New American may not be worlds largest for long

Status
Not open for further replies.
WT will come on and say that DL has been looking at that for awhile and he would be right. DL doesn't need it though otherwise it would have offered a transaction sooner. Also DL has proven that you don't have to be the biggest to make the most. Right WT?

Reactions: 1 person
there is a thread on this topic on the DL forum.

If you read it, you would see that I am skeptical that DL will pursue a merger with AS.... but there is clearly a lot more being said so who knows what actually happen.

If AS and DL do tie the know - presumably only mutually - the advantage would be a much stronger network on the west coast but who knows if that really will make a difference between what DL could do on its own or not.

Size differences among the big three at this point are little more than bragging rights. All three have robust, global networks.

DL does see an opportunity to make strategic moves while AA and US are focused on the merger and UA continues to work thru its merger. Whether AS is part of those strategic plans remains to be seen...

but I do not see this as a make or break strategic move for DL. But I might also be significantly underestimating what this all means.

Reactions: 3 people
It would also kill WT if it were WN who was to merge with AS. These rumors are still going around at WN. I still think WN will buy or merge with another airline buy end of 2016. If it is only to obtain more a/c then so be it, something is in the works, just don't know when...

Reactions: 2 people
Way too much has been made of being the largest airline. I always felt AA could have made it as a stand alone carrier now the chapter 11 has leveled the playing field. They have top tier hubs, a good reputation and many new planes on order. US on the other hand has spent the last few years looking for a partner, first DL,then UA, and it finally achieved its goal. While concentrating its efforts on merging, its domestic route map has not grown and neither has its widebody fleet grown very much.
WN and B6 have chipped away at US's stronghold, the Northeast and this merger was a do or die for Airways.
Size does not determine success. Good customer service and good employees do. B6 is doing very well in spite of its size, good management and a simple fleet make up are part of their success.
Now we all wait to see if Parker will squander this opportunity by injecting US customer service or building on the AA name and reputation, time will tell.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts