More Jobs Cut in MSP

Whatever happened to the NWA Airbus Hanger that was built in Duluth MN, and did NWA ever build an engine overhaul complex in Hibbing MN?
They dumped the DLH hangar and the ATL hangar. Both are empty, but Delta uses the ramp space in ATL for parking. (and the airport uses the parking lost for its employees. Thats why the place looks packed, but the building is empty.)

And any negative story regarding MSP and or Mem(former homes of the GREAT Red Tails)....and DL(with Hubs in DTW/CVG/ATL/SLC) is a ..Surprise,...... WHY ?????

Not a good time for AA thats for sure, but I always hoped that every former NW route that DL "sheet canned"/downsized from Minny to the states of ND/SD/WY/MT/ID/WA, that AA/AE would have picked up from either ORD or even DFW.

Apparently, the company informed the MSP stock clerks that they will be cutting, er, I mean "transitioning" their numbers by 50%...
Outsourcing is good
Less people working is good
Lower quality of life is good
Welcome Change :angry:

how many people are affected and have they been offered positions elsewhere at DL? (not theoretically but actually)
I know there is still alot of sensitivity between what was DL and what was NW but DL is one company now and they treat their operations - maintenance included as one unit. I do hope they are able to grow maintenance operations not only in MSP but throughout the system but what is far more significant is that DL tech ops remains not only has expansive maintenance capabilities that it uses for its own use but it uses those capabilities to make money serving other airlines.
BTW, DL just affirmed that MSP is a highly profitable hub for DL - right after ATL. Fears that DL will pull down MSP have no basis in reality.
The cities that were served by 30 pax class turboprops were living on borrowed time; DL decided a long time ago that those aircraft didn't make sense on DL's network and as further small city and small aircraft service is cut by other airlines, it shows once again that DL made the tough choices early and is reaping the benefit of being proactive.
Since the cities that were dropped by DL are largely receiving service on a subsidized basis by other carriers - and then w/ no long term certainty that the service will remain - it validates that the mode for how those cities was served is the problem - and DL won't make bad business decisions even if it means ticking off some politicians in the process.

Reactions: 2 people
There's about 150 at last glance, but that's irrelevant. The group was told by upper mgmt. during the campaign not to worry, and that their work wasn't going anywhere, since MSP is both a good performing hub, and that MRO work would be increasing (both of which are true, of course). Many made the mistake of believing that, only to find a different reality. Same story with streak drivers, and leads in the tower, bagroom, and transfer groups. These latter groups will at least have the option of moving back to the ramp. AFAIK, the stock clerks have not been offered positions elsewhere, but that too, is irrelevant in the larger picture.

Reactions: 1 person
In the sense that any number of people is affected, then the number is irrelevant. given that ANY people are affected makes it relevant.
As with all things, what was said and what was heard often are very different but I doubt very seriously that DL told any group "not to worry" with respect to their location or their position - because DL can't make that promise to anyone. I don't believe DL made any statements about keeping anything in any location other than what they were obligated to do under the MN loan agreements assumed from NW and later repaid earlier. DL DID SAY that it would not furlough any full-time employees and it says it has kept that obligation.
While apparently neither you or I know the specifics of the stock clerk case, if DL offered comparable positions elsewhere or a different position in the same location, then they did hold up their end of the bargain.
Life is never static, change is reality, and adapting within the scope of the new reality is what ultimately matters. The fact that unions did no better job at protecting jobs on a system scale than occurred at non-union airlines during restructuring of most of the industry in the early 2000s validates that point. That is merely fact and is not intended to be taken personally or construed in any other manner.

"I doubt very seriously that DL told any group "not to worry" with respect to their location or their position..."

You can doubt whatever you want. Doesn't mean that it didn't occur.

Ha!

Well, since we no longer own our seniority, and have no exercise language, my guess is it'll be a 100% paycut for those affected.

I expect many BBQ's in MSP in the near future. :angry:
and "industry standard pay"unless the airline makes way more than Delta in which case they don't count.

