New Citites

state government has nothing to do with the slots, they are controlled locally.

Cartpusher,

While you're technically correct, I'd venture to guess that you haven't spent a career in politics to come up with a statement like that.

You'de venture to guess right. I will say, however, that AA has ALOT of political pull, as does HP and neither were succesful in keeping slots awat from B6.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes AA and Delta to lay on non stop flights to New York. Currently there are no non-stops and their current prices range from the high 300 to the low 500 dollar range

I think someone said it would be ORD for JB's new city. It seems JB is still flying into small airports and continues to do so. ORD will not happen for a long time if it happens at all. I think SMF was a bad choice for JB. If it was a money making route AA, UAL and DAL would have already been flying it.

LiveInAHotel said:
I think someone said it would be ORD for JB's new city. It seems JB is still flying into small airports and continues to do so. ORD will not happen for a long time if it happens at all. I think SMF was a bad choice for JB. If it was a money making route AA, UAL and DAL would have already been flying it.
Some thoughts:

1) If AA, UAL, and DL could fly it as cheaply, they might already be flying it.
2) B6 is utilizing an aircraft that would otherwise be sitting idle during most of the hours this trip will operate, sticking their toe into the water first to see how this does.
3) They will probably stimulate demand for this market ala the Southwest effect.

That all being said, why aren't ONT and SEA getting beefed up service? It also seems like PDX and YVR might be good candidates for the try-the-redeye-first approach.

An America West FA was talking to us in the crew van the other day and she congratulated us on coming to PHX ... we told her that we havent announced anything yet however she said at the airport we're all set up at a gate and she has seen jetBlue signs places.

Think she's pulling our leg?
Is jB coming to PHX?
Isnt NYC-PHX over served?

Any thoughts?

downline...

PHX seems like a typical destination for jetBlue... transcon (i.e. probably start with a red-eye), leisure destination with some biz traffic. However, given that PHX already has very large LCC service from Southwest and America West (and less importantly but also in the market, Frontier and Ted), it seems like jetBlue would have better immediate opportunities. Will jetBlue fly to PHX... probably, eventually. Are there other better immediate opportunites for jetBlue? I think so.

funguy2 said:
downline...

PHX seems like a typical destination for jetBlue... transcon (i.e. probably start with a red-eye), leisure destination with some biz traffic. However, given that PHX already has very large LCC service from Southwest and America West (and less importantly but also in the market, Frontier and Ted), it seems like jetBlue would have better immediate opportunities. Will jetBlue fly to PHX... probably, eventually. Are there other better immediate opportunites for jetBlue? I think so.
What do you think are better immediate opportunities for jB then?

FLL-PVD or BDL?
JFK-YVR or PDX?
JFK-JAX or DFW?
JFK-TUS or COS?

downline7 said:
What do you think are better immediate opportunities for jB then?

FLL-PVD or BDL?
JFK-YVR or PDX?
JFK-JAX or DFW?
JFK-TUS or COS?
I think jetBlue's next best opportunities (and considering that summer is almost here, I am thinking about Fall and Winter)... are additional frequencies BOS-TPA/FLL/MCO, potential new service to connect the dots, notably BOS-PBI/RSW, and maybe BUF-MCO/TPA. I also think there is room to add flights on the JFK transcon routes where there is only night-time service, like SEA, SJC, and SLC. There is also room to connect the FLL-OAK/SJU/Aguadilla dots (and go after AA in another lucrative market).

In terms of new markets... Any major business market, without a large LCC operator is probably a better market... ORD, DFW, MSP, DTW all come to mind... And also, I think JFK-MIA would eventually be a good move for jb.

And we already know they have the LGA slots to use this fall as well.

funguy2:

While I agree with your post above, I would add a few more connect-the-dots routes that JB should consider before adding completely new routes:

BOS/IAD-SJU
IAD-MCO/TPA/PBI/RSW

(OK, I'm biased since I live in the DC area.)

Cosmo... I thought about those too... But if I were running jB, I'm not sure I would want to get any more involved in the ACAI/UAL battle about to errupt. I suspect the fares in those markets will get very cheap as ACAI brings on their Airbuses... But long term, those are markets that make sense for jBlue too.

funguy2:

I guess I wasn't really thinking about the implications of JB wading into the middle of the upcoming "Battle of Dulles". But I do believe that JB could start IAD-RSW or possibly IAD-PBI this fall since those routes are likely to be of a lower priority for ACA than bigger United markets like IAD-MCO/TPA/ATL/DEN/LAS/PHX/LAX/SFO/SEA, for example. JMHO.

Cosmo said:
funguy2:

I guess I wasn't really thinking about the implications of JB wading into the middle of the upcoming "Battle of Dulles". But I do believe that JB could start IAD-RSW or possibly IAD-PBI this fall since those routes are likely to be of a lower priority for ACA than bigger United markets like IAD-MCO/TPA/ATL/DEN/LAS/PHX/LAX/SFO/SEA, for example. JMHO.
Good example... and I would agree... these make sense.

If Branson's virgin whatever decides on BOS as a hub, which in my mind would be a better choice than the rumored other contender, SFO, then wouldn't JB want to focus the early 190's on BOS, to "suck out the oxygen" from Virgin? And I agree that IAD-anywhere is going to involve alot of ducking and weaving to stay out of the way of UA-Independence.

"then wouldn't JB want to focus the early 190's on BOS, to "suck out the oxygen" from Virgin"

You're kidding right? Branson has more money than Davy Crockett, and if he focused on BOS, with 320's vs the unproven and at best case 10% more expensive per CASM 190 (NOT counting the sub Blu pay rates), Blu would get stuffed. Jblu was proof of concept, offer a few stock options and it's amazing what folks will work for. Branson will surely take it to new heights... When you offer on "point to point" service, you don't have a hub system (and it's revenue premium to fall back on. And all at a time that Blue is starting to pay for MX. I guess Branson will even have the "they are under warantee, so no MX cost" accounting. Karma's a b1tch.