IAM Stepping Up campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twenty years of pro-union activism, millions of union provided of dollars, and tens of thousands of hours of outside labor invested in campaigns have not been enough to unionize Delta flight attendants.   We have voted three times. Each time, we have had the same result.  For the last election, the NMB changed the voting procedure to make it easier for a union to win. Still, there was not enough support to elect a union.  Quite frankly, there still is not enough of an organic desire for a union among my peers.  Without being propped up by outside funding and labor, this campaign would wither and die.

I do not like these campaigns because they divide my workgroup and make our working environment more hostile.  Unfortunately, when someone who desperately wants to belong to a union is flying with someone who does not, sparks fly all too often.

I did not want to be an afa member.  IAM not interested in being a machinist.  I hope that this campaign goes away.

There are two Facebook pages that have flight attendants discussing this issue.  I believe that you can read both of them without being a member

No Way afa at  www.facebook.com/groups/nowayafa
World Class Delta Flight Attendants at https://www.facebook.com/groups/62602435887

Happy Reading.

ah

thanks, aislehopper.

and yet 700 and other labor organizers can't get the message that DL and its employees DO NOT WANT any further unions.

Not only do they continue to prove why DL employees don't want anything to do with organized labor but they also can't focus on fixing the reasons that DL employees want nothing to do with the labor movement.

I guess we just have to put up with people like 700 until they and the labor movement dies off.

robbedagain said:
Frugal theres nothing wrong w dl being profitable but when it comes to labor dl like walmart will put out all the stops to prevent unions from coming on property I look at atl as being the main driving force

wt while dl may be one of the most profitable outfits in the airline look at wn for ex once fl is done being absorbed i do think wn will still be just as profitable as wn and I do think the new aa will also be just as profitable but only time will tell.
and again your labeling DL like Wal-Mart because DL AND ITS people don't want anything to do with the labor movement proves that DL is doing what it is supposed to do very well and you and the labor movement can't overcome it.

WN is a very good airline and I have repeatedly said that. The only time I have butted heads with WN people here is when DL and WN's strategic objectives intersect. Given that WN has managed to stay out of DL's way, it appears that WN mgmt knows they are better off focusing their efforts elsewhere.

It doesn't change that DL IS NOW a very profitable airline and continues to move forward with its strategic objectives.

and further participation of organized labor is not desired by either the company or its employees.

Grasping the fact that active DL employees, including the FAs which are the topic of this thread, have repeatedly come on this forum to say they have no interest in further unions says it is an EMPLOYEE DECISION and not just a desire of mgmt.

aislehopper said:
Twenty years of pro-union activism, millions of union provided of dollars, and tens of thousands of hours of outside labor invested in campaigns have not been enough to unionize Delta flight attendants.   We have voted three times. Each time, we have had the same result.  For the last election, the NMB changed the voting procedure to make it easier for a union to win. Still, there was not enough support to elect a union.  Quite frankly, there still is not enough of an organic desire for a union among my peers.  Without being propped up by outside funding and labor, this campaign would wither and die.

I do not like these campaigns because they divide my workgroup and make our working environment more hostile.  Unfortunately, when someone who desperately wants to belong to a union is flying with someone who does not, sparks fly all too often.
Because there is not enough DL grass roots movement for a union, outside $ will keep on being poured in so that a work group will become so divided that it leads to an eventual union 'infection' at the company. 
This is classic unionism 101.  The people running unions today have become brainwashed by reading authors such as Marx & Engels, study the tactics employed by despots such as Lenin and his ilk that wreaked havoc in post war eastern Europe, gain inspiration from dictators such as Chavez, Castor, Morales, etc. and yearn for somebody like them to finally come to power in the USA so that utopia could be achieved.  Proletarians of all nations unite!!!

except that classic union tactics are failing. It is precisely because DL is running the kind of business that engages employees while labor tries to divide them that labor is failing.

700's participation on here proves that he is still stuck in strategies that don't work. While the labor movement around him continues to crumble, DL's non-union employees continue to demonstrate they want nothing to do with organized labor.

it's not exactly like Chavez are models for much of the rest of the world either.

