Iam Mech Strike, Who Would Cross

Would you cross?

• I would Cross

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would not Cross

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I hope the IAM strikes they have my 100% support.I will never buy another ticket on this airline if they cancel the contracts and strip union
members of there retirement and health benefits.

AP Tech said:
Did you happen to ask those two mechanics in Bos what their hire date was? Lets see daylight line working on Wed I would guess they would be a very low 3 digit. Other than pay&pension they would not be affected by the company proposal. Last I checked Bos line had about two dozen mechs on daylight. Come back around on third shift and ask who is crossing. Ask any mechanics in PHL this afternoon. They majority will not be here if the company gets their way. Sure a judge issue an injuction to eliminate a strike but what do you think is going to get accomplished with that type of workforce?

You saw what happened with some understaffing and 40 persons off sick in Phl. Imagine that systemwide.
[post="235742"][/post]​

The IAM has a right to fight for its work force. I would support a strike today. I am not a mechanic but a simple ramper. I support the mechanic group and the fleet service but I will not vote for a modified contract that will elimanate that many of our jobs. Doing so will only bring havoc to this airline. My hat is off to you PHL job well done. You can't run this airline that understaffed. To the SCABS that loaded airplanes over Christmas.....how would you like to do that every stop you make? Let's stand up for every single job there. No one leaves or we all leave!

The general public no longer respect union picket lines nor the plight of the union worker . The trade unionist as I remember it is a dying breed . I keep seeing the "scab" word but it just doesn't have the stigma it once had . Joe Public wants a low price , if it means a kid making his shoes in an Indonesian sweat shop or crossing a union picket line to get a cheaper airfare .

You can argue what is causing this decline in union membership but the fact is it has been declining over the past 15 years . My personal feeling is low cost immigrant labor has contributed significantly from observations in my new life in a manufactoring plant . 80% Mexican labor working for $9-12 an hour , they don't complain , they show up for work , and they are productive .

The general public has little or no respect for AFA , ALPA , IAM , or the CWU . So asking who will cross the IAM picket line .............. a lot ..........a whole lot !

USA320Pilot said:
Today in BOS two mechanics told our crew that if the IAM attempts a strike or job action, the BOS mechanics would report to work. Why? They would lose their unemployment because the state of Massachusetts would not pay their unemployment benefits during a work stoppage. If true, that could have a major positive impact on any job action in the future.

With a job action, the IAM members could not only lose pay, benefits, severance, etc, but unemployment too.

Meanwhile, this poll assumes that Judge Mitchell would not grant the company's pending injunction request, which is unlikely considering the court's history.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="235736"][/post]​
Spines are in short supply these days! I mean, I can't imagine anyone who couldn't manage to stay out at least a week or two and see how things go. If you want to be a scab (which I'm not recommending - I am on furlough, BTW), you can always cross in a couple of weeks. I don't think they would send you back home, and this may be what it takes to get the airline to negotiate!

Good luck to all you IAM people!

Lots of excitement around the various hangars systemwide today........the sound of tool boxes leaving the premises!!!! Word came down to get them out, it does not look good and can only mean one thing :down:

shame shame on any unionized employee for even considering beig a SCAB-yuck it makes me sick to read such nonsense-
and yes I was faced with the choice-and had no issue siding with my union-I knew when I signed up for the job that it was a union shop-If i didnt like it-go somewhere else-
Thru the good and bad I am proud to be a UNION MEMBER-and would rather die than be a SCAB-

AC AA LA FA said:
shame shame on any unionized employee for even considering beig a SCAB-yuck it makes me sick to read such nonsense-
and yes I was faced with the choice-and had no issue siding with my union-I knew when I signed up for the job that it was a union shop-If i didnt like it-go somewhere else-
Thru the good and bad I am proud to be a UNION MEMBER-and would rather die than be a SCAB-
[post="236095"][/post]​

I am a customer with a very serious question. Are there union members who honestly believe that striking would SAVE jobs? I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, so please don't take that as the tone I'm writing under. Many of us - in fact, I'll go out on a limb and say MOST of us who fly US Airways regularly believe that a work stoppage will shut down the airline. It won't recover. That's our belief. If there is a work stoppage, US Airways is dead.

I know your poll was asking what employees would cross: but from the customer's pespective, I can assure you - everyone will cross, on their way to another airline's flights.

Since I don't have the personal battles that many of you have with each other, I can say this truthfully - I wish ALL of you the very best.

shinbal said:
I am a customer with a very serious question. Are there union members who honestly believe that striking would SAVE jobs? I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, so please don't take that as the tone I'm writing under. Many of us - in fact, I'll go out on a limb and say MOST of us who fly US Airways regularly believe that a work stoppage will shut down the airline. It won't recover. That's our belief. If there is a work stoppage, US Airways is dead.

