LUV workers -- how much of today''s WSJ article is true??

Aug 20, 2002
Valhalla
www.usaviation.com
Front page feature Inside Southwest Airlines, Storied Culture Feels Strains

You guys have more planes and 22% less unit labor costs than even CO!!

After reading the article I''m left with the impression that your younger/newer employees don''t buy-in to your culture.

Here''s my thoughts, and take them for what they are worth:

I can''t speak for all our newer employees, but I can tell you that the ones hired after 9/11 are some of the most supportive of the company that I''ve seen in a long time. They know what it feels like to lose a job, and they know that while Southwest may not always pay the highest wages, they offer a level of job security known at no other airline. Some of them have voluntarily given up years of seniority at their airline to come be at Southwest. These employees genuinely are happy to be here, and having seen "the other side", I''ve noticed that they''re less likely to fall into that slump of indifference.

Now, one would assume that the 22% lower labor costs come because we pay our employees less, thus screwing them. But take a good look at the last few contracts: Ramp, Mechanics, etc. All gave good raises in compensation and brought the groups well within the industry standard for their contract group. I would think the flight attendants would get nothing less with their next contract. And while our pilots may not be making the highest wages (although they may be before too much longer), believe me when I say that there''s more to a contract than the base wages. I''ve met many an AA pilot who would have loved to work under Southwest''s contract...and that''s PRIOR to any concessions they took.

There are definitely groups at Southwest who do receive lower pay than their counterparts at the other airlines, but these are mostly non-contract employees who know what they''re getting into, and are willing to accept lower wages in return for a pleasant working environment. In other words, they''re cubicle gophers like me who have seen that hell known as corporate America and decided they didn''t want it, no matter what the paycheck looked like.

In addition, I''ve noticed that Southwest has many stop-loss measures in place that the other airlines don''t. In many cases, I think the lower employment costs are simply because we''re more efficient in terms of scheduling, overtime, etc. We''re always taking costs into consideration in almost every action we do. I''ve seen situations at other airlines that just make me shake my head in wonder when I think about how much money is being wasted. And to be honest, I see considerably less of those situations at Southwest. It''s just part of the culture to think more strategically about how we spend money. In other words, I think we pay comparable wages to our contract employees in most cases, but we don''t waste as much money by having the employment "featherbedding" that I see at some other airlines. This is just my personal observation.

I would take the WSJ article with a very large grain of salt. I get the idea that perhaps it was instigated by some of flight attendant unrest that comes with the contract negotiations. Hey, they''re negotations. Rarely do they all go super smooth, even at Southwest. It''s just part of the business. But I think the reporter who wrote this article picked and chose what information he/she wanted to include, and drew conclusions based on that skewed information. If you only go looking for the negatives, you will find them because that''s all you''ll see.

Personally, this Southwest employee is quite happy, thank you very much. Yes, we''re growing larger, and yes, it does get harder to keep the culture as we get bigger. But we''re working hard at it, and there''s no place I''d rather work. And I actually think the morale now is better than it was in 1999 and 2000, when the money was flowing in like crazy and we were admittedly getting a little too complacent with ourselves. I think 9/11 did a good job of shaking us all up and making us realize that we''ve got something very special here, and nobody wants to ruin that.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH, It''s so good to be vindicated. For those of you who felt the need to disparage my comments and send me personal email (which I never read..deleted) the Wall Street Journal echoed my thoughts on July 10th. Now if ya''all can find a dollar while you are cleaning the a/c go buy it. And by the way...I''m just a person with an opinion...spare me the email and send it to the WSJ..that means Wall Street Journal.... ah, It''s been around awhile and it''s not next to the Star so you may have to look a bit.

Lovin U 2

AHHHHHHHHHHHH, It''s so good to be vindicated. For those of you who felt the need to disparage my comments and send me personal email (which I never read..deleted) the Wall Street Journal echoed my thoughts on July 10th. Now if ya''all can find a dollar while you are cleaning the a/c go buy it. And by the way...I''m just a person with an opinion...spare me the email and send it to the WSJ..that means Wall Street Journal.... ah, It''s been around awhile and it''s not next to the Star so you may have to look a bit.

Lovin U 2

----------------
On 7/13/2003 10:53:18 PM stewbear wrote:

Lovin U 2

----------------​
Don''t believe everything you read.

----------------
On 7/11/2003 7:25:59 AM whatkindoffreshhell wrote:

Front page feature "Inside Southwest Airlines, Storied Culture Feels Strains"

You guys have more planes and 22% less unit labor costs than even CO!!

