Inflight

BoeingBoy said:
Haven't you heard the one about what separates F/A's from the scum of the earth ------- the cockpit door!!

:shock: :lol:

Jim
[post="307728"][/post]​

I love you guys!!!!!
The best thing about US is the crews! The majority of US crews are the best that you will ever meet. Our front end crews are the most experienced and knowledgable guys in the business. The f/as have seen everything! The only thing that scares me is most of our front end will be retiring within the next few years.
I have had more fun and learned so much from everyone, but can't wait to fly with all the folks from AWA! :up:

HPGUY said:
It also limits the kinds of trips available. IE FA who enjoy highly prodctive trips spanning low amounts of days will see a drop in these kinds of trips.

More importantly if we ask to match FA and Pilots pairing we risk the company push for FAs to follow 121.471 (pilot FARs) Then such limitations as 30 in 7 would would not be waivable. There is a potential for cost savings by avoiding extra scheduling systems modifications in this and we wouldn't want to dangle such a thing in the company's face.
[post="307716"][/post]​
I am not sure what you mean by running the risk of the company push for FAs to follow 121.471 (pilot FARs). US contract allows us to waive the 30/7 limitation at our option. We have absolutely no problems flying additional trips on our days off, or on days on duty. We have former PSA/Piedmont f/a that worked under the seperated paring system, they much prefer this way. With this way, we also fall under the work rules of the pilots, they go to the hotel, we go to the hotel. Its a great system, you always have a full crew. No sitting around waiting for pilots to show up or vice versa. You would be very surprised at how efficent it works for both work groups.

tahitigirl said:
I love you guys!!!!!
The best thing about US is the crews! The majority of US crews are the best that you will ever meet. Our front end crews are the most experienced and knowledgable guys in the business. The f/as have seen everything! The only thing that scares me is most of our front end will be retiring within the next few years.
I have had more fun and learned so much from everyone, but can't wait to fly with all the folks from AWA! :up:
[post="307732"][/post]​
I agree, US has the most AWESOME pilots in the industry!! Staying together for your entire trips allows you the opportunity to really get to know each other.

proudf/a said:
I am not sure what you mean by running the risk of the company push for FAs to follow 121.471 (pilot FARs). US contract allows us to waive the 30/7 limitation at our option. We have absolutely no problems flying additional trips on our days off, or on days on duty. We have former PSA/Piedmont f/a that worked under the seperated paring system, they much prefer this way. With this way, we also fall under the work rules of the pilots, they go to the hotel, we go to the hotel. Its a great system, you always have a full crew. No sitting around waiting for pilots to show up or vice versa. You would be very surprised at how efficent it works for both work groups.
[post="307756"][/post]​

US Airway have a 30 in 7 limitation written into their contract and that's why it is waivable.

There is currently a provision in the FA FAR(121.467) that allow for an airline to use Pilot FAR(121.471) for FAs. A lot of airlines use this provision. This is a potential cost saver for the company for things like programming and software among other things.

If we ask for mirror pairings, what is to say the company won't want mirror FARs. If the pairings are going to be generated the same what would be the Union reasoning for denying it?? We want our cake and to eat it too?

When the company begin intergration they will be merging certificates under the FAA. A perfect time to implement such a change. The whole things feels is poking a snake with a stick. We're asking to get bitten.

Let the pilots have their pairings and FA have theirs...

MarkMyWords said:
I have seen the airline operate with F/A's seperate from Pilots and together, and I can tell you that together is much better from an operational stand point.

In the environment that HP operates in, having crew seperate may work for you. But imagine what happens when you inherit the PHL hub with the LGA, BOS and DCA focus cities. When you get into a severe irregular ops, having all of the crew together, making 1 phone call to contact a complete crew, is much much better. When crews were scheduled apart, with one delayed flight, you had the potential to delay 2 additional flights.
[post="307702"][/post]​
There has to be a cost advantage for flying seperate. Other than U, I know of no other carrier that keeps crews together. Not to mention all the 75 & 73 crews that have to overnight in BOS & LGA because the flight attendants based there can't work those a/c. After all, U seems to be very concerned about paying for hotels in those cities. The BOS layover is now in Chelsea. Not one of the safer neighborhoods in BOS. :down:

There may be a cost advantage to flying Pilots and Flight Attendants seperately, but operationally, it creates a tremendous challenge. Imagine what it will be like in PHL on an ATC day with delays in excess of 4 hours. Imagine, when we are in full deice mode in PHL, LGA, BOS. 1 delayed flight has the potential to delay 2 additional flights, if the crews change airplanes. Now multiply this by the 100's of flights in PHL in the afternoon. Now compound the problem when crew scheduling has to contact the Pilots for one thing, the F/A's for another. Trip repair would be a nightmare.....and we have seen that in cases like Hurricane Hugo or the blizzards in the North East. As it is now, we are able to recover the airline from a bad operation fairly quickly. Previously, when crews were not traveling together, it took much longer to recover. I can't tell you how many flights I worked where you have Pilots and no F/A's, or F/A's and no pilots. 1-2 diversions and you can screw up a bank of flights.

While having crews work seperately may work for HP and the environment they operate in, having crews work seperately at US and the envirnoment we work in would compound the nightmare. Any cost savings you would see from working F/A's seperately would be flushed down the toilet on a thunderstorm night in PHL. Ask yourself, how many truly good operating days do we have in PHL, LGA, BOS versus the bad days? PHL especially. When a ship in the river can cause a ground delay program and diversions you know you are in trouble.

Hey, that is just my opinion. I have seen PI/US operate with crews together and seperate and I can tell you, from an operational stand point, we operate and recover much faster having crews stay together.

