LUV workers -- how much of today''s WSJ article is true??

Why don''t you take your lunch to work....make it non perishable so that you don''t get food poisoning because you don''t have a refrigerator to put it in, and then lets talk. Do that for a week or two - and hold off on eating dinner until your "crew bus" gets you to your "home" at around 8 or 9 p.m. at night. THEN tell them to bring their own lunch. But I digress....I thought you avoided Southwest because they didn''t serve meals.

----------------
On 7/22/2003 5:52:33 PM KCFlyer wrote:

Finally...to any LUV FA''s - I''m going MCI-MSY in early August....how many FA''s usually work a flight? - I thought I''d buy them a deli sandwich at the airport and bring it to them on board, and I don''t want to leave anyone out.   

----------------​

KC--Buy three sandwiches.

JS Wrote:

"OK, you tell me. How are the flight attendants paid? By the hour? Annual salary? Come on, quit beating around the bush."

JS,

I''m not going to waste my time looking things up for you. You are the one that chimed in with nothing but negative posts with no substance or knowledge. Have your facts straight before you opine. Have a good day.

----------------
On 7/22/2003 8:01:49 PM KCFlyer wrote:

Why don''t you take your lunch to work....make it non perishable so that you don''t get food poisoning because you don''t have a refrigerator to put it in, and then lets talk.  Do that for a week or two - and hold off on eating dinner until your "crew bus" gets you to your "home" at around 8 or 9 p.m. at night.  THEN tell them to bring their own lunch.  But I digress....I thought you avoided Southwest because they didn''t serve meals.  

----------------​

You didn''t answer my question. Are you saying the flight attendants should be paid more when there is a delay because they don''t have time to grab a hot meal at the airport? (eating money doesn''t fill you up too well but I guess it would help)

Or are you saying late flights should be held so flight attendants can get a meal at the aiport? Or something else? Sorry, I just don''t understand your point.

If I need to go hungry on the job in order for my opinions to matter, you''re in luck -- I''ve already done that! I used to work for an inventory service, and during the busiest time of the year, just after Christmas, I worked around 16 hours a day. Sometimes I had enough time between stores to eat, and sometimes I didn''t. I had to make sure I ate a lot of food before work and after work so I wouldn''t faint.

Regarding your last question -- kinda hard for me to fly WN being in Greenville, SC, and flying to NYC or Dallas. I was about to buy a DAL-HOU ticket recently but the Dallas trip fell apart, so maybe next time.

----------------
On 7/22/2003 9:43:11 PM Skyhungry wrote:

JS Wrote:

"OK, you tell me. How are the flight attendants paid? By the hour? Annual salary? Come on, quit beating around the bush."

JS,

I''m not going to waste my time looking things up for you. You are the one that chimed in with nothing but negative posts with no substance or knowledge. Have your facts straight before you opine. Have a good day.

----------------​

So the flight attendants aren''t paid by the trip?

>>My original post said 25 hours (average). I'm going to assume (dangerous!!) that you know what "average" means.<<

I have an M.S. in mathematics, among other degrees. I usually avoid layman's terms such as "average" when referring to an arithmetic mean. But let's see if I can use the word "average" in a sentence: " To describe swflyer's mathematical knowledge as 'average' would be a great disservice to those who have actually achieved such a level!"

SWAFLYER....

Just so everyone can get the facts correct lets say you work 30 minutes for free. Saying you clean the aircraft for 30 minutes is misleading. Now I do agree with you for what you all do you should be paid for your ground time. When you are on a turn you are doing things. Whether it is boarding, cleaning up or assisting cumtomers. Using your example 132 trips, 16 duty days, my guess is about 3 hours of your unpaid time is for actual cleaning. The only reason I bring this up is there are some on this board who do not work for SWA. They may think you guys are like a cleaning crew. You know like those other "money losing" carriers have on there turns.

Now on to something else you bring up and I can''t believe. Those who were topped out in 1991 have not had a raise since? I know you have had at least one contract since then and possibly two. Are you saying that the topped out wage has stayed the same in each contract?

In closing I would like to wish you (TWU 556) allthe best. I know in the end you will end up with a good contract.

Wow!! Go to work for a week, choose not to log onto the laptop, and the world goes crazy.

Special thanks to KCFlyer for pointing out a great example of flight attendant productivity. To answer the question generated by that posting, "No" not special pay for delays, just pay for my time and energy keeping the aircraft moving, productive and profitable.

wwtraveler, I stand corrected. All 17 steps were raised $1.50 at contract signing in 1996 and another $1.50 on 1/1/2000. All steps have risen a total of $3.00 in the last 12 years, since 1991 (annual raises for those not topped out).

The 1996 contract had a term of 6 years and was the only other negotiation we've had since 1991. We've been amendable since May 31, 2002 or 14 months. For historical perspective, the 1996 offer took 18 months to hammer out.

Appreciate the kind words!! I also "know we will end up with a good contract". We like working here and wouldn't be fighting so hard if it wasn't worth the fight.

It's about TIME.

Latest posts