New Destroyer

Look at some of the work in Iraq and Afghanistan. There were very few people who could have mobilized and provided what we needed over there on short notice. Yet everyone was up in arms about no bid contracts.

Did you ever ask yourself the question why certain politically connected companies were getting contracts to do jobs that the military at one time did for itself?

Did you ever ask yourself the question why certain politically connected companies were getting contracts to do jobs that the military at one time did for itself?
Agreed. I am not sure if the host country's government and public would have supported our armed forces in those numbers over there (the numbers required for us to all the logistical work that KBR and Halliburton did). I am sure Halliburton hired many locals to do those jobs.

I also think it may have been more expensive, long term, to have that many more people as veterans of our armed forces. After all, we would now have to cover each and every one of those Halliburton employees as if they were veterans. Health care for life, etc...

It is an interesting question though.

Agreed. I am not sure if the host country's government and public would have supported our armed forces in those numbers over there (the numbers required for us to all the logistical work that KBR and Halliburton did). I am sure Halliburton hired many locals to do those jobs.

I also think it may have been more expensive, long term, to have that many more people as veterans of our armed forces. After all, we would now have to cover each and every one of those Halliburton employees as if they were veterans. Health care for life, etc...

It is an interesting question though.

Why would the Gooberment care what its people thought? They went in without a declaration of war, stay without a declaration of war and then just for giggles we start two wars both undeclared in Libya & Yemen.

The undeclared war in Iraq is supposedly over. yet we will have an Embassy that cost a BILLION to build staffed with 17,000 people and it's over???

If all of this isn't enough we sit around wringing our hands confused and amazed that they hate us and seek to kill us every chance they get. The war on Iran started in 1953 with the CIA overthrow of a democratically elected government because that government had the audacity to want control over their natural resources. Now we have Colonel Klink in the White House ginning up the war propaganda setting the stage for military action against Iran and using Israel as a potential scape goat.

B*tching over a few billion for a few ships is mere rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic while the real issue of our overtly aggressive interventionist policies go unchallenged here at home.

Reactions: 1 person
Serious thread drift here. I apologize if I started it.

Maybe if I said Ron Paul, Ron Paul, it will be ok. :p

Those are my views! Had them for many years prior to Dr Paul's runs for the White House. Ron Paul wasn't around speaking out when I faced the decision of possibly being inducted into the military, flee to Canada or resist and go to prison during the undeclared war in Vietnam. I opposed undeclared wars then as now. No less then Eisenhower himself warned of the Military Industrial Complex.

Defense procurement is a bastion of Crony Capitalism that makes TARP, GM, Chrysler & Solyndra combined look like a day at the beach. Congress refuses to exercise their over-site authority and just say "NO" to boondoggle over boondoggle ad nausea. Think it will get better?

Reactions: 1 person

When you invade a country it really does not matter if the "host" country's government and public approve of the number of soldiers. Did the average Iraqi differentiate between a US soldier and employee of KBR? Or did they just see another foreigner in their country?

Getting back on topic. Here's an article that makes you scratch your head when it comes to defense spending.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/us/politics/a-smaller-navy-ship-with-troubles-but-presidents-backing.html?_r=1

Looks like Mitt's solution is just to throw more money down the well.

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-spending-guns-triumph-over-butter-120715130.html

Looks like Mitt's solution is just to throw more money down the well.

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-spending-guns-triumph-over-butter-120715130.html

Yeah I read that! What a Crock-O-Shite.

You have to remember that Romney is "White, Bright and Obama like"

Anyone notice that the USMC's request was the only one that cut spending?... It's only $140M less, but hey, you have to start somewhere...

The USMC version of the F-35 is one of the things driving up the cost of the program. I think anyone would be hard pressed to make an argument that the United States would be vulnerable if the Marines had their toy taken away and had to get by with the F/A-18E/F or F-35C.