Why can't there be one Maintenance union that doesn't suck..... <_<

And any negative story regarding MSP and or Mem(former homes of the GREAT Red Tails)....and DL(with Hubs in DTW/CVG/ATL/SLC) is a ..Surprise,...... WHY ?????

Not a good time for AA thats for sure, but I always hoped that every former NW route that DL "sheet canned"/downsized from Minny to the states of ND/SD/WY/MT/ID/WA, that AA/AE would have picked up from either ORD or even DFW.
Er. DTW was NW. Delta was ATL,CVG,SLC and JFK. NW was MSP,DTW and MEM.

I would like to know the status of the MSP hangars as well... I had heard that DL did give up 3 hangars - not sure which ones in exchange for 3 other ones.

Obviously the AM maintenance JV presents unknowns and there is clearly reason for distrust when it comes to maintenance among the network carriers... but
DL has done a far better job than the rest of the industry in using its own maintenance capabilities to make money through an aggressive MRO business. While we all would like to believe any American can competitively do any job with anyone else in the world, the simple fact is that the cost of labor is low enough in other parts of the world such that they can do work which Americans cannot do.
I had to make the dreaded call to tech support for my computer today. To my surprise the people on the other end - obviously in another country speaking English with an accent - although it was easily understandable - quickly solved the problem. Or at least told me my computer had serious enough issues that I had to make decisions based on information they provided. Not happy with the problem but was happy with the service that was provided - and I know full well that if that call was handled in the US, it would have cost 10 times what the mfr of my computer would have paid US workers.
That said, I have a lot stronger view of protecting American jobs than alot of people here might think.
I believe that a company needs to put forth an ENORMOUS amount of effort and needs to prove without a shadow of a doubt that they cannot continue to hire American workers to do the job they are considering for outsourcing.
I also believe that when a business is failing, there is a whole lot of latitude that must be provided to the company to turn things around... often labor doubts problems really exist when it is clear they are there and they should be doubtful. But I also know that business and economics require changes which must be allowed to take place or the result will be an eventual failure.
Within that framework, DL had its moment of latitude to restructure but it is a profitable business now. They do not have the latitude to outsource total JOBS which once were done inhouse. However, it is very possible that specific functions might one day no longer make sense to do inhouse and continuing to force keeping jobs which do not make economic sense to do inhouse only will result in a business failure down the road.
specific to maintenance, I have said before and will say again that I would gladly support a law saying that any airplane that flies to/from the US must be maintained by US workers or ones that are paid wages comparable to American mechanics... but I know that would never happen.
Thus, labor needs to hold mgmt responsible for preserving JOBS but not necessarily functions. Labor in my mind often does not get that distinction.
I truly hope DL will expand its maintenance capabilities in MSP and in other places where NW decimated its maintenance workforce. But my highest priority is that no DL mechanic - or any other DL employee - should see his or JOB (not function) outsourced if the company can remain profitable.
No exchanging hangars. Delta is dumping 3 bays in MSP. Period.

They are how ever building a state of the art complex for Overhauls.........in Mexico. :angry:

and delta could do 100% in house if they wanted to. HMVs going out only saved ~48M. The company(i mean TechOps) made 600M plus so 600M-48M= 552M. Also if Delta did HMVs it would drive down its cost for more HMV MRO work and the company could very well cover its losses with more MRO work (thus making its own HMVs cheaper to do). Tony Just doesn't want them done in house. Period. I hope that our next President (again TechOps) wants to do DELTA work in house along with a large MRO company. Technik seems to have no problem with it... :eek:

"I doubt very seriously that DL told any group "not to worry" with respect to their location or their position..."

Oh no, Kev. In the alternate universe where Delta is like the Virgin Mary...without sin or error, such a statement would never be made. The Arch-Cardinal for Atlanta and surrounding counties, His Excellency WT has spoken. :lol: Now go to your room and do 100 Hail Deltas and 20 Our Mothers, and ask for forgiveness.

Reactions: 3 people

Just wait. The NW ramp has yet to get the DGS treatment... Nothing says Change like DGS having more employees than the mainline ramp. :angry:

Latest posts