MarkMyWords said:
There may be a cost advantage to flying Pilots and Flight Attendants seperately, but operationally, it creates a tremendous challenge. Imagine what it will be like in PHL on an ATC day with delays in excess of 4 hours. Imagine, when we are in full deice mode in PHL, LGA, BOS. 1 delayed flight has the potential to delay 2 additional flights, if the crews change airplanes. Now multiply this by the 100's of flights in PHL in the afternoon. Now compound the problem when crew scheduling has to contact the Pilots for one thing, the F/A's for another. Trip repair would be a nightmare.....and we have seen that in cases like Hurricane Hugo or the blizzards in the North East. As it is now, we are able to recover the airline from a bad operation fairly quickly. Previously, when crews were not traveling together, it took much longer to recover. I can't tell you how many flights I worked where you have Pilots and no F/A's, or F/A's and no pilots. 1-2 diversions and you can screw up a bank of flights.

While having crews work seperately may work for HP and the environment they operate in, having crews work seperately at US and the envirnoment we work in would compound the nightmare. Any cost savings you would see from working F/A's seperately would be flushed down the toilet on a thunderstorm night in PHL. Ask yourself, how many truly good operating days do we have in PHL, LGA, BOS versus the bad days? PHL especially. When a ship in the river can cause a ground delay program and diversions you know you are in trouble.

Hey, that is just my opinion. I have seen PI/US operate with crews together and seperate and I can tell you, from an operational stand point, we operate and recover much faster having crews stay together.
[post="307860"][/post]​
You are absolutely correct! AWA hasnt had alot of experience dealing with a NorEaster storm. You get the flt crews seperated, you will never be able to get any flt out on time from anywhere in the Northeast corridor. I have experienced atc delays as long as 6 -8 hrs trying to get into an out of PHL. BOS can be hairy too. Not to mention LGA, dealing with the traffic from EWR and JFK. I seriously hope that mgmt takes that into consideration when making this decision.

OK OK WE GOT SIDE TRACKED :shock:

IS IT GONNA BE:

COKE OR PEPSI

SOMEONE HAS TO KNOW SOMEONE THAT KNOWS

proudf/a said:
You are absolutely correct! AWA hasnt had alot of experience dealing with a NorEaster storm. You get the flt crews seperated, you will never be able to get any flt out on time from anywhere in the Northeast corridor. I have experienced atc delays as long as 6 -8 hrs trying to get into an out of PHL. BOS can be hairy too. Not to mention LGA, dealing with the traffic from EWR and JFK. I seriously hope that mgmt takes that into consideration when making this decision.
[post="307918"][/post]​

Most of the people who live in Phoenix are not from Phoenix. Most of the people I work with (like myself) are from the east coast and had airline experience from the east coast. We're well aware of winter operations and have experience in such conditions.

FlyUs said:
There has to be a cost advantage for flying seperate. Other than U, I know of no other carrier that keeps crews together. Not to mention all the 75 & 73 crews that have to overnight in BOS & LGA because the flight attendants based there can't work those a/c. After all, U seems to be very concerned about paying for hotels in those cities. The BOS layover is now in Chelsea. Not one of the safer neighborhoods in BOS. :down:
[post="307820"][/post]​

Don't forget the flip side of having different crews on different duty days... If the Pilots time out it doesn't mean the FAs did. We'll have a 50% better chance of saving the flight.

Our 737 carts are monsters. There is no space for trash...blah. It sounds like from Doogies meesage that you will soon be enjoying the fun of being a low fare carrier. Everything will be minimal even f/c our your envoy? The more I think about it doing these flights with the bare min it's okay. I used to be embarrased but I won't be anymore.... I am just gonna have fun with it. SOrry sir we don't carry miller or coors products anymore ... it didn't make the budget cuts! with a big smile on my face. :up:

HPGUY said:
Most of the people who live in Phoenix are not from Phoenix. Most of the people I work with (like myself) are from the east coast and had airline experience from the east coast. We're well aware of winter operations and have experience in such conditions.
[post="308806"][/post]​
I am sure you are however, I know AWA is not experienced in flying over 380 daily departures out of PHL in mid January. With over 120,000+ bookings for any given day. Its a bloody nightmare. You need nerves of steel not to mention patience. My only point is you seperate the flt crew from the f/a's you will never find a whole crew to get anything operational. If push comes to shove scheduling can always split the f/a's or the pilots onto any other trip to get a flt out. That usually doesnt happen to often. They do like to keep the entire crew together. I certainly never meant to offend with my earlier post.

FlyUs said:
There has to be a cost advantage for flying seperate. Other than U, I know of no other carrier that keeps crews together. Not to mention all the 75 & 73 crews that have to overnight in BOS & LGA because the flight attendants based there can't work those a/c.
[post="307820"][/post]​

Huh? Flight Attendants in every base can fly every aircraft. The only exception is that some people are not qualified on the A330.

In the 'Olden Days", HP kept the crew together.
I REALLY miss that, and the pilots I consider my actual 'friends' are from those days. The folks who were hired after we started mixing up the crews don't have that experience of bonding and working together with FD/cabin crew.
They are more 'us vs them' in their attitudes. FAs actually are writing pilots up for idiotic stuff.
The pilots must go thru "Sensitivity Training" :eek:
SOMETIMES, the FD will actually terminate for a RON with us, and if we're lucky all will have a long enuf RON for a proper debrief, before leaving at different times the next day.
This is very rare, and even when I am lucky enuf to have it happen, half the time most will 'slam click'.
I fell like I don't even know the pilots anymore, and it sucks.
I long for those good times again.

HOWEVER, I doubt it will happen.
It really is not such a big deal to handle an irreg op. In some cases, its easier.
If you are only waiting on a late inbound cabin crew but have the pilots and a/c, grab some hot reserves and go.
We can generate better quality FA pairings with the ability to mix 737 and Airbus.

Back