IAM Fleet Service thread 7/13-7/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concerning stations with east and west ramp, we are having a situation at our station and I am wondering how these things are being handled elsewhere.

Here goes: After the final TA was voted in, our station began to have west and east work one another's flights, work together in the bag room, etc. Everyone seemed happy or so it seemed... Sadly, someone on the east side of our ramp had some grief that west rampers were working east flights and a call was made to the union. The union ordered this behavior to cease and desist immediately until Operational Employee Integration (OEI). West rampers are not allowed to work east flights except in the case of "operational emergencies". West rampers are not even allowed to help when they have no flights on the west. In one instance, a gentleman from the west went to help the east and he got in the bin of an aircraft and started tossing out bags, as he always did. The union man came out and politely informed him to get out of the bin as he is not allowed to help. The other day, I was in the bag room and was helping the east load their carts, as I have been doing. Nope. Can't do that. Sorry.

The majority of the east rampers feel badly about this situation and feel that everything was blown way out of proportion.

What is being done at other stations with east eand west ramp?

Operational Employee Integration (OEI)

This is right from the company. "The date when the East and West employees are combined into a single fleet service workforce. This date has been established as November 3, 2008."

The Union would have loved for everyone to be combined the day after ratification, but the company in typical fashion is never ready and wanted to keep west wages down a little longer. By going against what the company put out you are helping them screw you. Overtime is avoided by the company if you cover for them by working the other groups work. F**k the company, they wanted OEI, give it to them.

P. Rez

Keep in mind that seniority is the name of the game. Although the method of seniority has been determined in the T/A, the seniority list process has yet to be finalized. P. REZ as part of the Integration Committee will probably be going through the process of double checking the integrated seniority lists for errors before it is accepted by the Union.
After the seniority lists have been integrated and accepted the stations with east and west employees can begin work area bidding according to integrated seniority. Doing this prior to integration would become a big fight and this would be the wrong thing to do,
In some instances it doesn't seem right but IMO we just need the process to work itself out and have patience.

P rez hit it on the nail,
The company wants to hold out to the very last day of the 6 month window to pay you your double time and enhanced sick time

but yet they want you to pull together and reduce overtime coverage and such.. Uncle Al can't have it both ways.. I say stop and decease immediately

and what the union guys did is absolutely correct.

in vegas we'er still seperate,we are supposed to bid to gether in november some time.
the new mgr here won't open frieght or the mail slots, and they just took over all are admin
stuff ie overtime, they can't deal with it! its laughable!

Not a day goes by in LAS that a grievance can't be filed for OT bypass. This East contract section is gonna screw over a LOT of people since they don't get paid when they're bypassed. I know people in LAS that sign the OT books just in hopes of being bypassed, because they often do.

neci,
where's the shop stewards on all this stuff.. O.T bypass thats 101 cut and dry.. the east should have had at least 1 or 2 around

to handle this stuff. also if east is doing west or west is doing east . its grievable.. and needs to be followed thru. Nothing bothers me more than

people bi**hing cause the union doesn't do anything if its not formally addressed then our hands are tied.

neci,
where's the shop stewards on all this stuff.. O.T bypass thats 101 cut and dry.. the east should have had at least 1 or 2 around

The company is smart in LAS. Unless something's changed, there's no shop stewards at night, so this is when they try to drag folks into the office along with anything else they think they can get away with. Due to the lack of union presence in general, quite a few folks at night seem to be unaware of or too intimidated by management to exercise their rights.

neci,

to handle this stuff. also if east is doing west or west is doing east . its grievable.. and needs to be followed thru. Nothing bothers me more than

people bi**hing cause the union doesn't do anything if its not formally addressed then our hands are tied.

I've got grievences at step 3 since last spring about me doing East work and East doing West work. JM is playing (insert completly derogatory adjective here, they all fit) so nothing gets done. I'm holding my cards for the new leadership and for MM to take over for JM. We grieve OT bypass and it does get corrected. I've done it, and had to play the game with BC to do it. Thankfully TG was still there and saw BC was a worthless lump of carbon and "suggested" a solution to BC. I've also heard though that an OT bypass on the East contract only results in being offered the next available hours. On the West contract we just get paid for the hours missed.

The company is smart in LAS. Unless something's changed, there's no shop stewards at night, so this is when they try to drag folks into the office along with anything else they think they can get away with. Due to the lack of union presence in general, quite a few folks at night seem to be unaware of or too intimidated by management to exercise their rights.

The Company isn't smart in LAS, just slightly lucky. There are few (if any) stewards on nights because they've all gone days. If an employee at night isn't smart enough to ask for a shop steward, which they often won't even when a steward IS available, then it's their fault. Unfortunatly most of the night time issues in LAS are attendance related. If I was a manager and had an employee showing up late, or not at all, once a week I'd write them up too. Granted that's not ALL the writeups at night, but it is a sizeable majority. I worked nights for a LOT of years and have seen it.

nec,
under the IAM bylaws . it states you will nominate and vote on stewards per shift.

so It's time for some folks in LAS to step up on 2nd shift and run for shop stewards. LAS is going to be going

thru some hard times and we need a stronger union presence on the field.

I've also heard though that an OT bypass on the East contract only results in being offered the next available hours. On the West contract we just get paid for the hours missed.

. If an employee at night isn't smart enough to ask for a shop steward, which they often won't even when a steward IS available, then it's their fault.

neci

On the East side, if you are bypassed for OT, and are awarded the bypass, you have two weeks to work the hours missed, at your leisure. Not the next available OT. So when OEI happens and bypasses occur, this is the process. But it has to be the same shift, work area, ect, ect. So if you are bypassed on a busy monday, and want to work on a slow wednesday, you just notify whoever needs to know that you will be taking you bypassed hours on that day. Anybody else on the East concur with this?

Also anybody that goes into the office for anything without representation is an acsolute BONEHEAD! We are here for you guys, to make sure the company does things on the " up and up ", so to speak. Use that right whenever you can.

Oman,

Top "branch" is mine. You are getting slow letting a "leprechaun" beat you to the top!!!!!!!!
:lol: :bleh: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back