Again not all of DL folks vote against union its a sad reality that atlanta carries no union votes and that trumps all. It does not come as a shock that atl based dl w the large nbr of their employees make sure dl doesnt go union. Nwa was union til delta wrecked that. I dont believe u can speak for all employees of dl but in bwi theres a large nbr of those folks who wish they would go union bec of dl mgmt tactics

robbedagain said:
Again not all of DL folks vote against union its a sad reality that atlanta carries no union votes and that trumps all. It does not come as a shock that atl based dl w the large nbr of their employees make sure dl doesnt go union. Nwa was union til delta wrecked that. I dont believe u can speak for all employees of dl but in bwi theres a large nbr of those folks who wish they would go union bec of dl mgmt tactics
umm  big portion of NYC are no votes.  Especially with the new hires...

aislehopper said:
For the last election, the NMB changed the voting procedure to make it easier for a union to win.
...And for this go 'round, our employer worked behind the scenes to make it harder for you to exercise your right to vote either way.

I did not want to be an afa member.  IAM not interested in being a machinist.  I hope that this campaign goes away.
I understand your stance, but do you realize you're repeating a manufactured talking point? I get that you might not want to be a Machinist. That's cool, but you ARE an aerospace worker- you know, what the "AW" in IAMAW stands for?

There are two Facebook pages that have flight attendants discussing this issue.  I believe that you can read both of them without being a member

No Way afa at  www.facebook.com/groups/nowayafa
World Class Delta Flight Attendants at https://www.facebook.com/groups/62602435887

Happy Reading.

ah
You're correct, but fair warning; both are getting overrun with group think & trolls.

P.S. Welcome back

WorldTraveler said:
and yet 700 and other labor organizers can't get the message that DL and its employees DO NOT WANT any further unions.
You still don't understand how organizing works, do you?

I guess we just have to put up with people like 700 until they and the labor movement dies off.
Wow.

...and further participation of organized labor is not desired by either the company or its employees.
There are thousands of actual DL employees that feel differently.

What Aislehopper nailed is that no matter what spin the company wants to put on it, this is still very much a divided workforce.

WorldTraveler said:
except that classic union tactics are failing. It is precisely because DL is running the kind of business that engages employees while labor tries to divide them that labor is failing.
...Then it's all the better that both the ramp & FA drives recognize that old methods no longer work, right?

BABABOOY said:
umm  big portion of NYC are no votes.  Especially with the new hires...
I'm sure no one's resting easy in any base. I've heard otherwise about NYC in general, but will take your word for it. Likely explains why there is so much focus there right now...

yeah I do get how organizing works. When labor has been told by employees in votes over and over again that they don't want unions (can someone count how many times DL FAs have voted since deregulation) and yet labor keeps coming back.

I totally get that not every DL employee agrees with the majority but the majority is the process that is used - and the rules were changed to make it EASIER for labor and yet it still wasn't enough.

No one will be 100% happy... I get that. But when the majority esp. in In-Flight have repeatedly voted "not interested" and yet union organizers keep coming back, it is not just annoying but also shows how badly they grasp that their product/service needs a complete overhaul.

If they focused as much attention on reworking what labor provides, they might convince some of the DL employees who keep voting "no" to change their vote.

FWIW, I have repeatedly commended you, Kev, for recognizing that the labor movement needs to move forward. people like 700 are your polar opposite and the precise reason labor won't win any elections at DL until they significantly rework their offering.

and yes, Kev, as hard as it may be for you or others to hear, the labor movement in the US will die out unless some seriously more effective strategies are put in place.

• Banned
The rules were changed to have it as a normal election just like the NLRA and no it wasnt made easier as the card threshold which DL lobbied for was raised from 35% to 50%.

So dont preach on the board it was made easier.

No type of election except under the RLA was a non-voter counted as a no.

part 3 of your statement was requested by the unions. part 1 was requested by business.

harder to call for an election but easier for labor once one gets called.

• Banned
Explain to the board how it is fair in any type of election that a non-voter is counted as a no.

No type of election in the country does/did this except the RLA.

So if we counted every non-voter as a no in a political election no one would ever get elected.

So wt essentially dl made it effectively harder for unions to come on board at dl guess its true when big bucks come a callin they get what they want

so if theres another down turn in the industry dl will have so much fun gettin rid of who they want when they want bec they're not union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back