Malaysia Airlines B777-200 Missing

Update: Hong Kong's Air Traffic Control Center reported on March 10th 2014 around 13:30Z that an airliner enroute on airway L642 reported via HF radio that they saw a large field of debris at position N9.72 E107.42 about 80NM southeast of Ho Chi Minh City, about 50NM off the south-eastern coast of Vietnam in the South China Sea and about 281NM northeast of the last known radar position. Ships have been dispatched to the reported debris field.  

Also being reported the two stolen passports were used by two Iranians.

700UW said:
Also being reported the two stolen passports were used by two Iranians.
In the scheme of things, does that information have any relevance to the accident investigation? The use of stolen or fake passports are a pretty common occurrence in southeast Asia.    

i had heard on cnn today that a chinese group has reportedly claimed responsibility for bringing down MH370  

its an unknown group or very little known group

700UW said:
Iran=Terrorism link, possible.

I'm not trying to imply that a terrorist act can be eliminated as a possible cause, that indeed may be the case but we are a long way away from making that determination. It would be useful to all of us if you kindly cite your source for the Iranian / Passport connection. The information that I have read based of the passenger manifest posted by Malaysia Airlines does not indicate that there were Iranians on the aircraft.

"The aircraft carried 154 Chinese citizens, 38 Malaysians, 7 Indonesians, 6 Australians, 5 Indian, 4 French, 3 citizens of USA, 2 New Zealanders, 2 Ukrainians, 2 Canadians, 1 Russian, 1 Italian, 1 Dutch and 1 Austrian."  

http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

and 

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/content/dam/mas/master/en/pdf/Malaysia%20Airlines%20Flight%20MH%20370%20Passenger%20Manifest.pdf

Reactions: 1 person
Knot  just as an example if this A/C lost total control and started to fall would sheer force rip it apart before impact or would it stay intact?

delldude said:

Depends what kind of G forces were exerted on the airframe. Every A/C has limits.
I would think it would break into several large pieces but idk

cltrat said:
Knot  just as an example if this A/C lost total control and started to fall would sheer force rip it apart before impact or would it stay intact?
There are far to many factors involved to make that determination. No one knows if the structural integrity of the airframe was compromised during the initial upset or if a catastrophic system/s failure lead to loss of control. I would surmise that if there were no primary load bearing surface structural failures, the aircraft would remain intact during the descent until the aircraft impacted the water or land, as the case may be.

On the other hand, if the structural integrity of the airframe were compromised from the onset, there is a high probability that the high dynamic loads (wing loading) on surfaces like the horizontal and vertical stabilizers (as an example) would liberate them during the high speed descent. Control surface flutter at high speeds would easily liberate those surfaces in short order. The wings and wing box structure would, IMO, remain relatively intact.  

Again, there are too many variables involved to accurately determine the exact failure mode at this point.               

Knotbuyinit said:
There are far to many factors involved to make that determination. No one knows if the structural integrity of the airframe was compromised during the initial upset or if a catastrophic system/s failure lead to loss of control. I would surmise that if there were no primary load bearing surface structural failures, the aircraft would remain intact during the descent until the aircraft impacted the water or land, as the case may be.

On the other hand, if the structural integrity of the airframe were compromised from the onset, there is a high probability that the high dynamic loads (wing loading) on surfaces like the horizontal and vertical stabilizers (as an example) would liberate them during the high speed descent. Control surface flutter at high speeds would easily liberate those surfaces in short order. The wings and wing box structure would, IMO, remain relatively intact.  

Again, there are too many variables involved to accurately determine the exact failure mode at this point.               
Thanks Knot.
Better 'wait and see' until more factual data before coming to irrational conclusions.
There is a lot of conjecture and '#### house' failure mode analysis that simply have no basis at this point.
Absolutely, in this day and age it is quite puzzling as to why there wasn't radio call or ping from the boxes.

Until we find evidence, we can 'at best' postulate different scenarios that 'may' or 'may not' have occurred.
One guy I talked to today believes it was an alien abduction... :p

B) xUT

Latest posts