?
 Agree, counting is very important IMO but as F/A's the only people we tell to count is the Visually impaired.
For the general customers during the safety demo, we just state "be aware the closest exit may be behind you"
As far as a water evac,  when they get to the door hopefully they have one of several things.
wearing a life vest, a slide that can be used as floatation, and a slide raft.  In the life raft (slide pack) we have
a life ring for those overboard who can't swim.

Reactions: 1 person
Good info, and thanks.

When we discussed counting in class, the idea was that we were visually impaired, most likely from a smoke filled cabin; counting would better help if following the voice commands of the FAs.

Counting both ways was to try and cement the idea that the closest exit might not be the best exit.

BABABOOY said:
Agree, counting is very important IMO but as F/A's the only people we tell to count is the Visually impaired. For the general customers during the safety demo, we just state "be aware the closest exit may be behind you" As far as a water evac,  when they get to the door hopefully they have one of several things. wearing a life vest, a slide that can be used as floatation, and a slide raft.  In the life raft (slide pack) we have a life ring for those overboard who can't swim.
Two more things to assist in a water evacuation: a seat cushion that doubles as a flotation device and, for those flying Southwest, a small child seated nearby, as WN FAs have repeatedly announced over the years that others' small children make excellent flotation aids in the unlikely event of a "water landing."

and I always found it striking that DL FAs had to make the announcement that the PUD L1011s (Pan Am, United, Delta) had seat cushions that COULD NOT BE used for flotation.

they also did not have individual air vents.

Clearly both were manufacturer options.

Yes, I forgot to add about "Most" seat cushions can be used.

I'm in the mind set of Delta One. where the 767,777.and 744 can not be used.
Also, ALL seats on the 739,75D,75H,75S,75Y or A330 can NOT be used as 
flotation devices.

flotation devices.
thanks for the list of aircraft where the seat cushion cannot be used.

I have never heard a DL FA make an announcement regarding what seat cushions can't be used - and again the surprise is not the aircraft that are used almost entirely for overland flights but those that are used overwater.

I'm sure that the life vests are what are used in most cases if they are needed but you have to wonder how much is involved in extra in weight or cost for a floating seat cushion

Good point on the seat cushions. I suspect that with more and more slimline-barely-padded seats being installed, that fewer and fewer of the cushions will be suitable for flotation.

BABABOOY said:

flotation devices.
We need more subfleets. Lol.

And just to clarify, DL FAs are still required to be qualified on all of them, correct?

Reactions: 2 people
FWAAA said:
Good point on the seat cushions. I suspect that with more and more slimline-barely-padded seats being installed, that fewer and fewer of the cushions will be suitable for flotation.
It doesn't matter as you can't carry a seat cushion, roller-board AND laptop while doing an emergency exit so the seat cushion is out of the list... :p

Reactions: 1 person