After reading the article I''m left with the impression that your younger/newer employees don''t buy-in to your culture.

----------------​
None of the contents of this article is true. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE at Southwest luvs working here. The writers at the Wall Street Journal don''t have any facts to back their claims. They are completely wrong.

Southwest is the best airline in the world, and will soon be the largest airline in the U.S. All of the so-called major carriers will be out of business, and all of their former employees will be trying to get jobs at Southwest. I know the truth hurts, but thats how it will be. Take my word for it.

----------------
On 7/11/2003 7:25:59 AM whatkindoffreshhell wrote:

----------------​

Purely a subjective impression, but while awaiting departure yesterday morning at CMH, I noticed some of the WN rampers (including at least one who appeared to be a lead or supervisor) shooting hoops on the ramp between the jetways as they waited for my flight to arrive. They were mostly young, and seemed to be buying in to the "culture".

LUV the responses, so far.

As a longer term flight attendant, my answer is "AND".

Lots of employees, including flight attendants, love their jobs, can't imagine working anywhere else AND there's always room for improvement in any product.

SWA now has leather seats, AND the flight attendants are asking to be paid for the 25 free hours per month (average) currently spent cleaning the plane.

We have blue -700's soon to have winglets, AND anyone at the top step in 1991 hasn't had a raise in 12 years, so they work 30% harder to maintain their same standard of living.

I want to retire here. I love my job. I've done many extra-curricular activities at SWA to help maintain our Culture. That Culture includes respect for our Internal Customers, and that includes all work groups, even Flight Attendants.

LUV for Internal AND External Customers

If I were to make a commercial trying to sell people on working for Southwest, it might go like this:

Working for management whom you can actually respect: Priceless

Working for managament you can actually believe because they have proven by their deeds that they say what they mean and mean what they say: Priceless

Working for management who walks the walk rather than merely talking the talk: Priceless

Working for management who are truly on your side: Priceless

Beyond all the things that money can't buy, the Summer 2003 newsletter I just recieved from the IAM District of which I am a member (with another airline) shows Southwest payscales as follows when compared with AA, AS, CO, DL, NW and US:

Storekeeper - 3rd highest
Cusromer Service - 2nd highest
Res & Sales Reps - 2nd highest
Ramp Service: Highest

...so much for the low pay myth at WN -- payscales for these groups are "industry leading"... plus all the things that money can't buy!

----------------
On 7/15/2003 1:18:13 AM swflyer wrote:

LUV the responses, so far.

As a longer term flight attendant, my answer is "AND".

Lots of employees, including flight attendants, love their jobs, can't imagine working anywhere else AND there's always room for improvement in any product.

SWA now has leather seats, AND the flight attendants are asking to be paid for the 25 free hours per month (average) currently spent cleaning the plane.

We have blue -700's soon to have winglets, AND anyone at the top step in 1991 hasn't had a raise in 12 years, so they work 30% harder to maintain their same standard of living.

I want to retire here. I love my job. I've done many extra-curricular activities at SWA to help maintain our Culture. That Culture includes respect for our Internal Customers, and that includes all work groups, even Flight Attendants.

LUV for Internal AND External Customers

----------------​
swflyer, I know you and I have nothing but respect for all our employee groups. You f/a's work very hard and are the best in the industry. But are you saying you have not had a pay raise in 12 years? I "heard" the f/a's who work the Dal/Hou routes make 6 figures....true? If you have not had a raise in that many years then thats not right.

Most of the posts in this thread have been very good, except for "stewbare"..everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

WNjetdoc,

To be perfectly clear, I''ve been enjoying contractual raises since I''ve know you....but I''m not topped out.

F/A''s at SWA have 16 steps to top out, and I stated that anyone at step 16 in 1991 has not had a raise since then. Doing the math, were I at step 16 then, I''d be a 28 year employee today.

The other way I look at this is we''re telling our original employees they''re not worth much, but thanks for your initial efforts at making the Co. a success. I think they''re the guardians of our Culture and should be rewarded.

IMHO

swflyer-First of all let me echo the compliments about our GREAT f/a''s. Do you know if there is a profitability bonus clause for topped out senior f/a''s? We have one in res and customer service. Also look for your steps to drop. We went from 14 to 11 with this contract.(18 to 14 in previous one) Good luck on getting the good contract you deserve!

>>SWA now has leather seats, AND the flight attendants are asking to be paid for the 25 free hours per month (average) currently spent cleaning the plane<<

Please show us the math on the 25 hours average. That sounds like an awfully high estimate!

Latest posts