I know your poll was asking what employees would cross: but from the customer's pespective, I can assure you - everyone will cross, on their way to another airline's flights.

Since I don't have the personal battles that many of you have with each other, I can say this truthfully - I wish ALL of you the very best.
[post="236125"][/post]​

I couldn't have said it better.

Are you avoiding my question 320?
As a dues paying member of ALPA(AFL-CIO), do you endorse the crossing of IAM(AFL-CIO) picket lines if a strike should occur?
Curiously awaiting your answer.

shinbal said:

[post="236125"][/post]​

If USAIR should close, which it probably will, most of the routes that they fly would be picked up by other carriers. Those carriers would pick up more employees to handle the increased work. Does it make sense to cut your own pay to $20/hr in order to prevent a $40/hr job from moving in?

It comes to a point where you have to cut your losses, if there was a chance that USIAR could recover AND that your wages could be restored it might be worth it but thats not the case, even the airlines that are cutting wages are saying that these cuts are permanent.

USAIR management has broken every promise they made so far. Before bankruptcy they pushed for concessions promising that they would not be back, they got the concessions then broke their promise and came back for more. Seigal came in and got a second round of concessions promising this would be the last round, he lied the company went to the Judge and got a third round of concessions and now they are seeking a fourth round of concessions. Its getting to the point that all these guys are doing is lowering how much they will be able to collect from unemployment once the inevitable happens.

The employees of USAIR are much better off to have the company close their doors, the sooner the better, than to quit and then look for a job. If they quit they cant collect unemployment, if USAIR goes out of business they can because they have no job to go back to.

SWA is an airline that gives its customers cheap airfares yet compensates its employees well. So why would it make sense to continue to sacrifice for a company that is telling you that there is no future (as far as good wages go) in order to help them keep out an outfit like SWA? Wouldnt you be better off to deliver the coup de gace, then you can collect unemployment while you look for another job where there is a future? Its a hard decision, kind of like the people on the Titanic faced. Go out on a little lifeboat or remain on the giant ship. The giant ship seemed safer even though they knew something was wrong. By the time its ready to finally slip under its too late.

savyinvestor said:
If the judge orders an injuction I would to my job, but by the book. In other words, not one second sooner than allowed and not one plane would move unless every "I" wad dotted and every"T" was crossed. Happy now USA320? Savy
[post="235782"][/post]​

You mean you don't do your job by the book now?

Hope you're not a Mechanic or Pilot.

Bob Owens said:
If USAIR should close, which it probably will, most of the routes that they fly would be picked up by other carriers. Those carriers would pick up more employees to handle the increased work. Does it make sense to cut your own pay to $20/hr in order to prevent a $40/hr job from moving in?

It comes to a point where you have to cut your losses, if there was a chance that USIAR could recover AND that your wages could be restored it might be worth it but thats not the case, even the airlines that are cutting wages are saying that these cuts are permanent.

USAIR management has broken every promise they made so far. Before bankruptcy they pushed for concessions promising that they would not be back, they got the concessions then broke their promise and came back for more. Seigal came in and got a second round of concessions promising this would be the last round, he lied the company went to the Judge and got a third round of concessions and now they are seeking a fourth round of concessions. Its getting to the point that all these guys are doing is lowering how much they will be able to collect from unemployment once the inevitable happens.

The employees of USAIR are much better off to have the company close their doors, the sooner the better, than to quit and then look for a job. If they quit they cant collect unemployment, if USAIR goes out of business they can because they have no job to go back to.

SWA is an airline that gives its customers cheap airfares yet compensates its employees well. So why would it make sense to continue to sacrifice for a company that is telling you that there is no future (as far as good wages go) in order to help them keep out an outfit like SWA? Wouldnt you be better off to deliver the coup de gace, then you can collect unemployment while you look for another job where there is a future? Its a hard decision, kind of like the people on the Titanic faced. Go out on a little lifeboat or remain on the giant ship. The giant ship seemed safer even though they knew something was wrong. By the time its ready to finally slip under its too late.
[post="236141"][/post]​

Only a small, perhaps very small number of the US employees would be hired by those other carriers. Many have their own employees on furlough. Also, for those that dont, why look for trouble in some cases. But the furlough issue is bigger. Ask the TWA people. AA kept them for a while but not that long.

I would Cross [ 62 ] [42.47%]
I would not Cross [ 84 ] [57.53%]

The above count is deplorable. Shame, shame, shame on those that would cross.

How can the airline possibly survive with such a house divided?

Latest posts

Back