LUS/AA Below wing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but I think both of you guys are making this debate too simple. But Albert here's a problem for you to solve. Let's say we agreed to NO medical at all for PT and maybe something like Delta has, Ready Reserve? Now we agree to cap that at 20% of the total. We decide to open that door for the company. Do you think on the next contract (or BK) they're not going to ask for 40 maybe even a 50% influx?

Were already under assult from low wage no benefit subcontractors. I got Eulen America coming out of my ass here.

The more we (possibly) choose to take from those below us, the more one day they may be the ones pushing us out the door?

Look for the middle ground gentleman. Look for the middle ground.

Oh and restricting CS's also hurts our commuters who's cities were closed by the votes of us in hubs Blue Collar. So maybe we should hurt them just a little more as well while we're at it?

And I don't subscribe to the "They should move" philosophy. I moved by CHOICE. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be liked to be FORCED to do it for economic reasons. It's also a little F'd up for us to tell other people what they should do because WE want something, JMO.

WeAAsles said:
Sorry but I think both of you guys are making this debate too simple. But Albert here's a problem for you to solve. Let's say we agreed to NO medical at all for PT and maybe something like Delta has, Ready Reserve? Now we agree to cap that at 20% of the total. We decide to open that door for the company. Do you think on the next contract (or BK) they're not going to ask for 40 maybe even a 50% influx?

Were already under assult from low wage no benefit subcontractors. I got Eulen America coming out of my ass here.

The more we (possibly) choose to take from those below us, the more one day they may be the ones pushing us out the door?

Oh and restricting CS's also hurts our commuters who's cities were closed by the votes of us in hubs Blue Collar. So maybe we should hurt them just a little more as well while we're at it?

And I don't subscribe to the "They should move" philosophy. I moved by CHOICE. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be liked to be FORCED to do it for economic reasons. It's also a little F'd up for us to tell other people what they should do because WE want something, JMO.

I know this isnt the point you were trying to make but we did have ready reserve here at LGA it didnt work they quit . They were retired NYPD, saw they couldnt fly when they wanted to and simply bought a ticket on Jetblue.DL ready reserves are enthusiastic in the beginning I here them on the bus. Give them a few months and they're bitchin. I wonder if hiring R/R is cheaper than hiring a contract company? Or will it go by the way of AA b scale without parity

The reason it sounds simple, is because it is. I don't agree with part time paying more for benefits, or having a different class of seniority. To me, fleet is fleet, mechanics are mechanics. There should be no pt/ft seniority, just as there should be no lead/premium seniority. It will be interesting to see how they resolve the lead/premium seniority, and it'll be a mess guaranteed. It doesn't affect me at all, just voicing my opinion.

Edit - just to clarify- I also don't advocate further limiting CSs/swaps/give aways. That was given as an example of stopping what was mentioned as a problem, being those that are there strictly for benefits.

Reactions: 1 person
Albert said:
I know this isnt the point you were trying to make but we did have ready reserve here at LGA it didnt work they quit . They were retired NYPD, saw they couldnt fly when they wanted to and simply bought a ticket on Jetblue.DL ready reserves are enthusiastic in the beginning I here them on the bus. Give them a few months and they're bitchin. I wonder if hiring R/R is cheaper than hiring a contract company? Or will it go by the way of AA b scale without parity

We never had RR in our contract. Those were temporary help. That's in our contract. After X amount of days (forget the number off the top of my head) the company has to release or hire them. They're allowed 2 times per year.

There was a PR nightmare for AA once many years ago when they brought in a bunch of them to help with Christmas and let them all go the day before. These people supposedly thought they had real jobs and went screaming to the papers after they were released.

I think the company has been shy about bringing them in ever since. Not to mention the costs for background checks and a SIDA badge.

blue collar said:
The reason it sounds simple, is because it is. I don't agree with part time paying more for benefits, or having a different class of seniority. To me, fleet is fleet, mechanics are mechanics. There should be no pt/ft seniority, just as there should be no lead/premium seniority. It will be interesting to see how they resolve the lead/premium seniority, and it'll be a mess guaranteed. It doesn't affect me at all, just voicing my opinion.

Edit - just to clarify- I also don't advocate further limiting CSs/swaps/give aways. That was given as an example of stopping what was mentioned as a problem, being those that are there strictly for benefits.
Before we were union your lead seniority would begin the day to got the lead job after we were unionized you would take your fleet seniority with you. Yes there was some crying and some leads stepped down. I would think in the joint contract you would be taking your seniority with you otherwise no one in their right mine would take the lead job they would have make the new hires leads. Yes there will be ranting and raving but there probably will not be enough disgrunted leads (and i do understand their anger) to make a difference in the vote and the ASS knows this

Albert said:
Before we were union your lead seniority would begin the day to got the lead job after we were unionized you would take your fleet seniority with you. Yes there was some crying and some leads stepped down. I would think in the joint contract you would be taking your seniority with you otherwise no one in their right mine would take the lead job they would have make the new hires leads. Yes there will be ranting and raving but there probably will not be enough disgrunted leads (and i do understand their anger) to make a difference in the vote and the ASS knows this
My apologies Albert. I didn't realize you were pre merger US.

blue collar said:

Your reasoning is just plain common sense. That is how it should be. It would clear up a lot of the problems that have come about over the years concerning seniority. You work at an airline from a certain date, you should get seniority from that date.

Rumor has it that the company is ready to give us 28 or 29 an hr top but they want something in return. That's the rumor. I am aware the preparations for joint contract is suppose to begin Monday.

robbedagain said:
Rumor has it that the company is ready to give us 28 or 29 an hr top but they want something in return. That's the rumor. I am aware the preparations for joint contract is suppose to begin Monday.
And what they want is cargo.

I don't know to be honest  but the word that we hear is is that they want catering.   But in my own opin  we should not have to give a dam thing up bec this airline is making profits out of the kazoos and all   its time we get back what we lost

robbedagain said:
I don't know to be honest  but the word that we hear is is that they want catering.   But in my own opin  we should not have to give a dam thing up bec this airline is making profits out of the kazoos and all   its time we get back what we lost
robbedagain said:
So they got our least labor intensive job Cabin Service through theft in the BK process. Now they may want another one?

Tell them to shove it.

I know that cabin had a ton of seniority when it was outsourced. Likewise here in Dallas, seniority is extremely high in cargo and those folks would just get the snowball rolling if it were outsourced. Not sure what the other stations look like, but I think all stations are outsourced except DFW, MIA, LAX, JFK, ORD (on the AA side).

Agree WeAA.

Cabin cleaning has been in our contract n I'm hoping our higher union officials will get back to us soon with regards to our mgmt deciding to contract cleaning to vendor. Hopefully things will start to come together for the better for us all

While nobody wants to see any function cut, US is and has been the only legacy that still has catering. To further add to this issue, following the US/HP merger, only the east had catering while the west had cargo in a few stations. Perhaps the new AA can offset the loss of catering with the addition of cargo in the larger stations systemwide. To the best of my knowledge, DL hasn't actually done catering as far back as the 1970's. They had cabin service, which did the cleaning along with some of the basics in the galley. I know that UA had a flight kitchen of their own, but that has been gone for a long time.

I know that cabin had a ton of seniority when it was outsourced. Likewise here in Dallas, seniority is extremely high in cargo and those folks would just get the snowball rolling if it were outsourced. Not sure what the other stations look like, but I think all stations are outsourced except DFW, MIA, LAX, JFK, ORD (on the AA side).
AANOTOK and wings,
how many people does AA/US combined have in cargo and any other group that might be the target of outsourcing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts